• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Normski

Plastic in our Oceans

As much as I sympathise with how such unnecessary debris affects ocean life and its inhabitants when I see videos/pictures such as this I must admit I'm very sceptical about the scenes and think they may have been set up to get a point across. How does such an amount arrive at the one point. Irrespective of whether the scene has been set up or not, how does plastics end up in the oceans. When I've watched reports of this I don't recall anyone giving a suggestion for how it came to be, just the fact that we must stop using plastic. Such amounts cannot surely be due to individuals discarding bottles or whatever in the oceans or have they been discarded in bulk by some unscrupulous businesses. Has a %age been dumped at sea from boats, liners etc. I have never heard of any investigation as how the plastics came to be in the ocean & that's something I would like to hear of. It is not plastics that are the problem....it's the irresponsible idiots who dispose of them wrongly.

37 minutes ago, Harold said:

As much as I sympathise with how such unnecessary debris affects ocean life and its inhabitants when I see videos/pictures such as this I must admit I'm very sceptical about the scenes and think they may have been set up to get a point across. How does such an amount arrive at the one point. Irrespective of whether the scene has been set up or not, how does plastics end up in the oceans. When I've watched reports of this I don't recall anyone giving a suggestion for how it came to be, just the fact that we must stop using plastic. Such amounts cannot surely be due to individuals discarding bottles or whatever in the oceans or have they been discarded in bulk by some unscrupulous businesses. Has a %age been dumped at sea from boats, liners etc. I have never heard of any investigation as how the plastics came to be in the ocean & that's something I would like to hear of. It is not plastics that are the problem....it's the irresponsible idiots who dispose of them wrongly.

There is an area known as North Pacific Gyre which seems to have become the collection point for most of the plastic. It's a sickening sight.

You are correct in condemning those who dump this litter. Plastics became a boon and almost a necessity, but unfortunately we have not yet learned how to properly use them.

Governments, both local and national, need to implement measures to eradicate this blight. Offenders must be made to pay, both in money and effort to clean up this mess. The anti-litter laws which were introduced in the UK in the 60s and 70s have proven totally ineffective; these have to be strengthened and also implemented on a world wide scale.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

but unfortunately we have not yet learned how to properly use them.

Out of curiosity Hairy I googled this....quite informative regards the recycling and uses...

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/01/31/what-happens-to-all-that-plastic/

Was walking along the West Coast the other week. Stunning area but like Normski says the amount of plastic you see is sickening. 

Harold... I thought much of it was discarded from shipping.