So i'm driving down the motorway today-

superally

Travelling behind a skip lorry, only doing around 55mph, as i was leaving at the junction approx a mile ahead, a rock flies off the skip, bounces on my bonnet, goes through my windscreen like a feckin bullet, and somehow manages to smash the screen inside the car too. Lorry driver obviously oblivious to it, got it on dashcam tho. Not the best of days.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Travelling behind a skip lorry, only doing around 55mph, as i was leaving at the junction approx a mile ahead, a rock flies off the skip, bounces on my bonnet, goes through my windscreen like a feckin bullet, and somehow manages to smash the screen inside the car too. Lorry driver obviously oblivious to it, got it on dashcam tho. Not the best of days.

Fucking hell, that's bad, This is why people need dash cams!

Same thing happened to me a few years back, piece of scaffold (a metal bar) fell off the lorry in front of me about 100metres ahead, bounced up about windshield height then hit the ground and went under my car as i ran over it.

It was a matter of seconds metres and i was getting that bar through the windshield.

Heard the clangs as it passed under the car, checked things as soon as i got home and luckily no damage.

Guest Red Devil
17 minutes ago, sployal said:

Same thing happened to me a few years back, piece of scaffold (a metal bar) fell off the lorry in front of me about 100metres ahead, bounced up about windshield height then hit the ground and went under my car as i ran over it.

It was a matter of seconds metres and i was getting that bar through the windshield.

Heard the clangs as it passed under the car, checked things as soon as i got home and luckily no damage.

Wow! that was two of those unlucky but amazingly lucky moments. 

I've had one major incident in my life that was a matter of inches till certain death, when I was a teenager we'd ride motorbikes on the field all day long, anyway my mate Phil who couldn't ride asked for a backy so I decided to give him what was known as a death ride, speeding up and down the back path on the farmers field until we ended up at the back on the local industrial estate. I'd usually turn around at this point but instead, I decided to take him down the back of the factories which I knew was often dangerous due to the many mini mounds that would see us leave the ground if riding at speed which would lead to an awkward landing. 

Anyway after making it safely down the back of the factories I turned around the blind corner to come round the front only the find the gate which was throat height opened and facing me, I slammed on the brakes and skidded up toward the opened gate I feared we were dead, thankfully we stopped less than about 6 inches from the gate. Any more and we'd both have been decapitated. 

Whenever I see Phil now he reminds me of this moment and how close we were to dying together that day, two weeks later myself and one of my best friends hit each other head on round another blind corner, I flew off my bike and didn't break a bone yet he hit his leg on the underpart of my bikes engine and shattered his lower leg in about four places. 

It was at that point I decided to never ride again and I have never been on a bike since.  

Edited by Red Devil

3 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Wow! that was one of those unlucky but amazingly lucky moments. 

I've had one major incident in my life that was a matter of inches till certain death, when I was a teenager we'd ride motorbikes on the field all day long, anyway my mate Phil who couldn't ride asked for a backy so I decided to give him what was known as a death ride, speeding up and down the back path on the farmers field until we ended up at the back on the local industrial estate. I'd usually turn around at this point but instead, I decided to take him down the back of the factories which I knew was often dangerous due to the many mini mounds that would see us leave the ground if riding at speed which would lead to an awkward landing. 

Anyway after making it safely down the back of the factories I turned around the blind corner to come round the front only the find the gate which was throat height opened and facing me, I slammed on the brakes and skidded up toward the opened gate I feared we were dead, thankfully we stopped less than about 6 inches from the gate. Any more and we'd both have been decapitated. 

Whenever I see Phil now he reminds me of this moment and how close we were to dying together that day, two weeks later myself and one of my best friends hit each other head on round another blind corner, I flew off my bike and didn't break a bone yet he hit his leg on the underpart of my bikes engine and shattered his lower leg in about four places. 

It was at that point I decided to never ride again and I have never been on a bike since.  

Motorbikes have never been my thing RD, i knew enough young in life that for someone like myself it would be a dangerous course.

I prefer life over cheap thrills.

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

Maybe bad for the car, tho nobody was hurt so it's not the end of the world

Very pleased you weren't hurt.....bugger for the car though especially as you haven't had it long.

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

am just praying i don't get a vauxhall as a courtesy car.:flashing-lol:

Hope you end up with a Viva or Corsa......:laughing-smiley-face:

On 20/03/2019 at 08:59, Harold said:

Very pleased you weren't hurt.....bugger for the car though especially as you haven't had it long.

Hope you end up with a Viva or Corsa......:laughing-smiley-face:

Volkswagen Passat, very nice car, barring the fact it's manual. I hate having to change gear lazy fecker me.

12 hours ago, The Realist said:

Volkswagen Passat, very nice car, barring the fact it's manual. I hate having to change gear lazy fecker me.

we've never opted for automatic.....wouldn't feel comfortable with it. How long is your car going to be off the road ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2019 at 08:21, Harold said:

we've never opted for automatic.....wouldn't feel comfortable with it. How long is your car going to be off the road ?

Got the car back today, apparently the repair bill was over £6k, I'm not convinced myself, but garages tend to rape insurers for every penny they can, as insurance companies do to motorists. Apparently new bonnet, windscreen and info screen inside the car. I would argue that the bonnet could have been repaired, and also the dash covering looked fine to me. hey ho, i'm not paying, just glad to have my own car back again. Not that i actually had it for long anyhow. I'm curious as to where the dash cam footage will lead, as the OB, and insurers have footage, tho obviously not my fault, where does that leave the lorry driver??

7 hours ago, The Realist said:

I'm curious as to where the dash cam footage will lead, as the OB, and insurers have footage, tho obviously not my fault, where does that leave the lorry driver??

With the dash cam evidence pointing in the direction of fault lying with the other vehicle your insurers will be chasing the insurance company which covers the lorry to recover costs and the Police may report the lorry driver for prosecution....I certainly know that up here when I was in that it was an offence to drive a vehicle with an unsafe load ie: anything coming away from the carrying part of the vehicle. There will be some Road Traffic offence to cover what happened.