Registrations are now Fixed - Register and chat with other football fans ×
  • Members Currently Online:   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Stopped smoking

Harold

Trumpets GIFs | Tenor

Got to say I'm chuffed with masel....today is a full year since I took my last cigarette and tbh it wasn't as difficult as it has been in the past when I have tried to quit. I suppose my primary motivation has been the care of my health and mainly my heart condition. Don't know if I mentioned it on the previous version of the forum but a few weeks ago I underwent an MRI scan and the result of that was that my heart condition has improved. It will never get back to normal but to improve is amazing for me.

• Like 3

Rangers Fans are born, we are not manufactured, we do not choose, we are chosen, those that dont understand dont matter, those that understand need no explanation.

We are the chosen few, We Are The People!

No photo description available.

3 minutes ago, Harold said:

Trumpets GIFs | Tenor

Got to say I'm chuffed with masel....today is a full year since I took my last cigarette and tbh it wasn't as difficult as it has been in the past when I have tried to quit. I suppose my primary motivation has been the care of my health and mainly my heart condition. Don't know if I mentioned it on the previous version of the forum but a few weeks ago I underwent an MRI scan and the result of that was that my heart condition has improved. It will never get back to normal but to improve is amazing for me.

Great news for you Harold keep it up mate, i was up at 5h30 this morning and have already puffed away 12 ciggies.

Me and wifey try to outdo each other but as i have the lighter she can't smoke more than me🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sployal.gif

• 6 months later...

Well that is a year and a half since I stopped.....hooray.

• Like 2

Rangers Fans are born, we are not manufactured, we do not choose, we are chosen, those that dont understand dont matter, those that understand need no explanation.

22 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Well done, I have never stopped and we never entertain any smokers in the house either. Such a horrible habit.

Oh dear I was a smoker up until 11 years or so ago I never went to anyones home and smoked in there house as it to me was bad manners. Also it’s not a habit it is an addiction. If governments really wanted they could do a lot more to stamp smoking out but they and the tobacco companies make to much money. When I started smoking the adverts of the time told you how good it was for you. Doctors would smoke in Hospital Patients could smoke in the day room. 

New Zealand seem to be trying something different now it won’t imo stop it overnight it will make a black market for them 

The New Zealand government is pushing to make the country "smoke free" by 2025. New Zealand passed a historic anti-smoking bill in Parliament on Tuesday, banning the sale of tobacco to anyone born on or after January 1, 2009.

23 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Oh dear I was a smoker up until 11 years or so ago I never went to anyones home and smoked in there house as it to me was bad manners. Also it’s not a habit it is an addiction. If governments really wanted they could do a lot more to stamp smoking out but they and the tobacco companies make to much money. When I started smoking the adverts of the time told you how good it was for you. Doctors would smoke in Hospital Patients could smoke in the day room. 

New Zealand seem to be trying something different now it won’t imo stop it overnight it will make a black market for them 

The New Zealand government is pushing to make the country "smoke free" by 2025. New Zealand passed a historic anti-smoking bill in Parliament on Tuesday, banning the sale of tobacco to anyone born on or after January 1, 2009.

Mak, I disagree with banning smoking in any form although I agree with not selling to youngsters....that is simply another kick in the nuts for civil liberties and we are being slowly restrained as it is in our way of life. As for doctors etc in the old days.....we had a barber when I was a wee boy who would be cutting your hair wi a fag between his lips and the fag had about an inch of ash on the end and when the barber coughed, as was his want, the ask went all over you....lol. Latterly I didn't even smoke in my own house let alone anyone elses. We got a canopy put up over the back door where I could stand if it was raining.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Well done, I have never stopped and we never entertain any smokers in the house either. Such a horrible habit.

thanks Caz. as Mak says, it is an addiction. Tbh there are times I could still enjoy a ciggie (with a coffee in the morning and after my dinner at night). The main factor for me stopping was my scare with my heart. I must say however, I have saved sooooooo much money and bought numerous items with what I have saved.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harold said:

thanks Caz. as Mak says, it is an addiction. Tbh there are times I could still enjoy a ciggie (with a coffee in the morning and after my dinner at night). The main factor for me stopping was my scare with my heart. I must say however, I have saved sooooooo much money and bought numerous items with what I have saved.

I had the same problem Harold with my coffee etc but it as waned as the years go on hopefully you will be the same 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Harold said:

Mak, I disagree with banning smoking in any form although I agree with not selling to youngsters....that is simply another kick in the nuts for civil liberties and we are being slowly restrained as it is in our way of life. As for doctors etc in the old days.....we had a barber when I was a wee boy who would be cutting your hair wi a fag between his lips and the fag had about an inch of ash on the end and when the barber coughed, as was his want, the ask went all over you....lol. Latterly I didn't even smoke in my own house let alone anyone elses. We got a canopy put up over the back door where I could stand if it was raining.

Oh I don’t agree with it but I see what they are trying to do in NZ. I had a small room I went to it was only if the weather was so bad. I turned it into a darkroom so I can develop my own B&W pics that i take on film 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harold said:

I can understand where chocolate is my source of addiction.... And beer!

5 hours ago, Makdee said:

I would have to agree with this, I really hate it when I an with my daughter and someone just blows smoke in her face. It makes me angry.

38 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I would have to agree with this, I really hate it when I an with my daughter and someone just blows smoke in her face. It makes me angry.

As it should I will say the way things are looking vaping will be the next thing to show serious health problems 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Makdee said:

As it should I will say the way things are looking vaping will be the next thing to show serious health problems 

Guaranteed, especially from all the cheap Chinese imports!

Kids are all smoking them in schools now. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

just over a month to go and that will be 2 years off the ciggies....I shall report back then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's my two years in folks....seriously never thought I could manage but I suppose the thought of the alternative scared the bollox off me...lol. PS....saved a fortune.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Harold said:

That's my two years in folks....seriously never thought I could manage but I suppose the thought of the alternative scared the bollox off me...lol. PS....saved a fortune.

That's great mate. Yeah the alternative to not stopping was not a good one. Pleased for you 👍

53 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Agreed the money I have saved on and for all my holidays. And I am feeling better for it as well 

When did you stop and how many where you on each day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boro_boy said:

That's great mate. Yeah the alternative to not stopping was not a good one. Pleased for you 👍

When did you stop and how many where you on each day. 

I am off them 13 years soon be 14. On an average day a minimum of 40. If drink was involved upwards of 100

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Makdee said:

I am off them 13 years soon be 14. On an average day a minimum of 40. If drink was involved upwards of 100

wow....thought I was bad mate. Before getting a vape I was about 20 a day but with a drink Saturday & Sunday I was 40.....lol

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 10:12, Makdee said:

I had the same problem Harold with my coffee etc but it as waned as the years go on hopefully you will be the same 

My pal Bobby was a really heavy smoker, he's been stopped 15 years now. Yet if he has fish & chips takeaway he has to have a smoke after. Strange how he just can't give up that one occasional cigarette.