Car MOT and Service

boro_boy

• Administrator

Had my ford focus in last month, that cost £288 to pass its service and MOT, needed a few things doing to it.

My Insignia has just cost me £726 to get it through the Service and MOT 😭

That needed a new water pump and timing belt as the bearings had gone in the pump and was leaking coolant (car overheated on Saturday about 1 mile before I got home) checked the tank and it was empty. So brought forward the service and MOT and got the garage to pick the car up and drop it off. It also needed 2 rear pads and 2 front coils. 

But I guess they are hopefully back on the road for the next year!!

31 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Had my ford focus in last month, that cost £288 to pass its service and MOT, needed a few things doing to it.

That needed a new water pump and timing belt as the bearings had gone in the pump and was leaking coolant (car overheated on Saturday about 1 mile before I got home) checked the tank and it was empty. So brought forward the service and MOT and got the garage to pick the car up and drop it off. It also needed 2 rear pads and 2 front coils. 

My Skoda Octavia cost me the price of the MOT. £35 with no advisories. :beer

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

My Skoda Octavia cost me the price of the MOT. £35 with no advisories. :beer

I've not really had any issues with the Insignia other than coils and brakes. I blame the fucking pot holes for the coils breaking. But she's got 160,000 miles on her now and has been very reliable. Things don't last forever and bearings can fail anytime.

How olds your Octavia and how many miles. 

5 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I've not really had any issues with the Insignia other than coils and brakes. I blame the fucking pot holes for the coils breaking. But she's got 160,000 miles on her now and has been very reliable. Things don't last forever and bearings can fail anytime.

did you no start a thread about this no long ago ?

Get a newer car......lol

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Harold said:

did you no start a thread about this no long ago ?

Get a newer car......lol

No that was the other car, the Focus which we call "Ebola" as the first time I drove it from wales to Middlesbrough I had to stop off at Bala Reservoiur to have the biggests diarrhea shit of my life!!

Its cheaper to pay the £700 now rather than pay £200+ a month for the nest 3-5 years depending on the car. 👍

When either of them become too expensive or unreliable, i'll ditch them in the sea!

45 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

2016 and 74,000.

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

man you got lucky with that. if that went its goodnight for the engine 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

man you got lucky with that. if that went its goodnight for the engine 

Oh I know, the temp just jumped to 130+ *c. 

But I also noticed what I thought was oil on the drive way, looked at my security camera and the car started leaking on Thursday and the missus has been driving it to Berwick and back so very very lucky 🙂. Least my timing belts done now, was due at 200,000 miles. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mr Magnificent said:

And German engineering. It helps! 👍

I personally don't think that matters these days. An engnie is an engine, they are all built to precise tolerances. I'm a firm believer if you drive your car as if your a rally driver and don't get it serviced, you'll have many, many problems. But if you look after it and drive it normaly, and get it services iaw the manufacturers advice using genuine parts, you'll have not many issues. 

german cars are not worth a rub these days. my son has had 2 BMW and a merc and all 3 were scrap tbh. the girl over the road also had 2 BMW and both got scrapped. years ago they were built like tanks but not any more. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

german cars are not worth a rub these days. my son has had 2 BMW and a merc and all 3 were scrap tbh. the girl over the road also had 2 BMW and both got scrapped. years ago they were built like tanks but not any more. 

BMWs are usually driven my young men who think they are rally drivers!!