Jump to content
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

The Realist

Smart Meter's!

Recommended Posts

Getting pestered regularly now to have these things installed, i dont like it at all. Its too control us and im not having it, what next a fecking tv camera in the living room to monitor my tv viewing. They say its good for us but im not buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

I'm trying to get one, I had one when I was with British gas and my supplier before that (ovo). I think they are great as you can see your total you've spent as the day goes on. Nothing wrong with them tbh and nothing to dislike about them. You get accurate bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

I don't understand how the are not good. I've ready storied about them being insecure and some people being charged more. But I think they were the early.ones. I've had nothing but good experiences from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I don't understand how the are not good. I've ready storied about them being insecure and some people being charged more. But I think they were the early.ones. I've had nothing but good experiences from them.

Each to their own fella. I will have nothing that control's me, in any way shape or form. Apparently they are not good for your health either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin
9 hours ago, The Realist said:

Each to their own fella. I will have nothing that control's me, in any way shape or form. Apparently they are not good for your health either.

How are they not good for your health lol. Its surely just the same as a wireless router. Also how does it controller you? It saves your time and gives you accurate bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

That telegraphs article with the 6 reasons to change is bollocks

 

Smart meters could make it harder to switch gas and electricity providers

It does not effect you changing at all, I had smart meters with ovo energy, they were first generation and they just turned into normal standsrd meters when I changed. I then got one with British gas which was different again but they could only give me a smart meter for electricity. I'm now waiting to get smart meters from.eon as my.smart electricity meter from British gas is now dumb lol.

Smart meters don't bring an end to estimated bills (or billing errors)

There argument is you still get an estimated forecast so you still pay your set direct debits over the 12 months. That's obviously as you can't see into the future. Your bills are still accurate as they are what you used exactly. 

Smart meters won't work if you have a poor signal in your area

this is because they use a simple card to send the data. I'd have thought that it would have given via WiFi but this isn't a reason not to get one. Most people in the UK have a phone signal unless you live in the middle of know where.

The display units linked to smart meters are crude and difficult to understand

No they are.not, well not the ones I have had, tells you what you have spend in kWh, pounds and lense and tells you your co2 usage, which no one really cares about I think the telegraph are scraping the barrel with this article. 

There's little evidence so far that smart meters will save energy - or money

It definitely.makes you aware of.how.much stuff costs. When you put the oven on the meter hikes up the current cost so you know what appliances will cost you more.money. you can make choices knowing this, I know people should know ovens and microwaves, driers and central heating will cost more than a TV or phone charger buti think this article.was aimed at the.spastics of society who don't know this. 

Smart meters 'pose security and other risks'

everything which is connected online poses a security risk. I knew this one but what are the chances that someone would have.into your smart.meter? What are they going to get out of it, they can't make money from this so I don't think people would hack into it, maybe just to prove they can hack into it but that's it. Or maybe they would do it if the household upset them so they hike up their usage somehow lol. 

Erm rant over @The Realist, fucking leave the smart.meters alone, they're good. You may as well get one as everyone is paying for them through their bills.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be just sending in my meter readings every 3 months as usual.

If you have an internet ready TV then big brother already knows everything you watch. Providing it is hooked up of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're with British Gas....I got a phone call last week from their 'smart meter department'. Guy says he wanted to know the best date/time to book me in to have a smart meter installed. The utility companies try to make it sound as if it is compulsory. IT IS NOT!!!!!!!! On your bike mate I says to the chap....I don't need one, I don't want one. There have also been NUMEROUS reports that if you change utility company then the smart meter you have will have to be replaced. And also remember....they are NOT free. The cost is added on to utility bills!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin
4 hours ago, Locke said:

I will be just sending in my meter readings every 3 months as usual.

If you have an internet ready TV then big brother already knows everything you watch. Providing it is hooked up of course. 

Who cares if they know what you watch. Surely that determines if s program is good or not and whether they should make more or not. I don't give a fuck what free sat know about me. I allow them to know exactly what I'm watching they know if I watch stuff I've recorded too. 

 

1 hour ago, Harold said:

We're with British Gas....I got a phone call last week from their 'smart meter department'. Guy says he wanted to know the best date/time to book me in to have a smart meter installed. The utility companies try to make it sound as if it is compulsory. IT IS NOT!!!!!!!! On your bike mate I says to the chap....I don't need one, I don't want one. There have also been NUMEROUS reports that if you change utility company then the smart meter you have will have to be replaced. And also remember....they are NOT free. The cost is added on to utility bills!

When you change supplier, the smart meter won't be smart so the hub that comes with it won't work so it just becomes a normal standard smart meter. 

Your have though they would have though about this and got standard type of meter which would work no matter what supplier you are with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

Who cares if they know what you watch. Surely that determines if s program is good or not and whether they should make more or not. I don't give a fuck what free sat know about me. I allow them to know exactly what I'm watching they know if I watch stuff I've recorded too. 

 

info obtained is gathered and used in various methods, sold on (like charities do).....it is a branch of big brother mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

But how does that effect you or me, it's doesn't. Are you one of these people who don't like using contactless and only pay with cash so your bank doesn't know what you spend you .obey on. FFS there's bigger stuff to worry about in the world than companies selling stats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

But how does that effect you or me, it's doesn't. Are you one of these people who don't like using contactless and only pay with cash so your bank doesn't know what you spend you .obey on. FFS there's bigger stuff to worry about in the world than companies selling stats. 

no, I don't use contactless cards, indeed I don't use  a card for any purchases -  always cash. It isn't to hide anything from the bank but it's my cash & I spend it how I want. Never had a credit card apart from a couple of years ago when we bought a new car & were given £500 of free fuel which had to be bought by a supplied credit card which was cancelled when the money was done. Of course selling stats affects us all. You may believe there's nothing untowards but do the companies have your permission, do you know to whom they are being supplied and what for ? The more information companies gather on individuals the more they know about said individuals. Absolutely nothing is done for the benefit of the consumer, everything is collated on everybody to build a picture for the benefit of businesses. Christ, even government agencies are selling your information....the DVLA will, for a fee, supply the details of vehicle reg keepers to parking firms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boro_boy said:

But how does that effect you or me, it's doesn't. Are you one of these people who don't like using contactless and only pay with cash so your bank doesn't know what you spend you .obey on. FFS there's bigger stuff to worry about in the world than companies selling stats. 

When i'm sitting eating my Chinese and some phucker from India who always seems to be called George, calls and asks me if i want a new kitchen, I don't really like that. Havent got my data from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×