• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Week 5 of the super SPL fun predictions for the season 2021 - 2022 fellow members.

• Guest changed the title to Week 5 of the super SPL fun predictions for the season 2021 - 2022 fellow members.

Yes Hairy it's time, get them inūü§£

5 games on Saturday 11th then the 1st Edinburgh derby on Sunday 12th of September.

image.png.f1605c2801f4dd37921d041be5b86919.png

After week 4 Dug takes the lead on 14 points Bastion is only 1 point behind.

Saturday 11th September

St Johnstone                                              12:30                                  Rangers
    Celtic                                                         15:00                                   Ross County
    Dundee                                                     15:00                                   Livingston
    Motherwell                                                15:00                                  Aberdeen
    St Mirren                                                   15:00                                   Dundee United

Sunday 12th September

Heart of Midlothian                                  12:00                                   Hibernian

Predictions in for Saturday 11th of September 12h15.

A reminder of the standings after week 4

Dug              014
Bastion         013
RD                012
Mak             012
Boro Boy     012
Hairy           011
SP                010
Mags          008

And to help you in your predictions the SPL table after week 4

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/table

Saturday 11th September
St Johnstone  12:30  Rangers ............. 2
Celtic              15:00   Ross County ..... 1
Dundee          15:00    Livingston ......... 1
Motherwell     15:00    Aberdeen .......... X
St Mirren        15:00    Dundee United .. 2

Sunday 12th September
Heart of Midlothian 12:00 Hibernian ....  X

Saturday 11th September

St Johnstone                              12:30                                  Rangers 2
    Celtic                                                         15:00                                   Ross County 1
    Dundee                                                  15:00                                   Livingston 1
    Motherwell                                             15:00                                  Aberdeen x
    St Mirren                                                   15:00                                   Dundee United x

Sunday 12th September

Heart of Midlothian                                  12:00                                   Hibernian 1

• Administrator

Saturday 11th September

St Johnstone                                              12:30                                  Rangers            2
    Celtic                                                         15:00                                   Ross County      1
    Dundee                                                     15:00                                   Livingston            1
    Motherwell                                                15:00                                  Aberdeen              x
    St Mirren                                                   15:00                                   Dundee United      2

Sunday 12th September

Heart of Midlothian                                  12:00                                   Hibernian           1

Saturday 11th September

St Johnstone                                              12:30                                  Rangers...........................2
    Celtic                                                         15:00                                   Ross County..................1
    Dundee                                                     15:00                                   Livingston......................1
    Motherwell                                                15:00                                  Aberdeen........................2
    St Mirren                                                   15:00                                   Dundee United............2

Sunday 12th September

Heart of Midlothian                                  12:00                                   Hibernian.......................2

19 minutes ago, sployal said:

Harold, Devil has posted his predictions, is this OK with you?

I thought you were posting for him????

Naw, it's okay mate....was cleared by BB for him to post on your most illustrious thread my man......:thumbup:

Saturday 11th September
Motherwell     15:00    Aberdeen .......... X

Sunday 12th September
Heart of Midlothian 12:00 Hibernian ....  1

Saturday 11th September
Motherwell     15:00    Aberdeen .......... 1
St Mirren        15:00    Dundee United .. 1

Sunday 12th September
Heart of Midlothian 12:00 Hibernian ....  1

On 09/09/2021 at 12:00, Hairy Scot said:

Saturday 11th September
Motherwell     15:00    Aberdeen .......... 2

Sunday 12th September
Heart of Midlothian 12:00 Hibernian ....  1

Changing my predictions for this week-end

Saturday 11th September
Motherwell     15:00    Aberdeen .......... 1
St Mirren        15:00    Dundee United .. 1

Sunday 12th September
Heart of Midlothian 12:00 Hibernian ....  X

A couple from my hung over stroll this morning and arriving back to hotel late last night. Didn't go in the boozer as it didn't look too Manc friendly ūüėā

Top festival in Glasgow Green, nice meal and far too much to drink.

