• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
The Realist

2017 Holiday Thread!

On 22/04/2017 at 22:51, United Road said:

Only 3 weeks until I go away now. Cannot bloody wait. Was just doing a little more research and came across this video. Looks like a magical place.

Decided on visiting Haarlem, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Kinderdijk and Keukenhof while I'm there

That does look very nice. 

I'm not going abroad this year, just going to Wales in the summer (Pembrokeshire) so see the missuses family, this is where my parents meet hers haha :) 

Guest Red Devil

Just done 5 days in the Lake district, have Tenerife for ten days later this month and we're off to Paris for five days at the end of July. 

Three days on the Disney resort, followed by two nights and days in Paris. 

Dunny if I'm going to have another holiday in October/November but if we do were going to Tenerife again. 

Guest Red Devil
4 hours ago, boro_boy said:

You must be rolling in the cash!! :) 

I've got a decent job and my missus has her own business that's a money pit, I wouldn't say were rolling in cash but we do enjoy our holidays. 

I am off to Costa Adeje tomorrow morning for ten days, so that should be good. i have been to Tenerife before just not Costa Adeje. 

We have bought a shit load of camping gear. The tent is inflatable and goes up in five minutes and is really cool. We hope to do The Lakes, Fort William area, Loch Ness, Suffolk and  couple nights in Cornwall. Some of that may have to wait until next year though.

Mrs is going to the States in July and we hope to do three nights in Budapest later in the year. 

Fitting it all in is the tricky part. 

Greetings from Costa Adeje.

Initial impressions are ok. The resort is a bit more spread out than we are used to, so we shall see. Lanzarote and Gran Canaria entertainment parts are a lot more compact.

The Gran Hotel is excellent. Especially the roof top pool. Superb view of ocean and mountains. 

Beats work any day!

2 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Take some photos and share, I'm over there in two weeks as you know.

Yeah take some photos from the roof top. Sounds like a spectular view!

2 hours ago, Amy said:

Sounds like you're having a great time @Negan I am going away Monday-Friday next week, Only to a caravan in north wales.

Amy a holiday is a holiday.

Have a great time!

5 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Take some photos and share, I'm over there in two weeks as you know.

We have been impressed with hotel thus far. 

I see it as a bang on 4 star instead of 5. Can't fault it really just a few things are a bit dated. No big deal though.

Main problem so far with Costa Adeje is that it is so spread out. If you have young kids it is a lot of walking. My wife is disabled and has mobility issues, so we have had to use taxi services (about 5 euros) a time.

We like it though...I guess we have been spoiled with Lanzarote and Puerto del Carmen being so compact.

IMG_20170510_214923302.jpg

You did indeed mate. Lovely place and hotel.

Roasting hot. I spent the day in the nudist part on the roof.

We prefer Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote. More compact and less hills. 

@Red Devil

Gran Hotel is fine. Just massive! 4.5/5

Breakfast buffet is 5 star. Haven't eaten there at any other time.

Evening entertainment is definitely aimed at an older crowd. We haven't bothered.

Pools are great. Rooftop is best but adults only. Very strict sunbed reservation policy. If you ain't there the towels and belongings are scooped up by security. 

Two little cafe bars hundred yards down road as you exit hotel to left are great. One next to Oriental Slow Boat and one further down called San Marcos is good for pizza and a pint. 

The Winchester is the best English bar i have found. Just below Tony Roma's on beach front. I didn't rate Tony Roma's.

Weather is blistering hot! 

3 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

I've done Tony Roma's and it's a very poor version of the Florida version I've been in. 

The Winchester is the sports bar on the beach front isn't it? 

If so it's a top bar, I've had a fair few in there. 

Yes mate. You got it!

Reply below added 4 minutes later

IMG_20170515_194113808_HDR.jpg

Been looking at this sign every day. I have to say I am a little troubled by it. 

IMG_20170515_204849137_HDR.jpg

No. She has been walking everywhere.

We thought about hiring a scooter but she has done really well.

We haven't been down to the sea front every day though.

The climate helps her a great deal. 

Like i said earlier. We like it here but it is too spread out and hilly and for that reason we prefer Puerto Del Carmen on Lanzarote as it is easier to get around.

It is still nice here though and I would recommend it. 

i have decided too take a few months out next year too go on a total relaxed holiday by myself.

Just to absorb the country, explore and just not have a care in the world.

Suggestions anyone?

Not sure whether to just stay in one place ive never been or do the whole backpacking thing.

Let us know where you have been mate so that we can count those places out and suggest somewhere new.

Costa Adeje was very hot in day time.

Over 90 each day from 12 til 5.

Looking for somewhere to pitch tent next weekend. 

Got back from my trip to the Netherlands tonight. The best week of my life! Absolutely breathtaking places - Leiden, Haarlem, Amsterdam, Rotterdam/Kinderdijk and Keukenhof. 

Lucked out on the weather, too, which was great all week including 28C on Wednesday

Edited by United Road

3 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Was looking at Rotterdam for a weekend break only last week, what's the verdict mate?

Is there enough to do?

It was ok. There's a lot of unique structures but not an awful lot to do. The Erasmusbrug has some spectacular views, though, as does the area where the Hotel New York is.

If you do go (and the weather's good), I strongly recommend you hop on the waterbus to Kinderdijk. It's a World Heritage Site and a brilliant experience.

Edited by United Road

Going to Belgium in 5 weeks for 3 nights. Staying in Gent and will visit Bruges and half-day in Brussels. I've got Maastricht planned for one day but it's 2.5 hours travel and I'm not sure it'll be worth it. Any suggestions for good Belgian cities please? And good beers