Locke

Struggling Automobile Industry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42571828

Looks like the demand for diesel vehicles is dying. I currently drive a diesel and cannot fault it but with further government taxes and restrictions to surely come I will be looking to change for a smaller petrol engine at some stage this year.

I guess manufacturers of smaller,  petrol engine vehicles are loving this though.

I'm keeping my diesel car until it does. It's  just over 3 years old with 95000 miles on it. I might get a new one if I stay in my current job as they should extend m contract.by 10 years.

Will you get a new diesel though?

Some of the newer small engine petrol cars aided by a turbo have better economy than a diesel.

I guess it remains to be seen how they cope with 250 thousand miles shoved up them though?

When purchasing a car I always look at Fuel economy so if a petrol is better then I'll buy a petrol. Petrol has to be the way ahead due to all the restriction that will be in place for diesel cars in the years to come. The thing is, the technology is out to capture the pollutants from diesel cars.

Petrol engines struggle in SUV market.

I really like look of Hyundai Santa Fe but it is a 2.2 diesel.

Just worried about government taxes in future.

Long term it looks like big diesel engines are going to be taxed to death.

Personally, I will pay the tax if it means better performance and longevity.

My Ford diesel has 89,000 on it.

Hasn't missed a beat.

Just want an SUV.

9 hours ago, Locke said:

I guess manufacturers of smaller,  petrol engine vehicles are loving this though.

Those manufacturers also make Diesel cars with big engine's, Can't see it impacting them much at all. Can't see it affecting the fleet market much either, as the economy of Diesel engine's will still cover the extra levy due to the high mileage. It's the average working man who buy's a diesel car that is gonna be out of pocket most of all. Makes ne sense buying diesel anyhow unless you do high mileage.

Meanwhile over in the world of electric vehicles people are starting to realise that when the whole cycle is considered these vehicles are not that clean really - something I have been saying at work  for a while. They also require masses of commodities to be mined that are either rare or in unstable nations.

https://www.ft.com/content/a22ff86e-ba37-11e7-9bfb-4a9c83ffa852

For those that cannot read this, the article makes the point that far more CO2 is emitted in the production of 1 Tesla than almost 3 Mitsubishi Mirage (petrol vehicles). Over the whole life from manufacture to scrapping the Tesla emits an average of 226 g/km of CO2 against 192 for the Mirage.

The green/driverless revolution will undoubtedly happen but it is going to take some time yet and it might be that the current favourite does not end up being the best in the future.

1 hour ago, The Realist said:

Those manufacturers also make Diesel cars with big engine's, Can't see it impacting them much at all. Can't see it affecting the fleet market much either, as the economy of Diesel engine's will still cover the extra levy due to the high mileage. It's the average working man who buy's a diesel car that is gonna be out of pocket most of all. Makes ne sense buying diesel anyhow unless you do high mileage.

What if you want a petrol engine SUV though?

46 minutes ago, Locke said:

What if you want a petrol engine SUV though?

Every big 4x4 offers a petrol alternative form the manufacturers. This being my favourite.

2 hours ago, Locke said:

My Ford diesel has 89,000 on it.

Hasn't missed a beat.

Just want an SUV.

I've just had my 100,000 miles service slightly earlier as I wanted to get it out of the way, but only cost me £480 for the major service and two front brake pads changed,. My local garage is ace!!! Some old bloke who my family have used for ages, he doesn't even have a website or advertise but he's always busy., I remember one time I had a noise coming from my front passenger side wheel so took it to Kwik fit and they said I needed new brakes and would cost me over £250. I then took it to Nigel at Auto Enterprises in Middlesbrough and he said all it needed was the bearing knocked out and replaced, he done that and it cost me £30. I love true honest garages.

Just now, The Realist said:

Looking on Autotrader a few days ago I saw a BMW, only 4 years old with 330K on the clock, serious mileage that.

Indeed it is.

Would you buy it?

I have seen Toyota Avensis on there with 400k up em.

Obviously a taxi, but not much buyer appeal.

38 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I've just had my 100,000 miles service slightly earlier as I wanted to get it out of the way, but only cost me £480 for the major service and two front brake pads changed,. My local garage is ace!!! Some old bloke who my family have used for ages, he doesn't even have a website or advertise but he's always busy., I remember one time I had a noise coming from my front passenger side wheel so took it to Kwik fit and they said I needed new brakes and would cost me over £250. I then took it to Nigel at Auto Enterprises in Middlesbrough and he said all it needed was the bearing knocked out and replaced, he done that and it cost me £30. I love true honest garages.

So, you paid £480 for two new front break pads?

Shocking!

Hmmm that is decent then.

I recently paid £230 for my Mondeo timing belt change and auxillary belt.

That was from half a pal though.

9 minutes ago, Locke said:

So, you paid £480 for two new front break pads?

Shocking!

You should learn to read and absorb the full contents of a post fella, could save you a lot of ridicule. I read that post as a major 100k mile service including brake pads  as costing £480. Timing belt would be a standard part of the service surely. Bargain in my eyes.

Some smaller engined turbocharged diesel vehicles are actually less to tax than their petroleum counterparts.

The Kia Sportage has good reviews with its Eco drive turbo charged 1.7 diesel engine. 

The spec on them is well decent too. I would suck up the extra tax if a good diesel came along at the right price.