boro_boy

SPL Match Day Discussion

Decent first half display from Rangers yesterday up at Ross County saw them going in at halftime 0-1 up. Unfortunately the performance level dipped 2nd half and they allowed County into the game to much for my liking especially at 0-1. Thankfully Morelos, who contributed nothing yesterday, was taken off and Cummings came on to grab a 2nd with a fine shot. It was required as County got one back from a penalty near the end. Decent 3 points.

One step forward then two back as in the defeat at Ibrox to Hibs yesterday. After getting back on level terms fucking Tavernier makes a totally unnecessary challenge on Scott Allan and concedes a penalty. Twat.

Decent couple of away wins...last week at Ayr in the cup....1-6 & yesterday at Hamilton 3-5. Our defence is shocking at times though. Good to see Josh Windass really coming on to a game and banging in the goals Long may it continue. Good thing about the weekend was that Aberdeen lost at Hibs allowing Gers to go into 2nd place on goal difference. Next weekend Aberdeen face Celtic at Pittodrie & we're at home to Hearts. Good opportunity to put space between us & Aberdeen if Celtic win. Mind you they flopped at home yesterday against St Johnstone drawing 0-0.

7 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Do you think you'd be able to catch Celtic?

Is 9 points too much? 

How many games are  left to play?

38 games in total to play so 11 remaining. Doubt if we can catch Celtic. Personally I'd be happy to get 2nd this season then give it a right go next. We have better players now and hopefully can keep Cummings, Murphy and Martin. I also hope Morelos isn't sold to the Chinese before the end of their window which is apparently different to ours.

Another very good win beating Hearts 2-0 at Ibrox. From what I heard on radio reports and have read this morning it was a good performance and we basically dominated the majority of the game. Wee downside was that a few very good chances were missed. We'll need to sharpen up & take these.

On 2/25/2018 at 13:24, Harold said:

Another very good win beating Hearts 2-0 at Ibrox. From what I heard on radio reports and have read this morning it was a good performance and we basically dominated the majority of the game. Wee downside was that a few very good chances were missed. We'll need to sharpen up & take these.

Missing chances and still winning 2-0 is surely a good thing tho, a sign of progress?

8 hours ago, The Realist said:

Missing chances and still winning 2-0 is surely a good thing tho, a sign of progress?

Yeah...correct but call me a greedy bastard....I want teams hammered when we have the opportunity. Not a major complaint though as we are doing well at the moment. I recorded the game at Perth on Tuesday & watched it Wednesday...again an away win (1-4) and some good football. Downside was Murphy sustained a broken toe due some deplorable challenges on him. Hope he's okay for the Old Firm game week on Sunday.

Home game against Celtic on Sunday. I'm hoping for a decent performance considering how we've been playing and scoring recently. The team looks to have a lot more confidence. Good additions in the last window....Goss, Murphy and Cummings albeit as loans. Windass has come on a bundle but I always felt this boy was better than he first showed. Young Docherty, another window signing (permanent) is also looking good in midfield. Can we get our first win over them since the cup semi  in 2016 ? This will be an interesting game.

Rangers took the lead within 2 minutes but Celtic equalised shortly after. We played well first half and led 2-1 until just before the break. Defending was shocking (again) but Rogic & Dembele took their goals well as did Windass & Candeias for Rangers. Celtic went down to 10 men in the 2nd half and the game was there for the taking but Rangers stood off and let Celtic play far too often & they won it with a fine strike from Edouard. Morelos had two great chances in the 2nd half but fucked up both. Personally I'd have played Cummings as striker as he is scoring (3 against Falkirk last week) & his confidence must be high but Murty waited until under 15 minutes left before he brought him on from the bench. At least in the first half Rangers showed they can match Celtic but they have to keep it up for the full game. Got to hand it to Celtic for playing the way they did when down to 10 men.

Wasn't all doom and gloom for me though....I had fifty quid on both to score.

Once again that chink of light at the end of that tunnel has been dimmed. I cannot get my head around the team this season. Play some excellent football and scoring aplenty then bump.....back down to earth. Unfortunately this home defeat against Killie means that if the sheep win their game in hand they go above us into second.

Just now, boro_boy said:

So your not very consistent at the moment then. 

When you do think you'll be able to challenge Celtic again, for the title?

No we certainly are not.

Challenge Celtic ? Tbh, I was hoping next season because in all honesty, their standard since last season has fallen but it will depend on summer recruitment and the financial position to allow this.

2-2 at Motherwell at the weekend. Gers were woeful first 45 but bucked up their ideas 2nd half and scored two to earn a draw. Motherwell as expected were right in their faces from ko and tbh Rangers don't seem to be able to handle that physical (sometimes over physical) approach. Hearing rumours Frank de Boer may be in line to take over next season.

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

Always nice to see those cunts get beat.

Unfortunately it gives Celtic the opportunity to win the league next week at Parkhead against us & I don't fancy our chances there.  We've GOT to win today at home against Hearts to go 2nd but after that it's gonna be very difficult. We have one home against Kilmarnock then 2 aways to Aberdeen & Hibs to end the season. Only team in the Premiership top 6 to end the season with 2 aways.

After an unproductive first half with a lot of effort but nothing to show for it Rangers came good in a far better 2nd half showing. We went 2 up then once again the defence was shocking allowing Berra all the room he wanted to score with a header. Rangers actually could have had and should have had at least five in the 2nd but greedy options were taken instead of passing to a better positioned player. Anyway, 3 points which were much needed, in the bag.

4 minutes ago, Locke said:

Makes me wonder whether those in bogey coloured shirts actually lost on purpose yesterday so they could seal the title against Rangers? 

Nah. Celtic could have scored a few but for some excellent defending and goalkeeping. They'd have wanted it yesterday so as to put Rangers in the position of giving them a 'guard of honour' or not as the come out of the tunnel next week.

1 hour ago, Harold said:

After an unproductive first half with a lot of effort but nothing to show for it Rangers came good in a far better 2nd half showing. We went 2 up then once again the defence was shocking allowing Berra all the room he wanted to score with a header. Rangers actually could have had and should have had at least five in the 2nd but greedy options were taken instead of passing to a better positioned player. Anyway, 3 points which were much needed, in the bag.

1st half was painful to watch.

Recorded yesterday's game so will be sitting down to watch it shortly with a few relaxing apperitifs as I was driving yesterday evening so had to refrain from the bevvy.