Harold

Thankfully all Scots

7 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Can you not grasp the simple fact that "legal currency" is what matters? "Legal Tender" is an obsolete and outdated concept.

Surely you, as a staunch supporter of the UK, can see that what parliament defines as "legal currency" is what matters and that that is applicable to all the member countries of the UK.

SO the shopkeeper has no legal right to refuse legal currency. He can refuse the transaction for any number of reasons so long as those will stand up in court, but he cannot refuse on the grounds that he deems the currency not to be legal tender.

It's simple.

The shopkeeper can refuse ANY transaction he wishes & cannot be taken to court...

You don’t really have any rights. If a shopkeeper refuses a transaction, your only real option is to just go elsewhere.

You can’t force them to accept your cash or report them to the authorities if they don’t.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

The shopkeeper can refuse ANY transaction he wishes & cannot be taken to court...

You don’t really have any rights. If a shopkeeper refuses a transaction, your only real option is to just go elsewhere.

You can’t force them to accept your cash or report them to the authorities if they don’t.

It is about like the notice on a lot of pub and nightclub entrances.

The Management reserve the right to refuse entry.

1 minute ago, Locke said:

It is about like the notice on a lot of pub and nightclub entrances.

The Management reserve the right to refuse entry.

and do not require to give any reason. i'm not saying this is correct but that is what the reality is.

and do not require to give any reason. i'm not saying this is correct but that is what the reality is.

The refusal must take place before any transaction is initiated.

Yes it is Harold.

It happens all over the UK every Friday and Saturday night. 

The nightclub says it doesn't want someone's cash and therefore a deal cannot be made.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

The refusal must take place before any transaction is initiated.

How can this be done before the shopkeeper knows how payment will be made. Should he say to every customer who enters...'I will not accept Scottish banknotes for payment' ?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Anyway, I'm done with this topic.

Thank fuck I now live in a country where such petty parochial nonsense is not an everyday occurrence.

To be clear...the point of the thread was actually nothing to do with the refusal to accept in itself...it was about that daft bastard considering it a 'Hate Crime'.

9 hours ago, Harold said:

To be clear...the point of the thread was actually nothing to do with the refusal to accept in itself...it was about that daft bastard considering it a 'Hate Crime'.

Aye, and we all agreed on that.    :)