Harold

Andy Murray to retire.

Due to the problem he is still having with his hip Andy Murray will retire from professional tennis. Obviously the surgery he had hasn't helped. He is due to play in the Australian Open starting next week & hopes to finish at this year's Wimbledon. Personally can't see him making that.

www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/11/tearful-andy-murray-to-retire-after-2019-wimbledon-australian-open

I see the BBC are calling him Britain's greatest ever sportsman.

Sorry, he has won three grand slam events (very respectable) but c'mon....Greatest? Really?

Not a chance in my book.

3 minutes ago, Locke said:

I see the BBC are calling him Britain's greatest ever sportsman.

Sorry, he has won three grand slam events (very respectable) but c'mon....Greatest? Really?

Not a chance in my book.

Who would be your nomination ?

I would have to give that a lot of thought.

Daley Thompson springs to mind. Olympic/World decathlon champion repeatedly over ten different disciplines.

Nick Faldo won six  golf Grand Slams.

Not forgetting the 16 times Champion of the world Phil "The Power" Taylor.

Steve Redgrave who won five Olympic gold medals over a twenty year period despite being diabetic.

Lewis Hamton five times world champion.

Ian Botham.,.There are plenty of candidates.

8 hours ago, Harold said:

Due to the problem he is still having with his hip Andy Murray will retire from professional tennis. Obviously the surgery he had hasn't helped. He is due to play in the Australian Open starting next week & hopes to finish at this year's Wimbledon. Personally can't see him making that.

www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/11/tearful-andy-murray-to-retire-after-2019-wimbledon-australian-open

I wish him well, he brought some pride back to British tennis. some may see him as a bit dull, i see him as an athlete who gave us something to shout about. Funny how being a winner made him a British tennis player, no doubt had he been a loser he would still be a Scottish tennis player. Andy Murray i salute you.

If I were Murray I'd bypass the Australian open and prepare with a few warm-up tournaments for Wimbledon. 

Should he finish I'd like it to be in front of his own supporters rather than the Australian public.