Red Devil

Death at Drayton Manor

A young girl has died after she reportedly fell from a water ride at Drayton Manor theme park this afternoon.

The child, 11, apparently plunged off the Splash Canyon ride at the attraction in Tamworth, Staffordshire.

Emergency crews rushed to the scene and the girl was airlifted to hospital.

The ambulance service said it was called to "reports of a patient in the water" at the popular theme park shortly before 2.30pm.

Yikes, was only on this ride with my youngest child four weeks ago.

Apparently, the young girl was on a school trip, I do hope the teachers were properly watching these children, there could be serious repercussions if they've just let them go off on their own. 

Admin

What most her parents be thinking. Goes on a school trip and ends up dead. Very sad. 

I have been on this ride too.

It isn't the best, from memory you just hold on to a bar in the middle and hope for the best.

Very tragic event. 

2 hours ago, simonutd said:

you cant have a teacher sat with the kids in every ride, it would take forever on a school trip,

Then don't take the ride. 

36 minutes ago, simonutd said:

when I was a lad on school trips we all went on our own, what about roller coasters, they cant have a teacher sat in ever 4 person cart

Agreed mate. However, a couple of parents didn't get their baby daughter home after a school trip.

Until that risk is eliminated then don't take the ride. 

you can never eliminate it, but at 12 when there are signs and people say stayed seated at all times, then you should know to stay seated at all times,

6 minutes ago, simonutd said:

you can never eliminate it, but at 12 when there are signs and people say stayed seated at all times, then you should know to stay seated at all times,

Sort of agree.

Kids will be kids though. How many times did you break the rules at school?

Every day?

To be honest the teachers should have done a risk assessment and decided that ride was unsuitable for children only. 

Regarding rollercoasters, the kids are actually locked in, if an issue were to occur the teacher couldn't really help anyway. These water rides are unbelted and easy to move around. 

this is whats going wrong with the world too much paperwork, health and safety used to be called common sense when I was growing up, your on a ride it says stay seated, you stand to move seats, its not nice but why should the school and ride be blamed if some who is old enough to follow instructions doesn't follow it.

Admin
1 hour ago, simonutd said:

this is whats going wrong with the world too much paperwork, health and safety used to be called common sense when I was growing up, your on a ride it says stay seated, you stand to move seats, its not nice but why should the school and ride be blamed if some who is old enough to follow instructions doesn't follow it.

Its called accountability, someone has to be at fault. Just the sad world we live in!