Not a bad city for having a drink to be fair, I did end up walking into a Celtic boozer bear Glasgow Green called Craic, place was far too moody for my liking so we moved on to Maggie May's 

20210912_083104.jpg

20210912_083059.jpg

20210911_232105.jpg

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

A couple from my hung over stroll this morning and arriving back to hotel late last night. Didn't go in the boozer as it didn't look too Manc friendly ūüėā

Top festival in Glasgow Green, nice meal and far too much to drink.

Not a bad city for having a drink to be fair, I did end up walking into a Celtic boozer bear Glasgow Green called Craic, place was far too moody for my liking so we moved on to Maggie May's 

20210912_083104.jpg

20210912_083059.jpg

20210911_232105.jpg

Did you do a ground tour?

Just now, Bastion said:

Did you do a ground tour?

No mate, back in Manchester now nursing a major hangover. That picture was taken at 8am this morning when I was heading back from a local Co op with paracetamol for the wife ūüėā

Lovely traditional stadium to be fair, a few people were looking at me wondering what I was doing when I was up against the blue gate trying to see inside.

Results for week 5 of the super SPL fun predictor season 2021 - 2022 fellow members.

Saturday 11th September

St Johnstone                                            12:30                             Rangers                               2
    Celtic                                                        15:00                            Ross County                         1
    Dundee                                                    15:00                            Livingston                            X
    Motherwell                                               15:00                            Aberdeen                            1
    St Mirren                                                  15:00                            Dundee United                    X

Sunday 12th September

Heart of Midlothian                                12:00                             Hibernian                              X

Results of week 5 by participants

SP 4 out of 6
Dug 2 out of 6
Bastion 2 out of 6
Mak 2 out of 6
Boro Boy 2 out of 6
RD 3 out of 6
Hairy 3 out of 6
Mags 3 out of 6

The standings after week 5

Dug              016
Bastion         015
RD                015
Mak              014
Boro Boy      014
Hairy            014
SP                 014
Mags            011

Things are beginning to get tight lads, Dug hangs onto his 1 point lead, RD now equal with Bastion in second place but look behind you lads.
Mak, BB, Hairy and SP (4 good results and winner of the week) all on 14 points, Mags brings up the rear but is doing great after missing out on the first 2 weeks of predictions, where would he be if he had started predicting since the start of the season?

Decent week-end of football in the SPL, Rangers top the table after a hard fought win against St Johnstone, tims had a decent second half to get the better of a stubborn Ross County. Elsewhere Dundee and St Mirren were held to 0 -0 draws at home, the Steelmen thumped the sheep 2 - 0 and the Edinburgh derby was all about keepers exploits in a hard fought out 0 - 0 draw.

A few afters

Full time St Johnstone Rangers 1 - 2

Manager Steven Gerrard hailed James Tavernier as the "best right-back in Scotland" after his "world class" goal gave Rangers a hard-fought Scottish Premiership win at St Johnstone.

The champions toiled in the first half, and fell behind to Michael O'Halloran's fine strike early in the second period as St Johnstone put in a typically resilient display.

Kemar Roofe's penalty started Rangers' comeback.

image.png.ce19ea28bfe32fa69f4290dbf1d251bd.png

But Kemar Roofe's penalty and Tavernier's sensational 25-yard effort moved Rangers top of the table.

"That's the reason why he's captain," Gerrard told Sky Sports. "Because of his quality, he can step up in big moments and he's got us three points rather than one today.

"There's obviously been a lot of noise around Nathan Patterson, who's a fantastic player and is eventually going to be Rangers' top right-back for a long time. But we have to remember we've got the best right-back in Scotland as well."

The win moves Rangers two points clear of Hibernian and Hearts, who face each other in the first Edinburgh derby of the season on Sunday.

St Johnstone, meanwhile, are still without a league win this season, though they were boosted before the match by news of manager Callum Davidson extending his contract to 2025.

After a stuttering start to the season, Old Firm victory against Celtic before the international break was the spark Rangers were looking for to ignite their campaign.

But a slow, error-strewn first half was a return to previously stilted displays, and it took going behind early in the second half to bring Gerrard's team to life.

