Babycakes

John Terry to Birmingham?

_96499794_john_terry.jpg.e64b5e77cd0b17fbce16b0662f8e50a7.jpg

Birmingham City have made a contract offer to former Chelsea and England captain John Terry, according to Blues boss Harry Redknapp.

The 36-year-old left the Premier League champions at the end of the season after making 717 appearances and winning 13 major trophies in 22 years.

However, the centre-back only featured 14 times for Chelsea in 2016-17.

"We've made him a good offer and we have done the best we can," Redknapp told TalkSport.

"It's up to John now, but we would love him at Birmingham."

Terry is Chelsea's third-highest all-time appearance maker, behind Ron Harris and Peter Bonetti, and holds the club record for appearances as captain.

But he only started two Premier League games after September last campaign as manager Antonio Conte preferred Gary Cahill, Cesar Azpilicueta and David Luiz as his three centre-backs.

Redknapp recently linked up with Terry for Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick's testimonial match, with Terry captaining Redknapp's All-Stars.

He could become Redknapp's second signing as Blues boss, following the arrival of goalkeeper David Stockdale on a free transfer from Brighton on Tuesday.

John Terry: Birmingham City offer ex-Chelsea & England captain contract - BBC Sport

Be interesting to see how he goes in the championship. Can't stand him though.

Absolute legend. I'd love him down at Brum next season.

Exciting times.

He won't be cheap, probably demanding premiership style wages. I think it would be a bad move, he thinks he's it. I'd personally stay well clear of him. 

Word has it from my Bluenose mates that he has been offered a 100k a week for a year with the prospect of the managers job if we get promoted.  

Why has he chosen Birmingham of all clubs?

I don't think he has, but no doubt Harry is a major factor.

SuperAlly would probably know more than me in all fairness.

Apparently Aston villa want him too.

Reply below added 4 minutes later

Aston Villa and Birmingham City are set to go head-to-head to sign John Terry.

The former Chelsea and England defender is available on a free transfer this summer after leaving Stamford Bridge at the end of the season.

Villa were linked with Terry after his release, but Blues appeared to have stolen a march on their bitter rivals for his signature after Harry Redknapp confirmed they had made an approach for the 36-year-old.

The Blues boss revealed that he had made Terry a 'good offer' which would see him become the highest-paid player in the club's history.

However, a bitter tug-of-war is now set to take place with Villa offering more money

Steve Bruce is also keen on the defender and has been playing golf with Terry in Portugal this week.

Terry has been holding out for around £100,000-a-week to continue playing amid interest from Premier League sides Bournemouth and West Brom.

The ball is now in Blues' court to continue negotiations with neither owner wanting to lose face - and no decision is now expected until the middle of next week at the earliest as the cat and mouse game is set to continue.

Terry made over 700 appearances for Chelsea in a 22-year spell before his departure.

Transfers: The latest on Aston Villa and Birmingham City's battle for John Terry - Birmingham Mail

So he went to Villa then :) 

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

So he went to Villa then :) 

Lol. It is rather funny.