New Points System, Member Shop and Betting Apps Read more... ×
Harold

Thankfully all Scots

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

Of course it makes sense for a shopkeeper to refuse to accept a sack full of 10p or 20p coins in payment for a sizeable bill.

I agree. Only reason that was included by me was because it was in the C&P section. Really has nowt to do with this.

However refusing to accept what is deemed legal currency by the government of the country does not make sense at all.

I agree and have not said otherwise.

That you continually refuse to acknowledge that fact

Where have I refused to accept it ? I am simply posting the facts of what the shopkeeper can do!

The type of stubbornness that you so despise in those who would have an independent Scotland.

Given my other answers in this quote perhaps you should re-evaluate your opinion.

Do you not mean a 'separate' Scotland ?

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament.  However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.  In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

HM Treasury is responsible for defining which notes have ‘legal tender’ status within the United Kingdom and the following extract from Bank of England’s website may help to clarify what is meant by “legal tender” and how little practical meaning the phrase has in everyday transactions.

“The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.”
(Ref. www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm.)

Let commonsense prevail.

For narrow read restrictive or restricted.

So, why isn't it an offence then to attempt to use non legal tender to pay for something at a checkout?

23 minutes ago, Locke said:

So, why isn't it an offence then to attempt to use non legal tender to pay for something at a checkout?

Can you not grasp the simple fact that "legal currency" is what matters? "Legal Tender" is an obsolete and outdated concept.

Surely you, as a staunch supporter of the UK, can see that what parliament defines as "legal currency" is what matters and that that is applicable to all the member countries of the UK.

SO the shopkeeper has no legal right to refuse legal currency. He can refuse the transaction for any number of reasons so long as those will stand up in court, but he cannot refuse on the grounds that he deems the currency not to be legal tender.

It's simple.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Can you not grasp the simple fact that "legal currency" is what matters? "Legal Tender" is an obsolete and outdated concept.

Surely you, as a staunch supporter of the UK, can see that what parliament defines as "legal currency" is what matters and that that is applicable to all the member countries of the UK.

SO the shopkeeper has no legal right to refuse legal currency. He can refuse the transaction for any number of reasons so long as those will stand up in court, but he cannot refuse on the grounds that he deems the currency not to be legal tender.

It's simple.

Yes I can grasp it thank you very much.

I am not sure I fully agree with everything you are saying though.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

It's simple.

The shopkeeper can refuse ANY transaction he wishes & cannot be taken to court...

You don’t really have any rights. If a shopkeeper refuses a transaction, your only real option is to just go elsewhere.

You can’t force them to accept your cash or report them to the authorities if they don’t.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

The shopkeeper can refuse ANY transaction he wishes & cannot be taken to court...

You don’t really have any rights. If a shopkeeper refuses a transaction, your only real option is to just go elsewhere.

You can’t force them to accept your cash or report them to the authorities if they don’t.

It is about like the notice on a lot of pub and nightclub entrances.

The Management reserve the right to refuse entry.

1 minute ago, Locke said:

It is about like the notice on a lot of pub and nightclub entrances.

The Management reserve the right to refuse entry.

and do not require to give any reason. i'm not saying this is correct but that is what the reality is.

On 06/12/2018 at 23:38, Locke said:

So businesses must accept legal currency by law, but not legal tender?

ACH, don't be so obtuse.

and do not require to give any reason. i'm not saying this is correct but that is what the reality is.

The refusal must take place before any transaction is initiated.

Yes it is Harold.

It happens all over the UK every Friday and Saturday night. 

The nightclub says it doesn't want someone's cash and therefore a deal cannot be made.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic.

Thank fuck I now live in a country where such petty parochial nonsense is not an everyday occurrence.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

ACH, don't be so obtuse.

They use that word a lot in The Shawshank Redemption.

The governor called it Andy DuFrain.

We all know what happened to him! :)

2 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

The refusal must take place before any transaction is initiated.

How can this be done before the shopkeeper knows how payment will be made. Should he say to every customer who enters...'I will not accept Scottish banknotes for payment' ?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Anyway, I'm done with this topic.

Thank fuck I now live in a country where such petty parochial nonsense is not an everyday occurrence.

To be clear...the point of the thread was actually nothing to do with the refusal to accept in itself...it was about that daft bastard considering it a 'Hate Crime'.

3 minutes ago, Harold said:

To be clear...the point of the thread was actually nothing to do with the refusal to accept in itself...it was about that daft bastard considering it a 'Hate Crime'.

:laughing-smiley-face::laughing-smiley-face::laughing-smiley-face:

Daft bastard about sums him up.

9 hours ago, Harold said:

Aye, and we all agreed on that.    :)

8 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Aye, and we all agreed on that.    :)

yep, but unfortunately it progressed from that.