New Points System, Member Shop and Betting Apps Read more... ×
The Realist

'Latte levy' of 25p urged by MPs in bid to cut cup waste

The UK throws away 2.5 billion non-recyclable coffee cups every year, MPs say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42564948

I am down with these kind of levy’s, the plastic bag and now coffee cup tax but my issue is how do they ensure that any money raised from them is used to address the issue in hand and not just lumped into a big old pot?

1 hour ago, The Realist said:

The UK throws away 2.5 billion non-recyclable coffee cups every year, MPs say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42564948

I am down with these kind of levy’s, the plastic bag and now coffee cup tax but my issue is how do they ensure that any money raised from them is used to address the issue in hand and not just lumped into a big old pot?

I don't think the 25p levvy will stop anyone from buying a coffee or tea. They need to get the companies to used different types of cups, even plastic ones which can be recycled. The 5p on the carrier bags has made me fill my downstairs cupboard up with bags for life but I keep forgetting to bring them to the shops so I keep on having to buy more!!!

20 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I don't think the 25p levvy will stop anyone from buying a coffee or tea. They need to get the companies to used different types of cups, even plastic ones which can be recycled. The 5p on the carrier bags has made me fill my downstairs cupboard up with bags for life but I keep forgetting to bring them to the shops so I keep on having to buy more!!!

I used to use all my free carrier bags as bin liners for our  bins. Now they are not free I just buy regular bin liners instead so I'm a little bit out of pocket but there are still plastic bags going into landfill.How many other household's do the same?  It's not really addressing the problem! 

They should mandate that manufacturers of plastic bags have to make them biodegradable so they will rot down quickly and harmlessly when they end up in landfill. There are decent companies like Symphony Environmental Technologies that can do this and have been for years.

We should be using strong paper bags or even cardboard boxes rather than plastic bags.

These levvys don't do anything,. 

12 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

We should be using strong paper bags or even cardboard boxes rather than plastic bags.

Well normally the levy itself addresses the problem - I seem to remember reading the supermarket carrier bag use is down by abt 85% since the 5p charge came in - if they bring in a similar levy on disposable cups then I would anticipate that people will start taking the Thermos style 'Tommee Tippee' mugs to be filled up.

Though given the levels of pretentiousness displayed in coffee shops some sort of reverse snobby might apply and people start paying the levy just so they can flaunt their unnecessarily expensive coffee displaying it in its disposable cup.

19 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

The Americans have been using paper bags forever.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

The Americans have been using paper bags forever.

Yeah on street corners, the paper bags containing and disguising cheap bottles of vile alcohol,  you should visit USA more often fella, It is the dustbin of the world.