New Points System, Member Shop and Betting Apps Read more... ×
United Road

Slow Internet

Oh my god, my Sky broadband is so fucking slow today.

Can't watch anything without it buffering every 2 seconds, I've been disconnected from about 5 games of FIFA and now even facebook is taking all night to load. My current numbers:

Ping: 153ms

Download: 0.26 mbps

Upload: 0.45mbps

Wtf? I've reset the router a few times. Is there any way I can check if it's me or if the broadband is having problems in my area?

It's not device related as I'm wired on the laptop and it keeps dropping on the xbox as well. Service status isn't usually helpful cos it isn't narrowed down to specific areas, just the UK as a whole

8 minutes ago, Canaries said:

I once had talktalk and the download speed was an amazing 0.19mb

We got rid of it after 2 weeks and went with Virgin, never looked back since

Is that a speed 1997 called and asked back for?

32 minutes ago, Canaries said:

I once had talktalk and the download speed was an amazing 0.19mb

We got rid of it after 2 weeks and went with Virgin, never looked back since

Did you get Fibre with Virgin, they are the best when you have fibre with them.

Normal Broadband via your phone will be the same with any company, surely, as the internet comes from the same place from the same wires!! So when people say BT or Plusnet is shit, then it would be the same for any company providing you with your broadband.

I'm with Sky for TV, phone (which I never use) and Broadband. I get about 18MB download speed which is good. I'm thinking about going for Fibre which would increase my speed to 38MB for £10 a month or 78MB for £20 per month but do I really need it, I can do everything with the speed I have at the moment. The problem with me is I like to have the best of everything, but I'm calming down now as I like to spend money on other things, so I'll be staying with bog standard Broadband and i'm not updating to the New HTC phone when that comes out, i'm waiting for my free upgrade from EE in November!!!

They have some good offers on Sky Broadband at the moment

I've managed to get fibre half price for 1 year (get between 25-28mb) which is more than enough for the devices which are used in the house.

26 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Did you get Fibre with Virgin, they are the best when you have fibre with them.

Normal Broadband via your phone will be the same with any company, surely, as the internet comes from the same place from the same wires!! So when people say BT or Plusnet is shit, then it would be the same for any company providing you with your broadband.

I'm with Sky for TV, phone (which I never use) and Broadband. I get about 18MB download speed which is good. I'm thinking about going for Fibre which would increase my speed to 38MB for £10 a month or 78MB for £20 per month but do I really need it, I can do everything with the speed I have at the moment. The problem with me is I like to have the best of everything, but I'm calming down now as I like to spend money on other things, so I'll be staying with bog standard Broadband and i'm not updating to the New HTC phone when that comes out, i'm waiting for my free upgrade from EE in November!!!

Yes I have fibre

Get speeds of around 58mb

My speed seems to be okay today. Up to a download speed of about 3.5mbps which is normal. This area I live in is pretty bad for internet as there's no fibre optics installed and the best I can hope for is 12mpbs. Virgin aren't even available so when I moved in it was between talk talk and sky

6 hours ago, United Road said:

Keeps dropping below 1mb, which is pathetic. Think I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow. I'm not paying for this dial-up shite

I would have thought all broadband providers would have phased out the dial up process years ago and fully focused on fibre.

I've had the internet since 2008 and back then fibre was standard with virgin media

8 hours ago, United Road said:

Keeps dropping below 1mb, which is pathetic. Think I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow. I'm not paying for this dial-up shite

Dial up lol

Where the fuck do you like.  In the 90s lol

Oh right, I was going to say fucking hell if you still using a modem and hogging the phone line haha.

I remember when I used to connect to the internet with my 14.4k modem haha, then we got a 28.8k then a 56k modem. Then got broadband from NTL which is now Virgin. Well that was all at my parents but used to hate it when someone picked the phone up and it cut you off.