St Johnstone - in their first game since losing key players Jason Kerr and Ali McCann on deadline day - were typically excellent without the ball, and O'Halloran provided the perfect sucker punch to match.

Hayden Muller's terrific pass from deep found the former Rangers forward and he controlled the ball and cut inside a flailing Filip Helander before firing past Jon McLaughlin.

The blow seemed to shake Rangers - without self-isolating centre-back Connor Goldson for the first time in 82 games - awake and Ryan Kent, who was again below his best to this point, dribbled into the box, and delayed his shot enough to entice Muller to catch his left leg.

Roofe was emphatic from the spot to level, and the furore after the ball hit the back of the net cranked up the intensity further.

St Johnstone captain Liam Craig tried to wrestle the ball from Roofe, Alfredo Morelos gave him a slight nudge, and then Shaun Rooney got involved in the melee as all four players were booked.

The Rangers fans behind either goal responded to that flurry of action, and their team showed the kind of intensity which had been sorely lacking in the first half.

Tavernier and Kent both flashed shots just over, and Roofe began causing problems for St Johnstone's back three, before the captain stepped up.

The right-back was missing for the win against Celtic due to Covid-19 isolation, and had failed to recapture his incredible form of last season.

But his intervention in Perth was magnificent, as he stepped on to Kent's pass and sent the ball looping over Zander Clark and into the corner to ultimately earn an important three points.

St Johnstone did not fold easily, though, and had efforts themselves, the best of them falling to new signing Ali Crawford, but Tavernier did enough to force him into side-footing over the bar from close range.

Man of the match - James Tavernier.

image.jpeg.99c19b5a8bcfb3f1beef6b9c599f21f4.jpeg

Tavernier delivered a sensational winner, as well as putting in a crucial challenge to put off Ali Crawford in front of goal with the scores level.

What did we learn?

Like last season, Rangers found a way to win a tough match when not at their best. Until they scored, St Johnstone managed to frustrate their visitors but it was startling how the intensity of the entire match went up in the aftermath of Roofe's equaliser.

The fans roared, Kent came to the party, and Tavernier produced the type of match-winning contribution he delivered regularly last term.

The key for Rangers now is to start producing 90-minute performances, which have so far eluded them. But, while they iron out some creases in their play, finding a way to win is the key and they did that well.

The only negative was an injury to defender Filip Helander, with Gerrard saying afterwards the early signs "don't look good" for the Swede.

St Johnstone, meanwhile, were shorn of Liam Gordon and Murray Davidson, as well as having to cope with the departures of Kerr and McCann. What's key, though, is that whoever steps in, their 5-2-1-2 shape is honed perfectly.

They are incredibly hard to score against, and if they can add a bit more in the final third they will have a fine league campaign once more. Despite a winless start, there will be no panic with Davidson in charge.

What they said

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson:
"There are a lot of things there that were really pleasing. The big disappointment was when we went 1-0 up we went we started making basic mistakes and got out of our shape too easily and allowed Rangers to apply pressure."

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard:
"We're champions for a reason. We've got good players but we also know how to win. We've had to go late and deep to find a way against Celtic, we've had to do the same today. That's what gets you there in the end."

What's next?

Rangers begin their Europa League group stage campaign at home to Lyon on Thursday (20:00 BST), while St Johnstone are back in action at Aberdeen in the Premiership next Saturday (15:00).

Full time tims Ross County 3 - 0 no match report

Full time Dundee Livvy 0 - 0

Leigh Griffiths says the "goals will come" after completing his first 90 minutes in 18 months in Dundee's 0-0 draw with Livingston.

The on-loan Celtic striker, 31, was denied by Max Stryjek in the second half as both sides settled for a point.

image.jpeg.e096f107a7dd81521dbbf64bc9402f52.jpeg

The Livingston goalkeeper also saved efforts from Max Anderson and Ryan Sweeney.

"My goal record speaks for itself," said Griffiths, who has 234 club goals in 488 appearances.

"When I'm fit and firing on all cylinders, the goals will come. I felt good, I felt I did okay."

