Jump to content

Holiday Plans 2019


Mr Magnificent

Recommended Posts

Where are you off to this year?

We have a week booked up in Albufeira, Portugal in mid April.

Then in May we are taking our tent set up to a very nice part of the world just north of Sutton Coldfield. The thinking behind that is if the Grandson doesn't settle we can run him home to bed each night.

July is looking like the USA.

September hoping to do a week in the Lake District in the tent. Hoping to get some fishing done.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Locke said:

Where are you off to this year?

We have a week booked up in Albufeira, Portugal in mid April.

Then in May we are taking our tent set up to a very nice part of the world just north of Sutton Coldfield. The thinking behind that is if the Grandson doesn't settle we can run him home to bed each night.

July is looking like the USA.

September hoping to do a week in the Lake District in the tent. Hoping to get some fishing done

Would that be the camping/caravan site in Kingsbury? My old neighbour had the exact same idea as you, and it worked out great for them, tho it took a few weekends for it to work tho. Logically it's brilliant as you can deal with any eventuality, whilst still being away from the rat race, costs literally nothing, perfect. Far wiser than say taking him straight to the lakes, where if he never settled it would be game over, and a waste of time and money.

As for my own holiday plans, We have a week in Cape Verde booked, My son is getting married in Poland in July, so will be a week or so there, Poland is the most under rated country i have ever been, it really is stunning. I am getting desperate now to get to Croatia, seems like it's never gonna happen, always something getting in the way of it. It's gonna happen this year tho, When i set my bucket list on there was me wanting to visit 50 countries, for 5 years now, iv'e been stuck on 47. Croatia, Malta, and Madeira, are the 3 places i really want to go. Tho my sister insist's i have been to Malta, and has even shown me the purse she says i got her as a gift from there , which has Malta embedded in it,1984 she's adamant. Not sure i could ever forget going there tho, seriously, how could one forget that? I know there was a lot of drug and alcohol abuse tho forgetting a holiday, which at that time would have been one of my earlier trips abroad. Still confuses me that one.

As for you going to Albufeira, you seemed to adopt an attitude of trashing anything Portuguese since you learned of me having a Villa there.

Albufeira is a good place to go, tho i strongly do not advise it, for anybody with mobility issues. It is hilly as feck, and the pavement's are horrible little square type cobbles.

You have said before your wife has mobility issues, so maybe do a bit of research before going. It could turn out to be awful, or great, just research so you know it's ok. Monte Gordo is nice too, right on the edge of Algarve very close to Spain. It's very flat in comparison.

If you go Albufeira and want to know about anything give me a shout i have been 14 times, I can't advise on the best as that is down to opinion, tho i can certainly advise you of the places to avoid, each time iv'e been i always  the  used same taxi driver.They can be priceless in terms of advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Would that be the camping/caravan site in Kingsbury? My old neighbour had the exact same idea as you, and it worked out great for them, tho it took a few weekends for it to work tho. Logically it's brilliant as you can deal with any eventuality, whilst still being away from the rat race, costs literally nothing, perfect. Far wiser than say taking him straight to the lakes, where if he never settled it would be game over, and a waste of time and money.

As for my own holiday plans, We have a week in Cape Verde booked, My son is getting married in Poland in July, so will be a week or so there, Poland is the most under rated country i have ever been, it really is stunning. I am getting desperate now to get to Croatia, seems like it's never gonna happen, always something getting in the way of it. It's gonna happen this year tho, When i set my bucket list on there was me wanting to visit 50 countries, for 5 years now, iv'e been stuck on 47. Croatia, Malta, and Madeira, are the 3 places i really want to go. Tho my sister insist's i have been to Malta, and has even shown me the purse she says i got her as a gift from there , which has Malta embedded in it,1984 she's adamant. Not sure i could ever forget going there tho, seriously, how could one forget that? I know there was a lot of drug and alcohol abuse tho forgetting a holiday, which at that time would have been one of my earlier trips abroad. Still confuses me that one.

As for you going to Albufeira, you seemed to adopt an attitude of trashing anything Portuguese since you learned of me having a Villa there.

Albufeira is a good place to go, tho i strongly do not advise it, for anybody with mobility issues. It is hilly as feck, and the pavement's are horrible little square type cobbles.

You have said before your wife has mobility issues, so maybe do a bit of research before going. It could turn out to be awful, or great, just research so you know it's ok. Monte Gordo is nice too, right on the edge of Algarve very close to Spain. It's very flat in comparison.

If you go Albufeira and want to know about anything give me a shout i have been 14 times, I can't advise on the best as that is down to opinion, tho i can certainly advise you of the places to avoid, each time iv'e been i always  the  used same taxi driver.They can be priceless in terms of advice.

Yes it is Kingsbury. We can't go wrong really. As my other half said if the weather is shite we aren't a million miles from home. If the Grandson wants to go home then Wylde Green is on the doorstep. The Dog & Doublet is on the doorstep for drinks.  We have £2000 invested in the tent and furniture etc. We love it.

I had researched Albufeira beforehand but the wife wants to go for the beaches. I will either get her a mobility scooter for the week or just use a taxi as i heard they are reasonably priced. Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria was horrendous in terms of hills but we got by. Feck it i might just get a double mobility scooter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Locke said:

Yes it is Kingsbury. We can't go wrong really. As my other half said if the weather is shite we aren't a million miles from home. If the Grandson wants to go home then Wylde Green is on the doorstep. The Dog & Doublet is on the doorstep for drinks.  We have £2000 invested in the tent and furniture etc. We love it.

I had researched Albufeira beforehand but the wife wants to go for the beaches. I will either get her a mobility scooter for the week or just use a taxi as i heard they are reasonably priced. Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria was horrendous in terms of hills but we got by. Feck it i might just get a double mobility scooter!

An good alternative to taxi's are the tuk tuks, a cross between a golf buggy and and old milk float, I like them.

Also location is important as it's such a big place, stretching from the Marina to Santa Eulalia. Marina-old town,-strip. i like the strip, tho the hill at the bottom down to the beach is horrendous. Santa Eulalia is pretty dull tho. for food, try and seek out the Portuguese cafes, where the local's eat, cheap and great quality, I find Nando's shite after eating in the local cafe's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/01/2019 at 20:17, The Realist said:

An good alternative to taxi's are the tuk tuks, a cross between a golf buggy and and old milk float, I like them.

Also location is important as it's such a big place, stretching from the Marina to Santa Eulalia. Marina-old town,-strip. i like the strip, tho the hill at the bottom down to the beach is horrendous. Santa Eulalia is pretty dull tho. for food, try and seek out the Portuguese cafes, where the local's eat, cheap and great quality, I find Nando's shite after eating in the local cafe's.

How do I get a tuk tuk?

Can you recommend any local restaurants in Albufeira? Not tourist joints but where the natives eat?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Locke said:

How do I get a tuk tuk?

Can you recommend any local restaurants in Albufeira? Not tourist joints but where the natives eat?

cafe o Farnell, just off the strip by Libertos night club, and cafe O Jorge, by Mc Donalds, on the main road through.

The Tuk Tuks are everywhere just like Taxis, just jump on/in one.

Edited by The Realist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Locke said:

O Farnell sounds very Irish.

All the Portuguese cafes have an O,  O, farnell is the nicer of the 2, O'Jorge looks like a shed from the outside, tho you can enter through the supermarket below it.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0xd1acd8e86aa6afb:0x5c22277091a33a0c!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/cafe%2Bo%2Bfarnel%2Balbufeira/@37.0910577,-8.2282126,3a,75y,345.91h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sYND0X8iFZnZkPgEvkr6ydA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0xd1acd8e86aa6afb:0x5c22277091a33a0c!5scafe+o+farnel+albufeira+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sYND0X8iFZnZkPgEvkr6ydA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBiKOs99nfAhUJXRUIHU6vBuMQpx8wD3oECAYQCw

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0xd1acc1f22074269:0x1273f3911a9c68e7!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNzYguOpeM5D2VlxO4scMRU7qyVyiARqKoica0%3Dw284-h160-k-no!5scafe+o+jorge+albufeira+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNzYguOpeM5D2VlxO4scMRU7qyVyiARqKoica0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8mdH099nfAhXcQxUIHQMxAD4QoiowCnoECAYQBg

Black pork at o Jorge, Steak at Farnell, meal for 2, with drinks around 20 euros, with the complimentary shots of port afterwards.

Avoid Bank in the old town square, very expensive and not that good, also Zanse just off the square is shite, tho cheap as anything.

Breakfast has to be Doris at the top of the strip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Flying out for two-week break in Orlando this July, gonna take the youngest around the parks. 

We might head back to the USA in July.

Just south of Pittsburgh forces family reunion. Will have to see how finances are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

 

Black pork at o Jorge, Steak at Farnell, meal for 2, with drinks around 20 euros, with the complimentary shots of port afterwards.

Avoid Bank in the old town square, very expensive and not that good, also Zanse just off the square is shite, tho cheap as anything.

Breakfast has to be Doris at the top of the strip.

O Farnel and Doris are less than 1000 metres from where we are staying.

I will be sure to check them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    6.9k
    Total Topics
    175.7k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    819
    Total Members
    3,654
    Most Online
    shiva1993
    Newest Member
    shiva1993
    Joined
  • New users  2 New users online in the last 24 hours

×
×
  • Create New...