The Realist

First Major News Item You Remember!

What was the first major headline you remember when young?

I know some of us older ones on here, were always out playing and enjoying ourselves rather than being stuck in a room on a playstation, so maybe never paid too much notice.

First major one i remember has to be the Ibrox disaster, tho only 7 years old at the time, living in Bonnybridge, i was at the game with my Dad, and knew nothing of it at the time.

Next one is the Birmingham pub bombings. Was living in Greenfaulds Cumbernauld at the time, and i remember my Mom and Sister were starting to get ready for the move back down to Brum.

My Mom was really panic stricken as her sister was in B'ham that night, and having a few drinks after work, she was the manageress of Debenhams at the time.

I have a few other memories of major headlines, tho these are the two that really stand out from childhood.

What stands out for you?

Cannot remember anything major until death of Diana which my parents think was planned. I was 13 back when it happened.

The Omagh bombing a year later also stands out as well

2 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Diana was planned...but not by our Royal Family. Look deeper.

They’re convinced Philip planned it with MI5

2 minutes ago, redblood said:

They’re convinced Philip planned it with MI5

Whatever the case, i'm sure that is a headline most will remember. Young and old.

12 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Look at the boyfriend...

How about making your own thread on conspiracy theories, and leave this one on topic?

9 hours ago, The Realist said:

How about making your own thread on conspiracy theories, and leave this one on topic?

How about accepting threads evolve and stop telling me what to do?

Redblood said something about it being planned and I replied.

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

I know some of us older ones on here, were always out playing and enjoying ourselves rather than being stuck in a room on a playstation, so maybe never paid too much notice.

Yep, that was the mainstay of our younger days....football, cricket, down the burn jumping over the wide or high bits, anything outdoors...hardly had time to watch tv.

What was the first major headline you remember when young?

For some reason the earliest thing that comes to mind was the first Moon Landing in 1969. I don't recall much about it apart from the fact that the picture was fuzzy as fuck.

First major one i remember has to be the Ibrox disaster, tho only 7 years old at the time, living in Bonnybridge, i was at the game with my Dad, and knew nothing of it at the time.

I was there with my mate. I was 15 at the time. We actually went down stairway 13 (I detailed it more in the Old Stadiums thread started by Red Blood). Our bus was late in getting back so my parents were up to high doh and I wondered what the fuck was going on.