boro_boy

H&M - Coolest Monkey Hoodie

Simple as this, in my opinion, the word monkey has been used as a racist term towards blacks for the majority of the last century. Whether it's clear it's not a racist remark or not it's hugely irresponsible of a brand to be so stupid whilst marketing itself. 

Surely they have meetings to discuss whether something could be offensive or acceptable. How on earth could something that could offend people be let slip through the net, if you don't think it's racist then fair enough as it's not supposed to be, but the reality is even if it's offending the smallest minority it shouldn't have gone to publish. 

15 hours ago, Locke said:

Er H&M. C'mon Harold get with it.

How is it racist ? The top is available to all. The lad in question wasn't forced to wear it. It was an idiotic action, imo, for H&M to undertake. If it hadn't been a black person wearing the top would you still have said H&M was racist ?

11 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Simple as this, in my opinion, the word monkey has been used as a racist term towards blacks for the majority of the last century. Whether it's clear it's not a racist remark or not it's hugely irresponsible of a brand to be so stupid whilst marketing itself. 

Surely they have meetings to discuss whether something could be offensive or acceptable. How on earth could something that could offend people be let slip through the net, if you don't think it's racist then fair enough as it's not supposed to be, but the reality is even if it's offending the smallest minority it shouldn't have gone to publish. 

Totally agree it was irresponsible for the company to use that lad to advertise the top but as I said to Negan the top is available to all & if it hadn't been shown with a black lad wearing it would you still say the top was racist ? Not only was it irresponsible for the company to go ahead with the photoshoot it was also VERY irresponsible for the parent/s of the lad to allow him to be in that position (I'm presuming the parent/s of him are black). The company is being branded racist simply due to the fact that it a black lad wearing it. Stupid-Yes, Racist?-No.