Climate Change thread

boro_boy

17 minutes ago, sployal said:

For the moment there is no electric car which can run up to 250 miles without needing a battery recharge which takes an average 40 to 60 mns if not longer, most of them run a little over 125 miles.

The battery takes up more space than your actual engine and recycling will be a major problem.

Well that's progress, can't beat it🤣

Was there not a problem of some sort regards having to mine for lithium for the batteries SP ?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Harold said:

Was there not a problem of some sort regards having to mine for lithium for the batteries SP ?

Afghanistan: Taliban to reap $1 trillion mineral wealth.

To date, the Taliban have profited from the opium and heroin trade. Now the militant group effectively rules a country with valuable resources that China needs to grow its economy.

The Taliban have been handed a huge financial and geopolitical edge in relations with the world's biggest powers as the militant group seizes control of Afghanistan for a second time.

In 2010, a report by US military experts and geologists estimated that Afghanistan, one of the world's poorest countries, was sitting on nearly $1 trillion (€850 billion) in mineral wealth, thanks to huge iron, copper, lithium, cobalt and rare-earth deposits.

In the subsequent decade, most of those resources remained untouched due to ongoing violence in the country. Meanwhile, the value of many of those minerals has skyrocketed, sparked by the global transition to green energy. A follow-up report by the Afghan government in 2017 estimated that Kabul's new mineral wealth may be as high as $3 trillion, including fossil fuels.

Lithium, which is used in batteries for electric cars, smartphones and laptops, is facing unprecedented demand, with annual growth of 20% compared to just 5-6% a few years ago. The Pentagon memo called Afghanistan the Saudi Arabia of lithium and projected that the country's lithium deposits could equal Bolivia's — one of the world's largest.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

If glaciers are melting then providing proof is maybe a good idea?

yep. the governments need proof that they are melting so they can tax people more money that will stop them from melting. 

Just now, UNIQUE said:

yep. the governments need proof that they are melting so they can tax people more money that will stop them from melting. 

Not sure about the taxation angle, but if it's happening then the populace need to see evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a greenie, but if there is a problem then the evidence had to be revealed.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Not sure about the taxation angle, but if it's happening then the populace need to see evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a greenie, but if there is a problem then the evidence had to be revealed.

yes there is defo a problem but governments making us pay money will not fix it 😄

Just now, UNIQUE said:

yes there is defo a problem but governments making us pay money will not fix it 😄

From where do you think governments get money?

Just now, Hairy Scot said:

From where do you think governments get money?

thats not my point. my point is paying money to the government to drive in these green zone will do nothing to stop the problem. the government are just using the problem as a way to tax people even more. do you think the congeston charge in london has reduced the amount of cars in london. like fuck has it. 

1 hour ago, UNIQUE said:

thats not my point. my point is paying money to the government to drive in these green zone will do nothing to stop the problem. the government are just using the problem as a way to tax people even more. do you think the congeston charge in london has reduced the amount of cars in london. like fuck has it. 

OK, that's very much a localised point of view of a global problem.

Something has to be done, but what?

You'd think with all the brilliant minds at our disposal there could be the chance of an answer.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

I've said for years....Global Warming/Climate change is one of the, if not thee, biggest cons known to mankind. It has ALL to do with money imo Hairy. Look at every so called green initiative...who pays...us the mugs....everything about it comes at a huge financial cost to the general public.

Up to a point I agree.
However, there can be no doubt that changes are occurring.
They may not have a great impact in the short term, but long term?
As I said earlier, I am not a greenie, but given the geological history of the planet there will be an apocalyptic event regardless of what we do.
Will our actions make a difference?

However, if spending a few bucks makes people feel better, then what's the harm?

2 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

However, there can be no doubt that changes are occurring.

yep.....but it is claimed by the green zealots that it is ALL down to man made actions.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Will our actions make a difference?

nobody knows.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

However, if spending a few bucks makes people feel better, then what's the harm?

because it includes those who disagree with their obsession and those who object to financing the big players!

4 minutes ago, Harold said:

yep.....but it is claimed by the green zealots that it is ALL down to man made actions.

As I said, I am not a greenie, I think it is a natural cycle.

nobody knows.

agreed

because it includes those who disagree with their obsession and those who object to financing the big players!

so what's new? that's par for the course with most government spending

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I don't give a feck about the environment, why should I? Im happy enough driving around in a fossil fueled car, and i also enjoy m ybeef, and all the cow farts that go with it. My types haven't got that long left on this planet, so why should we worry anyhow.

Tho I am sure in the not to distant future when we are gone, It won't be a problem anyhow seeing as Greta Greenbum and her types know everything, so will sort it all out in record time.

I don't really see what all the shouting is about.

An article by Andrew Neil on how WE, the public, are being totally shafted by governments vanity projects on this subject and of course how it is the public who have to pay for them. Quite lengthy, very frightening but very very interesting...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10074327/Still-keen-green-bills-arrived-ANDREW-NEIL-warns-storms-come.html

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "I demand everyone drive electric cars now! WE WE'RE MINING THE COBALT FOR YOUR BATTERIES AS FAST AS WE CAN, GRETA."

Guess what ? Slave labour but no cunt on the Green side will mention THAT !!!!!!!!

Cobalt poisoning

Cobalt chloride; Cobalt oxide; Cobalt sulfate

Cobalt is a naturally occurring element in the earth's crust. It is a very small part of our environment. Cobalt is a component of vitamin B12, which supports the production of red blood cells. Very small amounts are needed for animals and humans to stay healthy. Cobalt poisoning can occur when you are exposed to large amounts of it. There are three basic ways that cobalt can cause poisoning. You can swallow it, breathe it into your lungs, or have it come in constant contact with your skin.

Cobalt poisoning can also occur from the wear and tear of some cobalt/chromium metal-on-metal hip implants. This type of implant is an artificial hip socket that is created by fitting a metal ball into a metal cup. Sometimes, metal particles (cobalt) are released as the metal ball grinds against the metal cup when you walk. These metal particles (ions) can get released into the hip socket and sometimes the bloodstream, causing cobalt toxicity.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number (such as 911), or the local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Poisonous Ingredient

Cobalt

Where Found

Cobalt is a component of vitamin B12, an essential vitamin.

Cobalt is also found in:

• Alloys
  • Batteries
  • Chemistry/crystal sets
  • Drill bits, saw blades, and other machine tools
  • Dyes and pigments (cobalt blue)
  • Magnets
  • Some metal-on-metal hip implants
  • Tires

Cobalt was once used as a stabilizer in beer foam. It caused a condition called "beer-drinker's heart," which resulted in heart muscle weakness.

This list may not be all inclusive.

Symptoms

Usually you have to be exposed to high levels of cobalt for weeks to months to have symptoms. However, it is possible to have some symptoms if you swallow a large amount of cobalt at one time.

The most worrisome form of cobalt poisoning occurs when you breathe it into your lungs. This usually will only happen in industrial settings where large amounts of drilling, polishing, or other processes release fine particles containing cobalt into the air. Breathing in this cobalt dust can lead to chronic lung problems. If you breathe in this substance for long periods, you will likely develop breathing problems that are similar to asthma or pulmonary fibrosis, such as shortness of breath and decreased exercise tolerance.

• Administrator

Apparently wind speeds across Europe have dropped by 15% this year and industry experts are blaming climate change 🤣😂🤣😂🤣.

Wind speeds drop across Europe as energy prices to be driven up HIGHER https://mol.im/a/10075301 via http://dailym.ai/android

Takes the piss doesn't it. Everything is blamed on "man made" climate change.