EURO 2020 - Get your Predictions in for the Last 16 ×

Has golf just sold its soul? Premier Golf League: Revolutionary £250m series scheduled to begin in 2023

Detailed plans for a £250m Premier Golf League aimed at revolutionising the professional game are to be revealed later this week.

BBC Sport has learned that the Formula 1 style global competition is scheduled to begin in January 2023 and would include 18 tournaments targeting the top 48 male players in the world.

A dozen of those events would be staged in the United States with the others "chasing the sun" around the world. Each competition would be worth $20m (£14m) with $4m going to the winner and last place picking up $150,000.

By way of comparison, the biggest purse on the PGA Tour for a single event is $2.7m from a $15m prize fund at the Players Championship.

Full details

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57382968

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

not having a great interest in golf apart from watching bits of the big tourneys and the Ryder cup it really doesn't bother me. I'm just trying to get a grasp of what has been said here on a basic level. Seems to me that this new format wants to be played over and above the tourneys that take place at the moment. Obviously they want the best players so does that mean the best players (who signed up for the new format) would pick and choose what other established tourneys they participated in or will they be shunned from these leaving players further down the standings to take part in established tourneys ? It reminds me of that shambles...The European Super League that was proposed then crumbled.