Jump to content

VAR  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I have mixed feelings on VAR so far.

I am pleased that several incorrect decisions have been overturned as it is essential that outcomes of games are not determined by a bum call.

However, it is the time it takes and the failure to let the fans know in the stadium what is going on.

The Americans have got it nailed down to a fine art in the NFL (albeit with a totally different game) where in they immediately let the in house fans know what is going on and they distract the television audience by putting a commercial or something on while it is sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely is to late to take any action in the first half of its already half time. This needs to stop now, what next, calling players back 2 hours after full time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boro_boy said:

Surely is to late to take any action in the first half of its already half time. This needs to stop now, what next, calling players back 2 hours after full time. 

How would you feel though if your team was relegated by a bad call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old fashioned me....ref's call and that's it. Having said that I do think goal line technology is required but I'm not sure what competitions it is used in. This pissing about at the side of the pitch looking at screens, liaising with someone in the stands, fans not knowing what's going on etc doesn't lie comfortably with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Locke said:

How would you feel though if your team was relegated by a bad call?

Get on with life. It's only a game haha. 

But if the ref can do this. Say a goal is disallowed and vat wasn't used there and then. Does that mean in a week's time the goal could be allowed. 

Only incidents during live play should be considered for var. And only incidents in the first half can be sorted during the first half and not in the second half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched this several times now and actually feel the referee got this one right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That decision in Germany was a farce, it's ruining the game completely. 

I personally hate VAR, Iove the debate in the pub after the game. If a decision goes against you, it might go for you the following week. It's what makes the game interesting, they are draining any fun from football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Locke said:

I have watched this several times now and actually feel the referee got this one right.

Are you a moron?

How did that player knowingly handball that football?

It was smashed into his arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

That decision in Germany was a farce, it's ruining the game completely. 

I personally hate VAR, Iove the debate in the pub after the game. If a decision goes against you, it might go for you the following week. It's what makes the game interesting, they are draining any fun from football. 

True, I was all for VAR but its making a mockery of the game. Just go back to the REFs decision final!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

True, I was all for VAR but its making a mockery of the game. Just go back to the REFs decision final!

I get what you are saying, but what if the ref gets it wrong?

Surely the right and correct outcome should come above all else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, boro_boy said:

True, I was all for VAR but its making a mockery of the game. Just go back to the REFs decision final!

Do you not think that Goal line technology (which can be instant) is a good thing though. As I said before THAT is the only piece of technology I personally would be comfortable with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goal line technology is a must.

If the technology is there then use it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Locke said:

I get what you are saying, but what if the ref gets it wrong?

Surely the right and correct outcome should come above all else?

But how far is it to be taken. What if there is a suggested foul in the build up to a goal....what if there is a questionable shy given.....all sorts of incidents could be brought up but it would make the game, imo, a complete farce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is important only to be looking into what is in question.

For example if it is a possible hand ball then only look at that, not whether there was a shirt tug or an offside in the build up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Locke said:

I think it is important only to be looking into what is in question.

For example if it is a possible hand ball then only look at that, not whether there was a shirt tug or an offside in the build up.

 

But why is one incident more important than the other.....the two you want to ignore are both offences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Harold said:

But why is one incident more important than the other.....the two you want to ignore are both offences.

I get what you are saying, but like you say we could be here all day.

I think as long as it is only used for what the ref thinks he saw but is unsure about. If he missed the offside or the shirt tug then they should stay "missed"

Players don't help by acting like fannies and trying to influence the decision to use VAR. That doesn't happen in other sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Locke said:

I get what you are saying, but like you say we could be here all day.

I think as long as it is only used for what the ref thinks he saw but is unsure about. If he missed the offside or the shirt tug then they should stay "missed"

Players don't help by acting like fannies and trying to influence the decision to use VAR. That doesn't happen in other sports.

Not quite as clear cut as that mate.....

VARs and other match officials are able to recommend reviews, but the only person who can initiate one is the referee, who will then have the final say on whether their original decision should stand or be changed.

Here's a link explaining the system

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/var-explained-how-the-video-assistant-referee-system-works-a3778481.html

but everybody will have their opinion on whether it is a good thing or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a good thing if being useful correctly.

I still think the ref got it right in the link that started the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2018 at 12:13, Locke said:

It is a good thing if being useful correctly.

I still think the ref got it right in the link that started the thread.

But surely you can't go out at half time as the 1st half has ended. That just opens up a can of worms. Next thing there will be teams of lawyers watching the first half during the HT interval looking for ways to get a goal or player sent off so they will have an advantage for the 2nd half. Then maybe at full time, the same set of lawyers looking at the 2nd half to get players a red card of goal allowed/disallowed.

Basically as soon as the HT whistle sounds, nothing in the game can be changed and same goes for the FT whistle. 

I'm still up for players getting red cards overturned though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.