The Realist

The 2nd Day.

In the new job, is about to begin, or the first proper day, after all the introductions etc. Seems staff moral isn't great, which i will work on as a priority, there is also a bit of diviseiveness between the managers and the operatives, which needs to be addressed. I am tho today gonna piss a few of the managers off, by removing all their reserved parking spaces, and it will be a first come first served basis. If the cleaner gets into work bright and early, why should they have to walk further? If i am late  i don't expect a nice parking space by the door, i expect to struggle to find one, and walk like anybody else does. I have done this before, I will let you know how it ends up.

10 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I am tho today gonna piss a few of the managers off, by removing all their reserved parking spaces, and it will be a first come first served basis. If the cleaner gets into work bright and early, why should they have to walk further?

Excellent move. A small step to benefit staff which may assist with moral. It's a start as being a gaffer you'll know well that a satisfied workforce is a productive one.

32 minutes ago, The Realist said:

In the new job, is about to begin, or the first proper day, after all the introductions etc. Seems staff moral isn't great, which i will work on as a priority, there is also a bit of diviseiveness between the managers and the operatives, which needs to be addressed. I am tho today gonna piss a few of the managers off, by removing all their reserved parking spaces, and it will be a first come first served basis. If the cleaner gets into work bright and early, why should they have to walk further? If i am late  i don't expect a nice parking space by the door, i expect to struggle to find one, and walk like anybody else does. I have done this before, I will let you know how it ends up.

A day isn't very long in the way of induction in this day and age.

I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

If you have discovered division between certain managers and operatives then someone has been thrown under the bus at a very early stage.

I always used to tread very lightly for the first month or so. I made a decision once on the back of something the office gossip/snide said to me. It ended up to be a poor one as i hadn't taken the time to get to know my source of information first.

I doubt if removing privileges put in place by previous regimes will do much for morale, and acting on info gained from an office gossip is not an act which demonstrates a high moral standard.

Act in haste and repent at leisure..

30 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I doubt if removing privileges put in place by previous regimes will do much for morale,

Realist isn't 'removing' a privilege mate....he is instating one for the workforce. I'd imagine that as being a wee bonus for the workers. A small step can sometimes go a long way. Only time will tell.

34 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

and acting on info gained from an office gossip

However.....Locke also said....

1 hour ago, Locke said:

as i hadn't taken the time to get to know my source of information first.

A mistake he would have learned from and presumably not repeated.

47 minutes ago, Harold said:

However.....Locke also said....

A mistake he would have learned from and presumably not repeated.

Yes, always take at least a month to see what is what.

Personally I would not change a thing for the first month even if it was obvious something needed changed.

Everyone's style is different. There is no right or wrong way. Personally if I had a car parking space that was removed on the second day I wouldn't say a thing as it wouldn't bother me, but you know it will bother some and those might be people you need along the way. 

7 hours ago, Locke said:

Yes, always take at least a month to see what is what.

Personally I would not change a thing for the first month even if it was obvious something needed changed.

Everyone's style is different. There is no right or wrong way. Personally if I had a car parking space that was removed on the second day I wouldn't say a thing as it wouldn't bother me, but you know it will bother some and those might be people you need along the way. 

Time is not your ally at my level. Anyhow the parking spaces have gone (seemed a very popular move). The day has been a lot to do with budget/finance. I struggle to believe how much is being spent on MHE/maintenance costs, also paying for the waste to be removed is also wasting a lot of money. Vending machines charging 50p a cup in a warehouse canteen?? FFS, that has to be changed ASAP. Also an issue is the money being paid to the agency who provides operatives.

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Time is not your ally at my level. Anyhow the parking spaces have gone (seemed a very popular move). The day has been a lot to do with budget/finance. I struggle to believe how much is being spent on MHE/maintenance costs, also paying for the waste to be removed is also wasting a lot of money. Vending machines charging 50p a cup in a warehouse canteen?? FFS, that has to be changed ASAP. Also an issue is the money being paid to the agency who provides operatives.

