My Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redblood

Wembley Stadium - London

98101A76-BB07-B421-DFF895746BC5CDBE.jpg

Key facts

Club: none | Opening: 2007 | Capacity: 90,000 seats

History and description

Wembley Stadium is, after Camp Nou, the second largest stadium in Europe and the standard playing venue of the English national team. It also hosts the annual League Cup final, FA Cup final, and the Community Shield.

Wembley Stadium replaced the old stadium with the same name that had stood in its place since 1923 and had been host to many cup finals. The old Wembley Stadium got demolished in 2003, after which construction of the new stadium started. After several delays, postponing the opening of the stadium for almost two years, the stadium finally got completed in 2007.

Wembley Stadium officially opened on the 19th of May 2007 with the FA Cup final between Chelsea and Manchester United (1-0). Earlier other official football matches had already been played, of which a match between the English and Italian U21 sides was the proper first.

The new stadium was designed by architecture firms Foster and Partners and Populous and is estimated to have cost a total of £757 million. Most iconic feature of the stadium is its 133 metre tall arch, that, with its span of 315 metres, is the longest single span roof structure in the world.

Wembley Stadium furthermore has a sliding roof  that sits 52 metres above the pitch. Even though the roof does not completely close, it does cover every seat in the stadium, which makes Wembley the largest fully covered stadium in the world.

The stadium hosted the 2011 Champions League final between Barcelona and Manchester United (3-1) and will again host the Champions League final in 2013 to mark the 150th anniversary of the FA.

Edited by redblood

2 hours ago, Canaries said:

The best day supporting City happened here at Wembley last May

Careful what you say in front of the Boro lads :lol: You dominated them that day.

Been once for United (Community Shield) and a few times for England. All decent experiences

31 minutes ago, redblood said:

8 quid for pisswater when I went back 2007

£5 at Carling cup final in 2011. Tho sa was able to lean over, and get several freebies. that machine that pours 4 at a time, is well within reach.

Bad record at new Wembley. 1 win (Carling Cup Final 08) 4 losses. (Carling Cup Final 09, FA Cup Semi 2010, FA Cup Semi 2012, Capital One 2015).

On 16/03/2016 at 9:19 AM, St Andrew said:

Been there once with Brum...

The rest is history. 

Iv'e been 3 times with Blues, 91-95, 2011. Also the millennium twice. 01 and 02.

41 minutes ago, St Andrew said:

I was at the old Wembley for the John Gayle show against Tranmere and watched Taity rave on against Carlisle.

Wembley is Wembley, old or new. shame the twin tower's have gone tho.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    World Cup Facts
    Newest Member
    World Cup Facts
  • Forum Statistics For: Tuesday, 2019-05-21

• Total Posts
    • Total Topics
    • Total Members
  • 7 Who will win the European Cups

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Featured Topics

• When it comes to clubs being punished for the indiscretions of those running the club it is usual for football supporters to feel a degree of sympathy for the supporters of that club. If Celtic are hammered by the authorities (aye right!!) i will have little sympathy for the Celtic support who have been complicit in the cover up.  Just a couple of examples.. The online Sun newspaper ran with a story from the late Sean Fallon. In the story Fallon is directly quoted as saying...'It is nonsense to say he (Stein) did nothing. As soon as he heard the rumours he kicked him (Torbett) out the club'...The Celtic supporters association threatened the Sun with a boycott if they didn't edit the DIRECT QUOTE!! The Sun , for reasons known only to them, changed the story and i have never bought the paper since. TBF i don't buy any newspapers now or click on any links.  The Daily Record and Sunday Mail are running these stories and the Gordon Wadell piece at the weekend was fairly accurate and hard hitting leaving Celtic little wiggle room. What do the Celtic support do when they read this? Ask searching questions? Demand the club tell the truth? Ask for a public enquiry? Nope they threaten to boycott the Daily Record!! As i said i don't read these rags but i have seen some of the recent pieces on other forums. My question to the editors of these Rags is why now? Why wait all these years? Why have they not been at the front leading the campaign for the victims of this dreadful scandal? I suspect Celtic have been threatening legal action but i want the Rags to answer this very pertinent point as it will put this Celtic board in the dock alongside all their predecessors with the exception of Fergus McCann 
    • Sweep sweep. That club is a disgrace and a boil on the arse of Scotland. It should be lanced.
    • Yes. I found the last series disappointing. They tried to cram too much into 6 episodes. Final episode was nonsense. Let's build more brothels! 
    • I have. Arise Bran the Broken!  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.