• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Nissan to shed hundreds of UK jobs.

Mr Magnificent

The uncertainty for the motor sector is spreading. 

Again, the company blame a drop in demand for diesel vehicles.

….........….................….

Nissan is to cut hundreds of jobs at its Sunderland car plant, as diesel sales decline.

The carmaker builds its Qashqai and Juke models at the north-eastern England site, where it employs 7,000 people.

As well as a fall in the demand for its diesel cars, the job losses relate to a switch in production to newer models.

The job cuts follow those at Jaguar Land Rover, which last week said it would shed 1,000 contract staff.

A Nissan spokesman said: "As previously communicated, we are transitioning to a new range of powertrains over the next year.

"As we make the operational changes required to support this, we will be managing a planned short-term reduction in powertrain supply and plant volumes at NMUK in line with our 2018 Business Plan. We are now discussing these operational changes with our employees."

Employees will be offered a financial package and the chance to be retrained if they choose to leave.

Across the UK demand for diesel vehicles fell by a third in the first three months of this year.

Nissan said it expected production volumes to recover as it begins to make the new models.

In 2016, following the vote to leave the European Union, Nissan confirmed it would build new models at its Sunderland plant, the largest vehicle production site in the UK.

Unite's acting national officer Steve Bush said the union was working with Nissan "to minimise job losses associated with a short-term reduction in volumes at the carmaker's Sunderland plant".

"Going forward we expect to see temporary workers at the plant move into permanent positions as volumes pick up again in future years," he said

Source:www.bbc.co.uk

6 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

This is the government's fault. 

You can fit devices to diesel engines to make then clean but they want to go the green way to make more money from clean energy. 

I think it is fair to say that the government gave the automobile companies plenty of notice that diesel was on their hit list.

It isn't the governments fault that they didn't prepare for it.

The motor industry in this country is in tatters.

A vehicle is a very expensive purchase and people don't want to part with their hard earned cash on a diesel that will be worth less than nothing in a few years.

Brexit won't help either, but i don't think it is entirely responsible for the sales slump. 

Very worrying times. 

Edited by Locke

14 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Strange thing is modern diesel's are on a par, and often better than petrol engine's for emission's. That in itself suggest's the car industry has acted in the correct way.

Better as in what way? They are different fuels and totally different emissions mate.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Better as in what way? They are different fuels and totally different emissions mate.

How about you tell me?? You are after all the one with a knowledge of everything, who posts opinions in every thread on here. And how many times have i asked you not to call me mate. I find it seriously offensive that you persist in doing so. I am not your mate, never have been, never will be.

7 hours ago, The Realist said:

How about you tell me?? You are after all the one with a knowledge of everything, who posts opinions in every thread on here. And how many times have i asked you not to call me mate. I find it seriously offensive that you persist in doing so. I am not your mate, never have been, never will be.

I will assume then as you flipped it round that you have no explanation for your quote saying modern diesel engines are "better" than petrol engines for emissions. Remember you said it, not me.

I will stand by my statement that they are different fuels burned differently and providing different emissions.

Ok I won't call you mate any more. I was just trying to be friendly. No problem though I understand and will honour your request.