• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

boro_boy

My VPN Doesn't work on my Work WIFI

Admin

This isn't a big deal but it's annoying, my Works free wifi which is available on the base accommodation and at other sites in the base is very restrictive, no gambling or torrent sites among the blocked sites. Also, the VPN sites are all blocked. My VPN said the ports are blocked and there is nothing I can do to fix this. I'm sure there will be ways and means around this though. I use PureVPN and bought a 2-year subscription a few months back. 

I also have a choice of the works internet or BTOpenzone which no sites are blocked other than the ones in the High Court Ruling. So like I said this isn't a problem, it's more annoying that anything else as I'm technically paying for something I can't use and its blocked. I thought the whole thing about VPNs is they overcome blocked pages, ports etc.  My missus couldn't use this in China when she went over there in April.

Does anyone know anything I can try to get around this?

Cheers

They have closed off all the unused ports to stop people using VPN's and looking at content they don't approve of.

It is like a failsafe. 

It they have used port blocking software then you are screwed. 

Also, if you did manage to set a VPN up on their network to view content they don't allow then technically you would be in violation of their IT policy and punishment can be severe.

Admin
1 hour ago, Negan said:

They have closed off all the unused ports to stop people using VPN's and looking at content they don't approve of.

It is like a failsafe. 

It they have used port blocking software then you are screwed. 

Also, if you did manage to set a VPN up on their network to view content they don't allow then technically you would be in violation of their IT policy and punishment can be severe.

They wouldn't know I was using a VPN though. I just log onto the other WI-FI network now, the BTOpenzone one which isn't filtered or restricted, and I can use my VPN on it, 

They would as a VPN will use PPTP or L2TP protocol to establish their connections and transfer data.

The ports these protocols use can be closed by  network administrators to prevent their use on certain networks.

Edited by Negan