As I said it is all about styles.

I disagree with what you say about time and your level. 

Every employees time is important no matter what their level. They are all pieces in the jigsaw. 

Some managers take time and weigh it all up and some don't. Horses for courses.

You will find the staff will leave the places empty for the managers through fear of the repercussions further down the line.

Personally, I feel nothing other than a good piss up works in terms of moral, get the lad/women pissed and get to the route of the issues that way. Let the knobheads reveal themselves and talk to the ones whos moral is clearly low to find out what the issues are. Sometimes moral is low because people are working in jobs they aren't enjoying, my advice to anyone like that is get out there and find something you enjoy doing rather than bring down the place you are working. 

16 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

You will find the staff will leave the places empty for the managers through fear of the repercussions further down the line.

Personally, I feel nothing other than a good piss up works in terms of moral, get the lad/women pissed and get to the route of the issues that way. Let the knobheads reveal themselves and talk to the ones whos moral is clearly low to find out what the issues are. Sometimes moral is low because people are working in jobs they aren't enjoying, my advice to anyone like that is get out there and find something you enjoy doing rather than bring down the place you are working. 

You're very lucky if you enjoy your job. I don't mind mine at the moment, its pretty good. But when i'm on a big frigate it can he horrendous!! Luckily I only have 3 1/2 years left. 

Posted (edited)

I don't particularly enjoy my job, but it is easy and I have no responsibility unlike my last position.

The best thing about my job is that it is three shifts per week and the pay is exceptional. I only live five minutes away too.

Oh and every six weeks I get a week off.

Edited by Locke

On 08/01/2019 at 07:38, Harold said:

Excellent move. A small step to benefit staff which may assist with moral. It's a start as being a gaffer you'll know well that a satisfied workforce is a productive one.

Exactly. A happy workforce is the most important thing.

14 hours ago, Locke said:

As I said it is all about styles.

I disagree with what you say about time and your level. 

Every employees time is important no matter what their level. They are all pieces in the jigsaw. 

Some managers take time and weigh it all up and some don't. Horses for courses.

Not sure you have ever been an Operations director for a large multi national corporation tho have you?

You answer ultimately to shareholders, who are a horrible bunch of greedy bastards, caring only about money/profit. They really don't give a feck about the working man.

Tho there are several sites across the UK, where i am now, is the flagship, a massive investment that hasn't worked too well as of yet.

I am there to change that and i will, as i have a proven track record.

Anyhow, yesterday i dealt with one of the recycling issues. We are paying approx £500 a week to have wood waste removed, which is a commodity, and probably worth a lot of money to those who were charging to remove it.

They have gone, an old contact is now taking it free. £25k a year saving, allowing me to get rid of the vending machines, being replaced with a system where each member of staff has a fob for the machine, which gives them 4 free drinks a day. That equates to a £10 a week rise for them, yet it costs feck all. Took me around 20 mins to arrange all that.

Seem to be making myself very popular already. So many feckin names to remember tho, which i am not the best at anyhow.

27 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Exactly. A happy workforce is the most important thing.

Not sure you have ever been an Operations director for a large multi national corporation tho have you?

You answer ultimately to shareholders, who are a horrible bunch of greedy bastards, caring only about money/profit. They really don't give a feck about the working man.

Tho there are several sites across the UK, where i am now, is the flagship, a massive investment that hasn't worked too well as of yet.

I am there to change that and i will, as i have a proven track record.

Anyhow, yesterday i dealt with one of the recycling issues. We are paying approx £500 a week to have wood waste removed, which is a commodity, and probably worth a lot of money to those who were charging to remove it.

They have gone, an old contact is now taking it free. £25k a year saving, allowing me to get rid of the vending machines, being replaced with a system where each member of staff has a fob for the machine, which gives them 4 free drinks a day. That equates to a £10 a week rise for them, yet it costs feck all. Took me around 20 mins to arrange all that.

