Massive row, and some ass kicking today at work!

superally

With the sensitive situation going on at JLR, just now, and me having to brief out the situation to several hundred staff at start of shift yesterday, it's not very nice. Before the brief i got all my manager's together to give them a quick outline of what is going on.

Long post but bear with me, and give your opinion. NO HOLDS BARRED.

I found the situation really difficult, as there are many people affected, people who have mortgages, families, cars on HP to pay for, rent to pay, holidays Xmas etc etc. What i found today, and to be honest i having knowing the situation for a while, have been monitoring people.

I told them what i expect of them going forward in the way of being supportive etc. Must say i am disgusted at the attitude of some of them, knowing they are not gonna be affected. Well i changed that attitude today, after hearing them talking of working Sunday and picking up £500 for it blah blah blah. Had them in the office again, cancelled all their Sunday work, then wiped the smile off their faces even more, by telling them (uttering a few swear words along the way), what a disappointment they are in the situation. My brief to them was to be supportive, write down any question they are asked and by whom, then come to us higher management for an answer, and get back to that person without fail. I know it was only 1 or 2 of them, but given the situation i find it highly unacceptable. I held 3 back afterwards, and shown them some CCTV, of them of the shop floor, then i really feckin ripped into them. 2 of the 3 have resigned.

Am i in the wrong here, for asking respect and support to be shown to people who are maybe gonna lose their jobs?

Am i wrong in demanding all our affected MHE handlers, get a quick refresher course to ultimately vastly improve their future employment opportunities. - Or

Am i wrong in politically incorrectly ripping the shit out of a few cocky arseholes showing no respect to people whose lives may have been turned upside down?

I can't be right on everything here.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Are the people whose live have been turned upside down the 1000 Polish and Romanian temporary workers who you said had been laid off earlier in the week? 

Did i say that really?? Quote where i said that.

There will be a selection criteria based on disciplinary records, attendance, punctuality, time served, and safety conversations. Also seeing as there is a disproportionate amount of Polish and Romanian agency workers, logically they will be affected more.  The decision on who stays and goes, is down to the agencies not JLR, as they work for those agencies not JLR.

I'm just glad, i am not the one making those decisions and having to tell those affected.

On 13/04/2018 at 19:25, The Realist said:

Lots to do with work. We are shedding around 1000 jobs at Solihull plant. All agency staff, so mostly Polish and Romanians. I will find a link and post it.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jaguar-land-rover-live-updates-14527651#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Edited by Locke

I doubt any of the agency workers laid of will find work as well paid as JLR.

Definitely life changing for them.

I have several friends who work at JLR and they have deep concerns about the long term future of the plants in this country. 

7 minutes ago, Locke said:

So i did not say then that 1000 Romanian and Polish workers had been laid off this week then??

Not sure why they would be concerned, JLR have invested over £4 billion in our plant's over the last few years making them ready for whatever the future holds.

11 minutes ago, The Realist said:

So i did not say then that 1000 Romanian and Polish workers had been laid off this week then??

Not sure why they would be concerned, JLR have invested over £4 billion in our plant's over the last few years making them ready for whatever the future holds.

Pretty much you did. 

That is all I have to say on it.

I guess people can read, but really it isn't that important. 

It doesn't really matter if they from Mars and have green spots. A job loss is a loss. 

JLR main problem is that they only make very expensive products. People are cautious with money. The government also have their hooks into diesel products. There seems to be a lack of plan B.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Pretty much you did. 

That is all I have to say on it.

I guess people can read, but really it isn't that important. 

It doesn't really matter if they from Mars and have green spots. A job loss is a loss. 

JLR main problem is that they only make very expensive products. People are cautious with money. The government also have their hooks into diesel products. There seems to be a lack of plan B.

No there is a huge difference in what I said, to what you are claiming I said. Your post is very negan like in the sense of it being a huge twisting of words. Usually you have an agenda behind it.

5 minutes ago, The Realist said:

No there is a huge difference in what I said, to what you are claiming I said. Your post is very negan like in the sense of it being a huge twisting of words. Usually you have an agenda behind it.

I don't think there is it is a matter of opinion.

You have yours and I have mine.

5 hours ago, Locke said:

Are the people whose live have been turned upside down the 1000 Polish and Romanian temporary workers who you said had been laid off earlier in the week? 

What SA actually said....

'Lots to do with work. We are shedding around 1000 jobs at Solihull plant. All agency staff, so mostly Polish and Romanians (who happen to be agency staff so it will be these jobs which are shed.....my words in red). I will find a link and post it.'

Nothing with an ulterior motive  in that statement Locke.

14 hours ago, The Realist said:

With the sensitive situation going on at JLR, just now, and me having to brief out the situation to several hundred staff at start of shift yesterday, it's not very nice. Before the brief i got all my manager's together to give them a quick outline of what is going on.

Long post but bear with me, and give your opinion. NO HOLDS BARRED.

I found the situation really difficult, as there are many people affected, people who have mortgages, families, cars on HP to pay for, rent to pay, holidays Xmas etc etc. What i found today, and to be honest i having knowing the situation for a while, have been monitoring people.

I told them what i expect of them going forward in the way of being supportive etc. Must say i am disgusted at the attitude of some of them, knowing they are not gonna be affected. Well i changed that attitude today, after hearing them talking of working Sunday and picking up £500 for it blah blah blah. Had them in the office again, cancelled all their Sunday work, then wiped the smile off their faces even more, by telling them (uttering a few swear words along the way), what a disappointment they are in the situation. My brief to them was to be supportive, write down any question they are asked and by whom, then come to us higher management for an answer, and get back to that person without fail. I know it was only 1 or 2 of them, but given the situation i find it highly unacceptable. I held 3 back afterwards, and shown them some CCTV, of them of the shop floor, then i really feckin ripped into them. 2 of the 3 have resigned.

Am i in the wrong here, for asking respect and support to be shown to people who are maybe gonna lose their jobs?

Am i wrong in demanding all our affected MHE handlers, get a quick refresher course to ultimately vastly improve their future employment opportunities. - Or

Am i wrong in politically incorrectly ripping the shit out of a few cocky arseholes showing no respect to people whose lives may have been turned upside down?

I can't be right on everything here.

To be honest I can't find fault in the action/s you took. It's not about 'being right'....it's about taking the correct course of action for the benefit of the unfortunate people who will be affected one way or another. I liked the 'politically incorrectly ripping the shit out of the cocky arseholes' part.

18 minutes ago, Harold said:

What SA actually said....

'Lots to do with work. We are shedding around 1000 jobs at Solihull plant. All agency staff, so mostly Polish and Romanians (who happen to be agency staff so it will be these jobs which are shed.....my words in red). I will find a link and post it.'

Nothing with an ulterior motive  in that statement Locke.

I never said there was!