Walter Smith has sadly passed away

Makdee

IT is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of our former manager, chairman and club legend, Walter Smith.

Chairman, Douglas Park commented: “On behalf of the Rangers board of directors, staff and players, I convey my deep condolences to the Smith family. Walter leaves behind a wife, children and grandchildren, all of whom are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

“It is almost impossible to encapsulate what Walter meant to every one of us at Rangers. He embodied everything that a Ranger should be. His character and leadership was second to none, and will live long in the memory of everyone he worked with during his two terms as first team manager.

“I spoke with Walter as recently as last weekend. Even when he was battling illness, he was still able to provide advice and support. For that, I am personally grateful. I know that he continued also to maintain dialogue with senior members of staff, including our manager, Steven Gerrard.

“Walter will be sorely missed by all of us at Rangers.

“Winning 10 top-flight titles as manager, five Scottish Cups and six League Cups, as well as leading his club to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, he will be remembered by the football community across the world. His spells as Scotland manager as well as managing in the English Premier League underlined his credentials as one of the great modern day football managers.

“However, for Rangers supporters, he was much more than just a football manager. Walter was a friend to many, a leader, an ambassador and most of all-a legend.”

As a club, we ask that the Smith family’s privacy is respected at this very difficult time. We will provide further updates in due course via club channels

9296C06C-99EC-4774-9D40-70657BBE56B4.jpeg

I am truly gutted at his passing he along with Souness revolutionised Scottish football 

He was a man who lived the club he was a man who lived his dream he didn’t suffer fools gladly but he could control the most awkward of players. 

He will be sadly missed R.I.P Walter Smith (73)

12 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

73 is not that old!

Do you know how he died yet or has that not been released to the public?

He had been ill with throat cancer for a while BB 

28 minutes ago, Makdee said:

I am truly gutted at his passing he along with Souness revolutionised Scottish football 

He was a man who lived the club he was a man who lived his dream he didn’t suffer fools gladly but he could control the most awkward of players. 

He will be sadly missed R.I.P Walter Smith (73)

Holy shit.....just read about this mate.....also gutted at this news. RIP Mr Smith.....a true Rangers legend.

Struggling here. As a 53 year old Rangers fan I remember the days when I first started going with mates to the games. We were regularly 4th or 5th in the league maybe the odd cup final but were miles behind Aberdeen and Dundee United (Walter was asst manager) and Celtic..miles behind them.  Then David Holmes had the vision. Get Souness in as player / manager. Souness did a great at Rangers but by his own admission his best ever signing was Walter Smith as Assistant Manager. These two completely changed Scottish football and Smith stayed when Souness left and what a job he did completing the Nine! 

He was a great man. A great leader of men. A great Ranger

I’m greeting without the videos! 

The last time I felt this was when Davie Cooper passed away at far too young an age ! During the dark days I mentioned earlier he was the one shining star. I’m so glad he got the chance to play under Souness and Smith before leaving for Motherwell to play alongside ex Rangers team mate Bobby Russell 

I ll watch the videos a little later. 

Club Statement Re Funeral and Memorial services for WS

THE passing of Walter Smith has touched every member of the Rangers family, and the club can today update that plans are being put in place for a public memorial service.

The memorial will take place on Friday 19th November at Glasgow Cathedral. Please note, this will be an invite-only event. The service will be available for free via RangersTV.

A private, family funeral is to be held for Walter on Wednesday 3rd November, prior to the public memorial. As a club, we ask this privacy is respected by all supporters, the wider public and the media.

It is the intention for the cortège to pass Ibrox at 3:15pm, entering from Helen Street, driving in the direction of Paisley Road West before rejoining the Motorway. 

The club would like to put on record its thanks to our supporters, supporters of other clubs and the wider community for their kind words and support at this difficult time.