Temperatures at the World Cup affecting the result?

Guest football_enthusiast247

At work this morning and I came across an article discussing the idea that temperatures and the heat in general could actually play a part in World Cup proceedings. Does anyone really buy that?

Surely in the modern day, most players are fairly well-travelled and are used to playing in a variety of conditions? 

They use the England v Colombia game as an example. Made me think a little. Brought it up in the office and to be honest, opinions were fairly mixed on the subject.

Article I was referring to is here: https://www.andrews-sykes.com/blog/world-cup-temperatures-in-russia

At first glance, they author seems to have little to do with football so I guess their opinion is impartial if nothing else. Anyone got any thoughts?

It is bollocks.

Spain, Argentina, Senegal, Nigeria, Peru, Morocco, Tunisia, Iran, Australia are all countries that have hot weather.

Germany also to an extent.

They failed cos they were shite! Simple as that really.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Edited by Locke

I think there are several factors in how teams performed. Yeah, the temperature.....but as the author said, depending on game location and time of kick off will have a say regards temperature however you also have, as Locke said, teams from countries that actually have a high temperature but then again....how many of the players for these teams actually play their football in said countries ? I haven't done any research into this but for example take Australia....how many of their players actually play in the A-league. So in that case the individual country's high temperature has really nothing to do with it. Just googled Australian squad....interesting....

Australia

Goalkeepers: Brad Jones (Feyenoord), Mat Ryan (Brighton), Danny Vukovic (Genk).

Defenders: Aziz Behich (Bursaspor), Milos Degenek (Yokohama F. Marinos), Matthew Jurman (Suwon Samsung Blue Wings), James Meredith (Millwall), Josh Risdon (Western Sydney), Trent Sainsbury (Grasshopper Zurich).

Midfielders: Jackson Irvine (Hull City), Mile Jedinak (Aston Villa), Robbie Kruse (VfL Bochum), Massimo Luongo (QPR), Mark Milligan (Al-Ahli), Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield), Tom Rogic (Celtic), Tim Cahill (Millwall).

Forwards: Daniel Arzani (Melbourne City), Tomi Juric (Luzern), Mathew Leckie (Hertha Berlin), Andrew Nabbout (Urawa Red Diamonds), Dimitri Petratos (Newcastle Jets), Jamie Maclaren (Hibernian).

But of course.....skill and ability imo are the most important factors. I think the middle Eastern countries would probably have the most players who play in that country....anyway, here's a link so you can make up your own mind.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6286856/world-cup-2018-squads-all-teams-england-belgium-sweden-brazil-final/

Having said all that.....they can start to moan after they've spent a couple of hours cutting my grass & trimming my hedge in this heat!!!

32 minutes ago, Harold said:

I think there are several factors in how teams performed. Yeah, the temperature.....but as the author said, depending on game location and time of kick off will have a say regards temperature however you also have, as Locke said, teams from countries that actually have a high temperature but then again....how many of the players for these teams actually play their football in said countries ? I haven't done any research into this but for example take Australia....how many of their players actually play in the A-league. So in that case the individual country's high temperature has really nothing to do with it. Just googled Australian squad....interesting....

Australia

Goalkeepers: Brad Jones (Feyenoord), Mat Ryan (Brighton), Danny Vukovic (Genk).

Defenders: Aziz Behich (Bursaspor), Milos Degenek (Yokohama F. Marinos), Matthew Jurman (Suwon Samsung Blue Wings), James Meredith (Millwall), Josh Risdon (Western Sydney), Trent Sainsbury (Grasshopper Zurich).

Midfielders: Jackson Irvine (Hull City), Mile Jedinak (Aston Villa), Robbie Kruse (VfL Bochum), Massimo Luongo (QPR), Mark Milligan (Al-Ahli), Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield), Tom Rogic (Celtic), Tim Cahill (Millwall).

Forwards: Daniel Arzani (Melbourne City), Tomi Juric (Luzern), Mathew Leckie (Hertha Berlin), Andrew Nabbout (Urawa Red Diamonds), Dimitri Petratos (Newcastle Jets), Jamie Maclaren (Hibernian).

But of course.....skill and ability imo are the most important factors. I think the middle Eastern countries would probably have the most players who play in that country....anyway, here's a link so you can make up your own mind.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6286856/world-cup-2018-squads-all-teams-england-belgium-sweden-brazil-final/

Having said all that.....they can start to moan after they've spent a couple of hours cutting my grass & trimming my hedge in this heat!!!

That's a good point - and not really something I had considered.

28 minutes ago, Locke said:

Agreed but they should still be used to the temperature of their own country.

Most would have crafted a career out there originally.

yes but you also have to consider the fact that when they move abroad they have to acclimatise to the elements of the country they play in and also how many have grown up in countries with lower temperatures but can be included in squads of other (hotter ? countries) due to some 'family link' ?

19 minutes ago, football_enthusiast247 said:

That's a good point - and not really something I had considered.

Meant to say....hope you stick around mate and keep posting. Also hope you are NOT thin skinned......:flashing-lol:

What can we call you as your user name is a tad long winded ?

Just now, Harold said:

Meant to say....hope you stick around mate and keep posting. Also hope you are NOT thin skinned......:flashing-lol:

Of course chief! I've had far worse on the likes of Twitter than I expect to receive on a bastion of amicability such as this forum.

41 minutes ago, Harold said:

yes but you also have to consider the fact that when they move abroad they have to acclimatise to the elements of the country they play in and also how many have grown up in countries with lower temperatures but can be included in squads of other (hotter ? countries) due to some 'family link' ?

I think it is fair to say that a player born in the middle east or Africa is naturally acclimated to heat? 

6 minutes ago, Locke said:

I think it is fair to say that a player born in the middle east or Africa is naturally acclimated to heat? 

I honestly don't know but I 'think' you have to take into consideration the length of time they have actually lived under such conditions. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong Locke....simply putting forward considerations and possibilities mate.

6 minutes ago, Harold said:

I honestly don't know but I 'think' you have to take into consideration the length of time they have actually lived under such conditions. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong Locke....simply putting forward considerations and possibilities mate.

Absolutely, I am not disagreeing with you.

Opinion is great! 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Locke said:

Nah your not materially climitised, once you leave a hot country and come to one like the UK, you become climitised to out great weather. I know it affects me a shit ton. You sweat loads, you need to drink more and you can get heat stroke if your not careful. 

40 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Nah your not materially climitised, once you leave a hot country and come to one like the UK, you become climitised to out great weather. I know it affects me a shit ton. You sweat loads, you need to drink more and you can get heat stroke if your not careful. 

Yeah but you sweat in the shower!

So not really a good guide. :cheesy-grin-smiley-emoticon:

2 minutes ago, MrMacleod said:

I get the sweats in 20 degrees weather in Scotland. 

I'm sure I'd manage 30 degrees weather in Russia chasing a ball for 90 minutes...... ??

personally I'd be fucked Mac.