Tesla, ans electric cars.

superally

Trying to bring prices down to make their model 3 more affordable. 

Here's my question. The Petrol engine is tried an tested. Generally (correct me if I am wrong) it's been proven to be a very reliable piece of engineering. 10 year old cars, minus a few parts still going strong. 

I can't wrap my head around the possibility that these batteries/circuits are going to be anywhere near as stable after 100,000 miles or 10 years. 

The new electric car market simply doesn't cater for those that simply cannot afford a new car... or anything over a £1000 1.2 litre run around - and these people will always exist. 

What gives ? How are they going to get everyone on board ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47410636

1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

What happens with all the used batteries? I think these electric cars are a bad idea for the environment in years to come. 

I am more curious as to how the national grid will cope with the power demand, when 20 million cars are plugged in for an overnight charge. They have stated in the past that they struggle to cope with the extra power demand when people rush to make a cup of tea during the advert break on Coronation Street FFS.

9 hours ago, The Realist said:

Here's my question. The Petrol engine is tried an tested. Generally (correct me if I am wrong) it's been proven to be a very reliable piece of engineering. 10 year old cars, minus a few parts still going strong. 

I can't wrap my head around the possibility that these batteries/circuits are going to be anywhere near as stable after 100,000 miles or 10 years. 

The new electric car market simply doesn't cater for those that simply cannot afford a new car... or anything over a £1000 1.2 litre run around - and these people will always exist. 

They will change the law and give people no choice.

10 hours ago, The Realist said:

The UK government plan to outlaw petrol/diesel engines by 2040. The Scottish Executive have decided that they are going to better that and outlaw them by 2032. Even if I could afford an electric car I wouldn't touch them out of principle. The 220 mile range as mentioned in the link is the longest I've seen but for someone/family going on holiday or to visit that distance is crap. Then you have to be able to recharge....where will these charging points be situated.....at every garage? How long will it take to fully charge the car? Will there be enough charging points? People run out of petrol but can get to a garage and fill up a can at a garage to get their car moving before filling up....how will they be able to do this with leccy ? This imo is a knee jerk reaction by those who run our country who are in awe to supposed climate change (used to be called global warming but they quickly changed their tune on that one) and kowtow to those tree huggers. As you mentioned in another post....the National Grid....how the fuck will it cope. Personally I doubt if this will come to fruition in the timescale talked about. As per, it's the motorist who is being hammered.....Jesus Christ, Nicola Sturgeon doesn't (can't) even drive....she is ferried about everywhere.......in a car while trying to get us to use public transport @ the bequest of the SNP & these fuckwits aka The Green Party.

10 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Harold, the big and best players like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia will have reliable self charging technology by then. 

I'll believe it when I see it. However, what about other makes ? Why are charging points being talked about being set up throughout the country albeit no details have been given as yet to my knowledge. And again as Realist mention....PRICE. That as always will be a factor.

I am sure other makes will catch on eventually but as a rule in technology the far East usually lead the way.

Prices will come down mate. As with all new technology it is expensive at first.

They introduced electric bikes to the market a few years ago which were very expensive, but now the technology is far better and cheaper.

13 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

I am sure other makes will catch on eventually but as a rule in technology the far East usually lead the way.

Prices will come down mate. As with all new technology it is expensive at first.

They introduced electric bikes to the market a few years ago which were very expensive, but now the technology is far better and cheaper.

Still won't buy one. Fucking con.

5 minutes ago, Harold said:

Still won't buy one. Fucking con.

Main problem I have is they are so quiet. You can't hear them approaching.

More people will get run over.

I found this online: Electric cars are quieter than their gas-powered counterparts. But the relative quiet of electric engines can prevent pedestrians from noticing them in parking lots or near driveways. US regulators will require hybrid and fully-electric vehicles to make sounds when driving up to 18.6 mph by September 2020.25 Apr 2018

Let's hope we follow suit.

Edited by Mr Magnificent

7 hours ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Harold, the big and best players like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia will have reliable self charging technology by then. 

BMW, Jaguar, and Toyota, are the ones rivalling Tesla just now.

Presently, the US government takes money off everyone, even those cannot afford a car, to subsidise someone else's new electric car. This 'works' when there's relatively few being sold. Everyone subsidising everyone else can't work. 

I believe other car companies have to buy 'carbon credits' from Telsa, further subsidising them. Again this would dis-appear if they were all electric cars. 

Electric cars do not make much sense financially, even when using electricity, once you price in the depreciation of the car which costs thousands of pounds more than the petrol equivalent. Also, the more a car costs to replace, the higher the insurance premium. 
Again, governments get huge revenues from car fuel tax. If they were all electric, they will get the money from elsewhere. A huge car ownership tax probably. 

Batteries won't last as long as engines. Ever. 
Batteries wear out faster if you keep running them down, and no doing so further restricts the range. 
Charging. We've all queued for petrol. Imaging queuing for a charger. In the cold. Can't use the heater. B & B for you. 

The National grid isn't designed to carry the electricity needed to replace the energy used by every car on the road. Generally, let alone most of them charging at the same time. It will need replacing. Thousands of miles of cables. Not cheap. (Or energy efficient). Who's going to be sent the bill ultimately. 
Same for the new power stations which will be needed. 

I don't think we will all be driving around in electric cars. Either the government will change it's opinion the way it did with diesels, and things will stay much as they are; or just rich people will be driving electric.

6 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

We've just had a major issue in Auckland with Lime Scooters. These are electric scooters which you can pick up and drop off at designated points in the city.

They are silent and fucking deadly. Not just to other road users but also to their riders. Big question is; "Should they be allowed on footpaths or be on the roads?".

IMHO, if it has a motor then it should not be on a footpath.

Disabled scooters are the same, local high streets can be deadly because of the feckin thing's. Even more annoying is the fact that most people using them, don't need to, they are just too lazy too feckin walk. Fat arses hanging over the seats, reminds me of when my Gran used to bake an apple pie, and trim the pastry around the plate.

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Disabled scooters are the same, local high streets can be deadly because of the feckin thing's. Even more annoying is the fact that most people using them, don't need to, they are just too lazy too feckin walk. Fat arses hanging over the seats, reminds me of when my Gran used to bake an apple pie, and trim the pastry around the plate.

Have a day off will ya!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, The Realist said:

That's always my first though when I see someone on the mobility thingy's. But surely they are given them for a reason? I don't know, maybe some of them just look fat and lazy but they might actually have a reason for using them. Saying that, I still think they are lazy haha :)

Just now, boro_boy said:

That's always my first though when I see someone on the mobility thingy's. But surely they are given them for a reason? I don't know, maybe some of them just look fat and lazy but they might actually have a reason for using them. Saying that, I still think they are lazy haha :)

I've often seen empty ones, outside pubs. How the feck can you have an empty wheelchair, if it's genuinely needed?

1 hour ago, sployal said:

Money, money, money it's a rich mans world.

Government has always seen the motorist as an easy target for a few quid.

The real scandal is ships tho. Just 16 supertankers create more pollution than all the cars in the world.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_shipping