• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Carravetta

Sir Alex Ferguson says David Moyes 'right man' for Man Utd

Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United did not make a mistake hiring David Moyes to succeed him as manager.

Ferguson defends the appointment of former Everton boss Moyes, who was sacked after eight months, in Secrets of Success, a documentary to be screened on BBC One on Sunday.

"We did the best under the circumstances we were in," the 73-year-old tells the BBC's Nick Robinson, who presents the documentary. "We picked the right man."

Ferguson ended his 26 years as United manager in 2013, recommending fellow Scot Moyes as his successor.

David Moyes succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United boss but was sacked after just eight months

He only told the club's chief executive, David Gill, of his plan to step down a couple of months earlier and claims most of the other potential candidates to replace him were unobtainable. "I don't think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man," Ferguson says. "Unfortunately it didn't work for David.
"Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34447257

What bollocks. Moyes did not meet any of the criteria to be Utd manager as proven by his performance and I think Fergie is just covering his arse here. The whole thing was handled terribly and will secretly fill him with regret. What strikes me as odd is that Fergie must have known what a huge job it would have been to takeover United, but only gave the club 2 months notice to find someone? Sounds very irresponsible and rash. 

Word is that Guardiola was the number 1 choice and he was given the offer but did not respond, and soon announced a deal with Bayern. He, understandly, probably felt a lot more comfortable working with what Bayern had rather than trying to teach Cleverley tika-taka! I think our current squad (with a couple more additions) would be brilliant under Pep if he decides to takeover in the future. LVG will leave him a solid foundation to work with, unlike Fergie did for Moyes

Edited by United Road

The job was ultimately too big for Moyes. You cannot blame him for accepting the position, anyone in the right mind would if they were offered it.

Moyes would have been more successful had he kept on Sir Alex's backroom staff

Edited by Carravetta

Moyes approached the position in the wrong manner. Telling Vidic and Ferdinand to look at how Phil Jagileka plays must have been an insult to both. As Carravetta says the job was too big for him, Had he tasted silverware somewhere it may have given him a platform to build on.