Dundee boss James McPake said it was "a massive bonus" getting a full game into Griffiths and added: "You can see he's a threat, still. He didn't want to come off."

David Martindale's Livingston remain bottom but are now just a point behind Ross County, while Dundee - still looking for their first league win of the season - are ninth on three points.

The late Bobby Waddell, a league title winner with Dundee in 1962, was honoured with a minute's silence prior to kick-off.

Anderson was denied by Stryjek's terrific save in one of Dundee's early attempts and the goalkeeper excelled again when the head of Sweeney looped Cammy Kerr's cross towards goal.

In between times, Livingston were forced to withdraw Craig Sibbald on a stretcher, prompting Odin Bailey's introduction from the bench.

Ben Williamson flashed a shot over for the visitors shortly before the break.

Griffiths tried to get Dundee going early in the second period by taking on a 35-yard shot from an indirect free-kick but the ball trundled through to Stryjek.

But the goalkeeper was given a much sterner test moments later as Griffiths got free inside the box, his shot deflecting up and bouncing towards the line only for Stryjek to palm wide at the last second.

The striker crossed for Luke McCowan to head into the arms of Stryjek and the keeper collected a further Griffiths effort as time ticked away.

Man of the match - Ayo Obileye.

image.jpeg.1e9fc7de05ea7e72f24953c4aea8d3d3.jpeg

Stryjek made the saves but Obileye (second from right) was effective in both boxes for Livingston.

What did they say?

Dundee manager James McPake:
"We had three or four really good chances in the first half that we've got to be scoring. We could've been comfortable in the first half.
"Second half was just a really poor game. It just became a battle. What I was happy with was how we defended our box."

Livingston manager David Martindale:
"We're away from home, we've got a clean sheet and that's the first point of the season so I'm fairly happy with the result. I was really delighted with Max Stryjek's performance.
"When I looked at the fixture list, I always thought the first six games was going to be a tough run-in. Once we get all our players back I think we'll be in a really good place."

What's next?

Dundee meet city rivals Dundee United for the first time this season next Sunday (12:00 BST) before Livingston host Celtic later that day (15:00 BST).

Full time Motherwell Sheep 2 - 0

Motherwell striker Kevin van Veen's ability is "God-given", says manager Graham Alexander, after the Dutchman inspired his side to a Scottish Premiership win against Aberdeen.

image.jpeg.7ee7a1afe922ef9515080cb8c0317af3.jpeg

Van Veen scored in the first half before assisting Juhani Ojala after the break to move Motherwell into fourth.

The 30-year-old Dutch forward joined from English League Two side Scunthorpe in the summer.

"I can't teach him anything on the ball," said Alexander.

"It's God-given and when he is in that sort of mood, he's hard to play against. When he adds the discipline off the ball, he's a top player. We know what he is capable of."

Aberdeen drop to sixth and have not won in six attempts since a 2-1 Europa Conference League win over Breidablik.

As much as Van Veen was the stand-out, Motherwell's stand-in captain Liam Kelly played a crucial role too after his return from the Scotland squad last week.

Aberdeen attempted to beat him repeatedly, with Calvin Ramsay denied twice. Funso Ojo had a close-range effort saved too and Christian Ramirez should have faired better with the goal at his mercy.

The visitors could not convert any of their many chances and Motherwell made them pay. Declan Gallagher was facing Motherwell for the first time since leaving in the summer. Kaiyne Woolery made sure it was not a warm welcome back for the former captain by beating him with a cross, which allowed Van Veen to head into the net.

Motherwell upped the ante and Tony Watt was twisting and turning in search of his third goal in as many games. But again, Aberdeen pushed, Kelly denying Marley Watkins with two big saves either side of half-time.

Glass' side had 14 shots on goal in the opening hour but Motherwell only needed two to claim the points.

Ojala was left open in the Aberdeen box as he made an unusual venture forward, with the Finnish defender heading home his first goal for the club from an excellent Van Veen cross.

The Dutch striker was enjoying himself and almost beat Aberdeen goalkeeper Joe Lewis again with an audacious cross. Lewis did well to scramble it off the line and Liam Grimshaw was not able to bundle the ball into an empty net.

