Mr Magnificent

Brexit not going very good?

Brexit  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

“Democracy is the worst form of Government…”
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Democracy is a myth.

1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

Democracy is a myth.

Disagree Hairy. Democracy in its true form is the only way forward. However and unfortunately true democracy is being permitted to be eroded to suit the warped agendas of those who want to use it in their own perverted way.

EG....The result of both referendums we have seen recently was democratically arrived at. What those proposing further voting is their own bastardised version of democracy. It is false, it is a lie but these people will never admit that they are wrong!

1 hour ago, Harold said:

Disagree Hairy. Democracy in its true form is the only way forward. However and unfortunately true democracy is being permitted to be eroded to suit the warped agendas of those who want to use it in their own perverted way.

EG....The result of both referendums we have seen recently was democratically arrived at. What those proposing further voting is their own bastardised version of democracy. It is false, it is a lie but these people will never admit that they are wrong!

Sorry mate,

In my experience and that of many who have preceded me. democracy, as Churchill said, is the worst of a bad lot.

It does not work.

The ideal society is a benevolent dictatorship.

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

The ideal society is a benevolent dictatorship.

Just like the SNP and the EU would have us believe ? Give me true democracy every time. As I said it is the only way imo.

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

democracy, as Churchill said, is the worst of a bad lot.

Actually he didn't mate.....

Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947

He also said....

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of that point. —House of Commons, 31 October 1944

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Harold said:

Just like the SNP and the EU would have us believe ? Give me true democracy every time. As I said it is the only way imo.

Actually he didn't mate.....

Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947

He also said....

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of that point. —House of Commons, 31 October 1944

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944

Is that not what I said?

Edited by Hairy Scot
x

12 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Is that not what I said?

No....you said    'as Churchill said, is the worst of a bad lot.'.......excluding.....

except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

which tends to show that the other forms are actually worse does it not ? That is certainly my understanding of the statement.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Harold said:

No....you said    'as Churchill said, is the worst of a bad lot.'.......excluding.....

except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

which tends to show that the other forms are actually worse does it not ? That is certainly my understanding of the statement.

It has long been recognised that the best system is a benevolent dictatorship .

However achieving that in the modern epoch is to say somewhat problematic,

Edited by Hairy Scot

6 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

It has long been recognised that the best system is a benevolent dictatorship .

Recognised by whom ?

Not being funny but name me one ?

5 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Any examples of this Hairy?

Cos I like it......

I think, despite his failure, that Haile Selassie had the right idea.

24 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Haile Selassie

had never heard of him but I had a wee rake and found a couple of articles that wouldn't back that up although no doubt there may be alternative articles flying about....

https://www.news24.com/xArchive/Archive/Haile-Selassie-a-despot-and-tyrant-20001031

https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-a-ruler-was-Haile-Selassie-Does-history-depict-him-as-one-of-the-good-guys-or-as-one-of-the-bad-guys

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/africaatlse/2019/02/04/the-romantic-rewriting-of-haile-selassies-legacy-must-stop/

42 minutes ago, Harold said:

Recognised by whom ?

38 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Winston Churchill

Can you possibly show me something that would back that up re Churchill ? I can't find anything.

15 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Liberal Democracy. As Churchill famously said,

Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/quotes/the-worst-form-of-government/that have been tried from time to time.

Sorry, I don't get how this shows Churchill recognised that the best system was benevolent dictatorship ?

Not sure if this is actually at home in here or more than likely in Scottish Politics but I've put it here due to the previous post about jobs etc. I watched a bit of the Scottish Parliament business through last week. There is going to be (another) wind farm built off the east coast of Scotland (well you know how the SNP love to believe they are world leaders in renewables) in the near furture by EDF  (how fucking ironic eh ? Electricitie De France!!!!) and the Scottish Executive are under pressure to ensure that all construction work (a £2 billion project) goes to two Fife yards, Methil being one.  Hopefully they get the work but we'll wait and see how shoogly heid and her arselickers deal with THAT!!!!

6 hours ago, The Guv'nor said:

I think we should do what Trump says.

Just not pay a penny and go with no deal as soon as possible.

Basically, tell the EU to fuck right off!

I thought that was what Brexit meant!