New Points System, Member Shop and Betting Apps Read more... ×
Locke

Locke is off to Scotland

Ok me and the Mrs are driving to the Highlands.

1000 miles in 6 days and Moir is in the shit seat.

Sept 13 we leave for Stirling followed by a day at each of Fort William, Inverness, Edinburgh, Newcastle upon Tyne (through Berwick upon Tweed) then home to Brumistan.

Hotels all the way on this, no camping or scooters.

Cannot wait!

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Sept 13 we leave for Stirling followed by a day at each of Fort William, Inverness, Edinburgh, Newcastle upon Tyne (through Berwick upon Tweed) then home to Brumistan.

Cannot wait!

If your going straight from Stirling to Fort William, you are missing out on so much inbetween. That's also gonna be pretty uncomfortable in a Mokka.

6 hours ago, The Realist said:

If your going straight from Stirling to Fort William, you are missing out on so much inbetween. That's also gonna be pretty uncomfortable in a Mokka.

Not really. We have done the Loch Lomond, Loch Katrine part a few years back.

As for the Mokka it is all leather spec on the SE model so, it should be ok. The four wheel drive is an added bonus. However, if it does get uncomfortable at all I will stop and stretch my legs s bit.

11 hours ago, Locke said:

Cannot wait!

Hope you have a great time.....loads of great scenery if that's your thing. Just for info....when you get to Crianlarich you'll take the A82 for Fort William. On this road there is a small place called Tyndrum where there is a decent place for a stop off for grub or a coffee etc....you can't miss it as it's on the main road.

9 hours ago, The Realist said:

I've driven up north and south in various models of Vauxhalls and Fords and never felt uncomfortable. No problems with the Mokka we have at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Harold said:

Hope you have a great time.....loads of great scenery if that's your thing. Just for info....when you get to Crianlarich you'll take the A82 for Fort William. On this road there is a small place called Tyndrum where there is a decent place for a stop off for grub or a coffee etc....you can't miss it as it's on the main road.

Thanks for that Harold. I will do that as I imagine I will be needing a break after driving my Mokka. :laughing:

22 minutes ago, Harold said:

I've driven up north and south in various models of Vauxhalls and Fords and never felt uncomfortable. No problems with the Mokka we have at the moment.

I agree mate.

The Mokka is a very comfortable model and nice to drive.

I think the Realist is used to more refinement and luxury cars judging by previous posts he had made. Whatever floats ones boat I guess.

They all have the end result in going from A to B.

3 hours ago, Locke said:

Not really. We have done the Loch Lomond, Loch Katrine part a few years back.

Would need several trips anyway, as there are just many many great places up there. Still a lot of places i want to go, and several i want to go back to.

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Would need several trips anyway, as there are just many many great places up there. Still a lot of places i want to go, and several i want to go back to.

If Callander is on your list cross it off. Not a lot in it now apart from charity shops.

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I think the trip that we have planned is adequate for what we both want to see. 

We had plenty of discussion beforehand so it should be good.

51 minutes ago, Harold said:

If Callander is on your list cross it off. Not a lot in it now apart from charity shops.

Been there a few times, used to be lovely. Driving alongside Loch Lubnaig, on the way to Loch Earn. Falls of Lennie etc, We would go to Killin, and fish Loch Tay, Pitlochry, the dam and Salmon ladder, queens View/ Loch Tummel. I still remember these places all these years later. would love to re-visit them.

Do you have any other recommendations on where to visit whilst I am Scotland Harold? 

59 minutes ago, Locke said:

Do you have any other recommendations on where to visit whilst I am Scotland Harold? 

I'm not Harold but Ibrox Park (or stadium as it is known nowadays is a beautiful place). Just a thought, why not have a look at booking a Stadium tour to fit in with your travel plans? Also Glencoe is an area of such natural beauty it will almost take your breath away.The Falkirk wheel is also pretty good. As for the Fairy pools/Lochs, different level altogether. If memory serves me right there is the remains of  an old WW2? bomber there.

Glencoe is on the itinerary as is Oban.

I would like to see the Falkirk wheel.

Thanks mate.

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Glencoe is on the itinerary as is Oban.

I would like to see the Falkirk wheel.

Thanks mate.

Me thinks touring Scotland to see the best of it, requires several trips, spent so much time up there. After living threr in the 70's moving back to Brum, bouncing around a a bit i still feel like i wanna go back again. Tho there is a big void since my dad died, also my football banning order in Scotland. It's a strange one for me, I miss a lot of thing's in Scotland, and am craving a reason to go back, yet being banned from Ibrox, and my dad not being there anymore kind of tears me apart a bit. I would love to do what you are gonna do, tho i have done it in the past, it doesnt take away the craving to do it again. Tho doing it without my Dad seem's unimaginable. Salmon fishing on the river Tay. Im getting emotional here.

I hope you have a great time i really do. Take any opportunity you can, not to drive, cos when your  eyes are on the road you will be missing the beauty around you.(hence why i hate driving).

12 hours ago, Locke said:

As you make your way from Fort William to Inverness (A82) you will pass Loch Ness...there is an historic old building there which is very popular...'Urquhart Castle'. I've been there once and at that time you could climb the stairs to the top of the building where you got great views over the loch (I think the miserable bastards actually charge an entrance fee nowadays). You never know, you might even see the Loch Ness monster.....:flashing-lol:

Eat as much sausage as you can when up there. Scotland is the only country in the world that knows how to make proper sausage, Flat and square, and containing meat.

53 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Eat as much sausage as you can when up there. Scotland is the only country in the world that knows how to make proper sausage, Flat and square, and containing meat.

I will, but Lashford's sausage in Brum is excellent too.