Mr Magnificent

Brexit not going very good?

On 22/12/2018 at 15:32, Locke said:

Why do Northern Irish nationals need a passport to travel within their own country?

That would constitutionally be wrong on every level.

Because we are an Island and they are on a different Island!!!

8 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Makes no odds. They are British nationals 

So, should British nationals from other islands (that are British territory) have to show their passports too?

7 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Ulster is part of the UK so no passports required to travel within their own country.

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need apassport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. 

Note the wording on the passport.

190px-Ukpassport-cover.jpg

4 minutes ago, Locke said:

So, should British nationals from other islands (that are British territory) have to show their passports too?

Yes because they are travelling from outwith the UK.

As the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, and will have loads of non UK people there, you have to show passports when leaving Northern Island as you don't know if they are from Northern Ireland or Ireland!!! Simple really, unless we get a border there which is not going to happen.

12 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

As the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, and will have loads of non UK people there, you have to show passports when leaving Northern Island as you don't know if they are from Northern Ireland or Ireland!!! Simple really, unless we get a border there which is not going to happen.

I don't see why a British National from NI should have to show a passport to get into their own country.

Do you have to show a passport if you come back from the Scottish Islands? 

It is constitutionally wrong to request this.

What is they don't own a passport? It isn't a legal requirement.

18 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

As the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, and will have loads of non UK people there, you have to show passports when leaving Northern Island as you don't know if they are from Northern Ireland or Ireland!!!

Republic has not been part of the UK since 1922 and has had non UK nationals ever since. This isn't a new thing because of Brexit.

7 minutes ago, Locke said:

I don't see why a British National from NI should have to show a passport to get into their own country.

They don't. As long as they are travelling within the UK.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

They don't. As long as they are travelling within the UK.

NI is part of the UK.

BB is proposing they have to show passports to get to mainland.

16 minutes ago, Locke said:

BB is proposing they have to show passports to get to mainland.

It is just his opinion mate. No basis in fact and will not happen.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

It is just his opinion mate. No basis in fact and will not happen.

So how do they decide who does and who doesn't show a passport now when flights/boats land from NI? 

Surely the status quo will remain? 

35 minutes ago, Locke said:

So how do they decide who does and who doesn't show a passport now when flights/boats land from NI? 

I'm not au fait with details regards that but there must be something in place. 

3 hours ago, Locke said:

Do you have to show a passport if you come back from the Scottish Islands? 

It is constitutionally wrong to request this.

What is they don't own a passport? It isn't a legal requirement.

There on the border with the Republic which is in the EU, we won't be when we leave. 

Scotland islands are part of Scotland though, they don't have another different country attached to them. 

So you think its okay for someone to fly into the Republic of Ireland and then get a boat across to England and not get checked. They could do anything now and hide away in the UK. I don't know what checks are carried out  this is just me talking shit. 

5 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

There on the border with the Republic which is in the EU, we won't be when we leave. 

Scotland islands are part of Scotland though, they don't have another different country attached to them. 

So you think its okay for someone to fly into the Republic of Ireland and then get a boat across to England and not get checked. They could do anything now and hide away in the UK. I don't know what checks are carried out  this is just me talking shit. 

No I don't, but how do you differentiate between nationals and foreigners?

Surely as soon as the get to Eire they can just drive to the UK (NI) as the border is soft? 

No one or nothing to stop them.

Soo, maybe as The Realist said we really do need a hard border?

1 minute ago, Locke said:

No I don't, but how do you differentiate between nationals and foreigners?

Surely as soon as the get to Eire they can just drive to the UK (NI) as the border is soft? 

No one or nothing to stop them.

Soo, maybe as The Realist said we really do need a hard border?

I think we do but it won't happen. 

Differentiate by having ID on you.

Ok. Will Brexit happen?

I have a nasty feeling that May will lose her vote tomorrow and then we won't get a new deal.

Then I think MP's will step in and block Brexit. This is the route that May (a remainer) wants to go in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Locke said:

Ok. Will Brexit happen?

I have a nasty feeling that May will lose her vote tomorrow and then we won't get a new deal.

Then I think MP's will step in and block Brexit. This is the route that May (a remainer) wants to go in my opinion.

May will lose the vote. Brexit is dead in the water in my opinion. The day democracy died. Tomorrow afternoon will be interesting tv watching.

4 minutes ago, Harold said:

May will lose the vote. Brexit is dead in the water in my opinion. The day democracy died. Tomorrow afternoon will be interesting tv watching.

Do you then think May and her cronies will block Brexit with the aid of Labour?

May won't have to do anything. Labour will vote against, Lib Dems will vote against, SNP will vote against, DUP will vote against A large %age of her own party will vote against. I cannot see a 'No Deal' being undertaken. So the options are, imo, the Government ask the EU for an extension to Article 50, a proposal for a 2nd referendum or Corbyn introduces a motion of no confidence in the Government seeking a General Election all of which will take some time. Although the Remainers lost in the referendum it looks as if they have actually won. Everything (so far) that could have been done to thwart democracy has been introduced and has trampled on the wishes of those who voted to leave. My own opinion is......at the start of negotiations the UK should have told the EU that this is what WE are proposing, go away and think about it.....and return with a YES or NO as we (UK) are buckling on nothing!

28 minutes ago, Harold said:

May won't have to do anything. Labour will vote against, Lib Dems will vote against, SNP will vote against, DUP will vote against A large %age of her own party will vote against. I cannot see a 'No Deal' being undertaken. So the options are, imo, the Government ask the EU for an extension to Article 50, a proposal for a 2nd referendum or Corbyn introduces a motion of no confidence in the Government seeking a General Election all of which will take some time. Although the Remainers lost in the referendum it looks as if they have actually won. Everything (so far) that could have been done to thwart democracy has been introduced and has trampled on the wishes of those who voted to leave. My own opinion is......at the start of negotiations the UK should have told the EU that this is what WE are proposing, go away and think about it.....and return with a YES or NO as we (UK) are buckling on nothing!

Yes because really speaking we are not leaving the EU at all under May's deal are we?

It is just a cleverly disguised way of staying in the EU.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Yes because really speaking we are not leaving the EU at all under May's deal are we?

It is just a cleverly disguised way of staying in the EU.

Well until a new trade agreement has been reached (I believe this has to be done within a year of 29/3/19) that is to our benefit also, until we are no longer under the jurisdiction of EU law and until the 2 year transition period has ended then yes, for all intents and purposes, we are still under their influence albeit having paid £38 Billion & unable to have any say.

3 hours ago, Harold said:

That was the plan all along

14 minutes ago, redblood said:

That was the plan all along

Yep, wouldn't disagree with that. I've just seen a statement on Sky News from Theresa May saying that "NO BREXIT is more likely than a NO DEAL".

I'm going to have a drink shortly watching the shambles....think I'll need it..........:flashing-lol: