redblood

Old stadiums

For our older members on here, what were the stadiums like back in the 80’s when you had none of this safe standing bollocks?

Interested in hearing a few stories from back in the day, just before my time as a football fan

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, redblood said:

For our older members on here, what were the stadiums like back in the 80’s when you had none of this safe standing bollocks?

Interested in hearing a few stories from back in the day, just before my time as a football fan

Birmingham on the old Kop and Tilton was a zoo held together by corrugated iron and not much else.

Fights often broke out, pissing in the stand was normal. 

But there was a cracking atmosphere!

Edited by Locke

9 hours ago, redblood said:

I'll take you back further than that mate. This is a photo of Ibrox before redevelopment. For games against Celtic it wasn't unusual to have between 80000 & 90000 at these games. This was how it looked in 1971(I was 15 at the time) when the Ibrox disaster happened. I was at that game with my mate on a supporters bus. Celtic scored with a minute to go so as the crowd was so large (80000) we decided to miss the crowd descending 'Stairway 13'. We got about 6 steps down then heard the roar...Rangers had equalised. We ran back up to the top of the terracing, saw the kick off then went back down the stairs (I missed the dreadful events by no more than a minute but of course we had no idea what had happened. That night was very foggy and our bus was a lot later in getting home and my parents were going frantic thinking the worst as they had heard on tv about what had happened. I eventually got home wondering what the fuss was all about. The atmosphere at these games was phenomenal.

Image result for old images of ibrox stadium

At the left hand side of the stadium with the roof cover over the terracing is the traditional 'Rangers' end with the 'Celtic' end uncovered. At the end of the roof cover (left side) you can just see part of 'Stairway 13' (about halfway down the left side of the picture).

The following is a picture of part of the stairway afterwards.

Related image

I was lucky that day....66 were not. Lest we forget!

This is the old St Andrews Stadium.

Taken on the corner where the Spion Kop meets the Tilton Road stand.

I have spent many, many hours standing in both areas.

5fabbf815b00d88633987677801a4783--birmingham-city-fc-st-andrews.jpg

Scottish Cup Final 1973....Rangers 3 v 2 Celtic. Me & same mate I mentioned in previous post were there. 122,000 at the game.

Image result for scottish cup final 1973 images

We were in the covered end and it was a struggle to move....so much so that I couldn't/wouldn't get out to go for a pish (I'd never get back in) so I just pished where I stood. Poor cunt in front of me probably had soaking jeans. After the game we got chased by Celtic fans as the stupid coach driver had parked at their end.

Same at St Andrews.

Everyone used to go to the back on the Kop and piss against corrugated iron. Rivers of piss would roll from top to bottom at half time. The pie stand was back there too.

44,000 is the biggest standing gate I remember there against Watford in quarter final of FA Cup. We lost 1-3 and Barnes scored a screamer. Packed in very tight that day.

23 minutes ago, Locke said:

Same at St Andrews.

Everyone used to go to the back on the Kop and piss against corrugated iron. Rivers of piss would roll from top to bottom at half time. The pie stand was back there too.

44,000 is the biggest standing gate I remember there against Watford in quarter final of FA Cup. We lost 1-3 and Barnes scored a screamer. Packed in very tight that day.

I've been at Hampden on numerous occasions with over 100,000 crowds, Ibrox 80,000 & Parkhead 70,000.....great atmospheres.

Only 37 years of age so I can only remember a few games of standing at Old Trafford, I remember standing against the red railings with my dad's mates son for a game against Leicester city and also for a testimonial match against City. 

My actual season ticket match attending days were all seated. 

I remember this day well as I was standing half way up the Kop on about half way line.

Unfortunately a young Leeds fan lost his life that day and a large amount of damage was done to the stadium.

The old clock and Jeff Astle scoreboard are long gone.

Birmingham-Riots-in-May-1985-6.jpg

I wasn't at this game but thought it worth showing simply due to the size of the crowd. It is Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final replay (Gers won 3-0) and was taken minutes before kick off. This is the Rangers end in the foreground. Quite astonishing.

Image result for old ibrox crowds images

13 minutes ago, Locke said:

The Realist/Superally correct me if I am wrong but was the sponsor of the clock Ansell's Brewery?

6 hours ago, Locke said:

The Realist/Superally correct me if I am wrong but was the sponsor of the clock Ansell's Brewery?

If memory serves it was, tho at one point it did have longuiness on it or maybe both.

That Leeds game, one of the best footballing days of my life.Sheer mayhem all day long.

18 minutes ago, The Realist said:

If memory serves it was, tho at one point it did have longuiness on it or maybe both.

That Leeds game, one of the best footballing days of my life.Sheer mayhem all day long.

You sound quite proud of events.

7 hours ago, Locke said:

I remember this day well as I was standing half way up the Kop on about half way line.

Unfortunately a young Leeds fan lost his life that day and a large amount of damage was done to the stadium.

Jeff Astle was an Albion legend, tho never played for Blues fella. The Jeff Hall memorial clock was preserved and is still on view at St, Andrews today. Jeff Hall was a Blues legend who sadly died of polio, at a young age.

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Jeff Astle was an Albion legend, tho never played for Blues fella. The Jeff Hall memorial clock was preserved and is still on view at St, Andrews today. Jeff Hall was a Blues legend who sadly died of polio, at a young age.

That's the fella!

My Dad told me the polio story.

9 minutes ago, Locke said:

That's the fella!

My Dad told me the polio story.

You got me a bit confused too there when i read the post, maybe it's just the name Jeff that threw it.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Locke said:

You sound quite proud of events.

Not saying i'm proud, just saying i enjoyed the day, there is actually quite a big difference there.

Reading the press the next day and learning of the young lad who lost his life at Stans that day, and also the Bradford fire was a big big downer.

Edited by The Realist

7 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Not saying i'm proud, just saying i enjoyed the day, there is actually quite a big difference there.

Reading the press the next and learning of the young lad who lost his life at Stans that day, and also the Bradford fire was a big big downer.

It certainly was mayhem. 

The game against West Ham at our place around the same era was worst.

That was the only time I ever remember away fans actually coming quite close to getting in our end.

2 minutes ago, Locke said:

It certainly was mayhem. 

The game against West Ham at our place around the same era was worst.

That was the only time I ever remember away fans actually coming quite close to getting in our end.

Would that be in the cup in January 84? It was totally different tho, west Ham was literally toe to toe fighting everywhere, rather than the mass mayhem v Leeds, where it was mostly Blues vs the old bill.

11 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Would that be in the cup in January 84? It was totally different tho, west Ham was literally toe to toe fighting everywhere, rather than the mass mayhem v Leeds, where it was mostly Blues vs the old bill.

Yes and agreed.

West Ham came for it that day. 

I really thought they might take the Kop at one point. They were inside at the back but couldn't make it up steps or embankment.

7 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Ayresome Park was good went to a few games as a kid. 

IMG_2033.jpg

boro.jpg

Never been to Ayresome Park or Riverside mate.