Sign in to follow this  
boro_boy

Why Neymar Left Barcelona?

Many thought it was just a rumor or some more noise being made by the press. No one really paid attention to it until it actually happened. Neymar’s transfer from Barcelona to PSG in the summer of 2017 is one that still divides opinion, the nature of the deal, the amount of money involved, the conduct of all parties, etc. Just about everything involved has been a source of controversy.

So many sections of the footballing world expressed discomfort at the amount of money PSG, Barcelona, and other European powerhouses were circulating. It even led to La Liga authorities refusing to sanction the deal in fear of investigation from authorities. The deal eventually went through, sending the footballing world into meltdown as people questioned why Neymar would leave Barcelona.

Neymar's astronomical wages at PSG led many to believe that it was for financial reasons, as he was set to earn more than £500,000 per week playing in France. But anyone who had followed Neymar’s career from the youth days at Santos would know that he is as ambitious as he is talented.

Ballon d’Or

Having hailed from Brazil, a country with such an illustrious list of Ballon d'Or winners, there has been pressure on his shoulders to follow in the footsteps of Kaka, Ronaldinho, and Ronaldo to bring the glory days back to Brazil.

That ambition and will to win Ballon d’Or were undoubtedly the dominant factors behind the decision to leave Spain. As talented as he was, he needed to feel like the main man, to lead his team to the Champions League, and get the credit required to win Ballon d'Or. There was no way he was doing that at Barcelona; not with Lionel Messi around.

Barcelona's record-breaking 2014/2015 season saw them win the treble, with Neymar contributing 39 goals and topping the charts for assists in Europe. There was widespread acclaim for Neymar and his strike partners Messi and Suarez, as the trio scored a record-breaking 122 goals.

However, Messi would get the majority of the plaudits and Ballon d'Or. Neymar knew he would never win the award while playing alongside the best player in the world.

PSG Era

PSG offered him an opportunity to be the star attraction of one of Europe's top teams, as well as a huge salary and an appealing project of winning the Champions League together. His signing instantly made PSG favorites for the trophy, with majo betting sites tipping them to beat Madrid and Bayern to the trophy.

The deal made sense from a commercial and sporting perspective for both Neymar and PSG. It was over to them to prove the critics wrong by winning the Champions League together.

The first attempt went horribly wrong, with the last-16 exit to Madrid leaving much to be desired.

A second season without the Champions League trophy could see more questions asked amid reported interest in Neymar's signature from Real Madrid.

Whether PSG will help Neymar realize his dream is yet to be seen. A player with such an illustrious career and impressive trophy cabinet will never be short of suitors. Madrid's interest in him will be in the back of his mind the longer he goes without a Champions League or Ballon d'Or trophy.

A club like Real, with the long history of Ballon d'Or winners, might just be the perfect place to try all over again.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=5d6f14cef0a8d889infographic-neymar-1.png

Haud on....I replied to this....my reply (not derogatory) is deleted but a link is put on to advertise a fucking Loan Company ?

PS BB...this needs kicked well into touch!