Seem to be making myself very popular already. So many feckin names to remember tho, which i am not the best at anyhow.

You best hurry up to work mate else you won't get a car parking space. :banana:

20 minutes ago, Locke said:

You best hurry up to work mate else you won't get a car parking space. :banana:

I don't have a car just now that that isn't an issue, Mrs SA will drop me. today i'm gonna working a few hours alongside each shift, not spent too much time with the afternoon shift yet.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Realist said:

I assume this huge corporation have to show evidence of their carbon footprint and how all of their recycling is processed?

The company that were charging you to remove wood would have had a contract in place mate so that you could show auditors when they came in. There would be paperwork and an email trail with each collection as evidence that the company was recycling responsibly and lawfully.

So, on your third day you cancel all that and get a mate in to do it?

Pull the other one me old China! It's got bells on it. Some might believe ya but it is a no from me.  :laughing-smiley-face:

Edited by Locke

20 hours ago, Locke said:

I assume this huge corporation have to show evidence of their carbon footprint and how all of their recycling is processed?

The company that were charging you to remove wood would have had a contract in place mate so that you could show auditors when they came in. There would be paperwork and an email trail with each collection as evidence that the company was recycling responsibly and lawfully.

So, on your third day you cancel all that and get a mate in to do it?

Pull the other one me old China! It's got bells on it. Some might believe ya but it is a no from me.  :laughing-smiley-face:

Your not very clued up are you?

There was an AGREEMENT, in place, to pay x amount for the service they provided, not a contract, also a waste transfer note is what is required, thus making the waste their responsibility.

Also not quite sure where the getting a mate to do it comes from?. Unless you mean me opting to use the recycling company i used before, who are quite a large company, based in West Bromwich, very big in to equestrian stuff they are, their clients include the royal family military, the Saudi royal family too. Buisness contacts and mates are too very different things. This company also provided us with a weight report which can be used to offset landfill.

I will be moving the MHE, to Linde from Jungheinrich when that contract is up also Shrinkwrap supplier too. Not mates contacts. A facilities department should be centralising all this kind of thing, tho with so many divisions each is done locally. Not very cost effective tho that is to be worked on in the future.

Problem here is the guy before me, had the degree but no real experience. Like passing a theory test doesn't mean you can drive does it.

41 minutes ago, Locke said:

Corporations have contracts, not agreements.

We will leave it at that.

Good day to you. 

You really do not have a clue.

48 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Sorry mate, but IMHO you seem to have a tendency to overrate yourself and to assume that others are somehow lesser beings.

I have met many like you in my 55 years of employment; self centred blow-hards full of piss and wind but with absolutely no substance.

All yak and no shack.

50 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I have more of a clue than you think I do.

I was a Facilities Manager for the nation's biggest employer for over 20 years and there is not a cat in hell's chance that a large corporation would have an agreement. It would be a contract. 

That is all there is to it really 

On 10/01/2019 at 08:54, Locke said:

I have more of a clue than you think I do.

I was a Facilities Manager for the nation's biggest employer for over 20 years and there is not a cat in hell's chance that a large corporation would have an agreement. It would be a contract. 

That is all there is to it really 

Yeah you also had a net working degree, worked in USA for many years etc etc, Facilities are a major drain on ourr NHS, solely due to MP's having vested interests in supplying companies.

We are on a totally different playing field here fella.

Corporation= Group of companies, or similar.

They all operate in different ways.

Corp i work for is French owned.

They have several different companies operating in the UK, independently of each other.(suits the profit/loss, tax avoiding agenda).

Keep thing's as local as possible. Avoid any contract that will?may become a liability. No corporate director will ever sign a contract, as that makes him personally liable. I know you live in a council house, tho if you know anybody who has a mortgage, ask them to look for the signature in the box opposite where they sign, from the representative of the bank/lender. You will never ever find it.