Motherwell tails were up as home fans pleaded for a third and decisive goal. Woolery missed a golden chance and Scott Brown attempted to score his first Aberdeen goal, but predictably, Kelly was there to deny a player in red.

Man of the Match - Kevin Van Veen.

image.jpeg.c417be02d989b329b4954c6dc88a6d2e.jpeg

Van Veen played a part in both goals while also displaying his excellent technical ability.

What they said

Motherwell manager Graham Alexander:
"Aberdeen are a very good team and they move the ball really well. We had to have discipline in our shape. We scored two goals of the highest quality.
"They were great goals and I am delighted to get three points. We didn't get sucked into bad areas and we gradually grew into the game."

Aberdeen manager Stephen Glass:
"When you have as much of the ball as we did, you need to do something with it.
"I think defensively it was a bigger disappointment. We were on top and they swung it in our box once and we suffered. We suffered at both ends of the pitch. When they are clinging on at 1-0, it's a different game."

What's next

Motherwell travel to champions Rangers next Sunday (15:00 BST) in league action, while Aberdeen host St Johnstone 24 hours earlier.

Full time Buddies D Utd 0 - 0

Manager Jim Goodwin was pleased but frustrated as his St Mirren side's search for a first Scottish Premiership win of the season continued after a stalemate with Dundee United.

The Paisley side are now five without victory, with only Livingston and Ross County below them in the division.

Goodwin was left aggrieved after Eamonn Brophy had an effort ruled out when Curtis Main was penalised for a push.

"I thought we had a decent goal chopped off," he said.

"People will say Curtis was grappling with the defender, and he is, but the defender was also grappling with Curtis. He's got too much strength for him and it's a brilliant finish from Brophy.

"And that's the fine margins we're playing to unfortunately. On another day that goal might stand and we're standing here with three points instead of one."

Both sides went close to finding a winner, with the home side's Richard Tait having an effort well saved, and United's Marc McNulty hitting a post.

The visitors - who remain in seventh - might be left to rue injuries that forced off defenders Liam Smith and Ryan Edwards.

Goodwin gave 16-year-old Dylan Reid his first start, while Australian right-back Matt Millar and Wolves loanee Connor Ronan made their debuts.

image.jpeg.5a43d62ac5d15c2d3fd9154ee164014c.jpeg

Dylan Reid (right) made his first start for St Mirren at 16 years of age.

But as the first half wore on, the hosts began to look the more likely to be cut open, with Peter Pawlett at the centre of most of United's good play.

The midfielder drove down the left and knocked the ball to Ian Harkes, whose shot was saved but deflected towards goal, and defender Joe Shaughnessy had to be alert to head it off the line.

Then Pawlett played a one-two with Harkes to open up space for himself, but blasted over with the goal gaping.

Brophy volleyed the ball into the net from close range for St Mirren after the break, but the referee ruled it out and penalised Main for a foul in the build-up.

Main headed over a minute later, while at the other end Louis Appere broke clear and forced Jak Alnwick into a save.

And then United really should have taken the lead when McNulty burst through but he delayed his shot then eventually clipped it off the outside of a post.

The hosts were finishing the stronger, though, and it took a brilliant save from United goalkeeper Trevor Carson to keep the scores level when he palmed over Tait's powerful effort.

Man of the match - Eamonn Brophy.

image.jpeg.3c77b77951e71ea7e34b67772fe480d1.jpeg

Brophy had a quiet first half but was pivotal in helping St Mirren become more of a force in the second.

What did they say?

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin:
"I'm a little frustrated, but I've got to be happy with another clean sheet - that's two back-to-back against good opposition [St Johnstone and Dundee United].
"People may look at the result and see a boring 0-0 but I don't think for the fans here it was that way. I thought it was a decent game with two attacking teams."

Dundee United manager Thomas Courts:
"We certainly created a lot of good chances and had some good combination play. We inherited a team that didn't create a lot of chances last year so it's a bit of a breakthrough for us.
"Hopefully the killer instinct is the next part for our team."

What's next?

St Mirren are next in action on Saturday away to Hibernian (15:00 BST), while United face city neighbours Dundee in their first derby meeting of the season on Sunday 19 September (12:00).

Full time Hearts Hibs 0 - 0

Hearts and Hibernian failed in their bids to reclaim top spot in the Scottish Premiership after a fierce Edinburgh derby ended in a stalemate.

Both goalkeepers pulled off fine stops in a closely-matched contest at Tynecastle to keep the scores level and maintain both sides' unbeaten starts to the league season.

Hearts' Craig Gordon denied Martin Boyle twice before thwarting Kyle Magennis with a stunning stop, and Gary Mackay-Steven was rebuffed three times by Hibs' Matt Macey.

The draw leaves both capital clubs on 11 points, one behind leaders Rangers, and it means Hibs are unbeaten in their past four visits to Tynecastle.

Not since May 2018 had Hearts beaten Hibs at Tynecastle. Yet, despite their struggles to get the better of them on home turf, they had chalked up victories at Easter Road, and even at Hampden while a division below their rivals.

And early on, the main threats were coming from Robbie Neilson's side as they looked to leapfrog their rivals in the league.

Ben Woodburn ignored the attention of five white shirts to send a pot-shot just over. Liam Boyce's header missed the target. Stephen Kingsley met a corner before his goal-bound effort was cleared. And a rasping Mackay-Steven shot was pushed away.

Hibs were having most of the ball, but Joe Newell's cross which unexpectedly hit the top of the bar was their only real opportunity of the opening exchanges.

However, when they began to look after the ball better, the chances arrived. Boyle thumped in a long-range effort which Gordon palmed away, before the goalkeeper tipped around a post after the forward's frightening pace had stretched the defence.

The game was finely poised, and within a minute both sides had huge chances.

image.jpeg.71d88d69c55ec5f325cd35c7f4b2465a.jpeg

Hearts' Josh Ginnelly (right) has a header saved by Hibernian goalkeeper Matt Macey.

Hibs' Magennis found space but his close-range shot was weak. Then Mackay-Steven twice forced great saves from Macey - the first from point-blank range as the Hearts winger broke into the box.

Mackay-Steven had been Hearts most dangerous player, but that was his last say in the game as he went off on the hour mark. His replacement, Josh Ginnelly, soon directed a header on target which Macey pushed away.

Hibs had been very much second best since the break but, just as Hearts thought they were on top, they needed their goalkeeper to bail them out.

Moments after Alex Gogic drove a left-foot shot narrowly past, Kevin Nisbet's cutback found Magennis, but Scotland goalkeeper Gordon, at full stretch, managed to get his fingers to his skidding effort to divert it wide. A stunning stop.

The back and forth action continued right to the end. Nisbet volleyed wide for Hibs. Then Macey had to pull off another stop, this time from his own captain Paul Hanlon, who got into a mess trying to clear a cross and skewed towards his own net.

Nisbet and Megennis both forced further saves from Gordon as the desperation to find a winner continued, but in the end both had to settle for a point.

Man of the match - Ben Woodburn

image.jpeg.b6b497bc8a2f707da163acdcd5f14514.jpeg

It could have gone to either goalkeeper, but Hearts' Woodburn (left) was at the source of most of the home side's good play, showing great touch and vision.

What did they say?

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson:
"I thought it was a very entertaining match. Very exciting, end-to-end - I quite enjoyed it.
"There's a wee tinge of disappointment that we didn't take the three points but it shows how far we've come in the past 14,15 months."

Hibernian head coach Jack Ross:
"I genuinely enjoyed it. Both sides had several opportunities. Both goalkeepers were terrific.
"It was just a really, really good game. Terrific atmosphere as well. Our supporters were magnificent. We had periods when we were really good and periods when we had to dig in and see out periods of pressure. We did both parts."

What's next?

Hibernian are at home to St Mirren in the Scottish Premiership on Saturday, 18 September (15:00 BST), while at the same time Hearts are away to Ross County.

And the SPL table after week 5

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/table