My Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Scot

They don't make them like they used to!

1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

I'm sure Harold will agree with the title of this thread.

One in five police officers in UK suffer from PTSD

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/09/one-in-five-police-officers-in-uk-suffer-from-ptsd-study-finds

Back in the day though, whats the worst you had? Someone pinching flowers or a car. These days some see some awful things, terror attacks where they have to watch the videos online or actually be there when it happens or in the aftermath. I wish it was back in the day when the UK was a nicer place, do you remember cop cards? I used to always see bobby's on the beat and they used to give out cop cards. 

19 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Back in the day though, whats the worst you had? Someone pinching flowers or a car. These days some see some awful things, terror attacks where they have to watch the videos online or actually be there when it happens or in the aftermath. I wish it was back in the day when the UK was a nicer place, do you remember cop cards? I used to always see bobby's on the beat and they used to give out cop cards. 

I agree,peelers are restricted in what they can do today whilst dealing with knife crime,terror attacks,acid attacks

Imo mainland peelers should be armed,imagine staring at a machete gang with a fucking taser

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

I'm sure Harold will agree with the title of this thread.

Actually it's not that simple in my experience Hairy. I'll explain why.

47 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Back in the day though, whats the worst you had? Someone pinching flowers or a car.

Absolutely not. With all due respect mate that is quite a derogatory and insensitive comment to make.

About 7 or so years before I was retired on ill health me and my mate were nightshift and were sent to this house due to complaints about the high volume of a record player. On entering the house it was obvious we were dealing with a drunk obnoxious cunt. He was warned to turn the volume down & if we had to return he would be charged. He turned it down but as we walked back to our van he emerged from his house effing and blinding at us which caused a few neighbours to appear and see what was going on. Fuck this we said and ran back to his house at which point he ran like fuck into the house but we caught him in the lounge. He was resisting arrest and pushed me to the floor. As I fell I put out my hands to break the fall but the cunt had left a glass whisky tumbler on the floor and it sliced open and embedded itself in my right hand before breaking so I was left with a large chunk of glass stuck in a huge gaping wound in my hand with blood spewing everywhere. Cut a long story short....my mate managed to arrest & cuff the cunt and got me to the hospital. Ended up I had damaged tendons and nerves in my right hand. I have a very large scar in my hand extending up past my wrist and my hand is partially disabled to this day. I was off work for 3-4 months but returned but tbh a lot of confidence had gone awol from me. I managed to get along but about a year before I finished I was trying to arrest someone and he grabbed my bad hand and twisted my right thumb into a position it really shouldn't go due to my injury and I suffered severe pain. And not long after that me & a mate were at the end of cunts throwing tumblers and bottles at us in a club car park. I just came to the conclusion that I no longer had the resolve to continue and went off sick. I was eventually retired on ill health due to PTSD and eventually was diagnosed as suffering from depression.

So as I said at the start...it really isn't that simple.

Also must say....there were a lot a tough flowers back in the day....see they daffodils....hard as fuck.

12 minutes ago, Harold said:

Absolutely not. With all due respect mate that is quite a derogatory and insensitive comment to make.

About 7 or so years before I was retired on ill health me and my mate were nightshift and were sent to this house due to complaints about the high volume of a record player. On entering the house it was obvious we were dealing with a drunk obnoxious cunt. He was warned to turn the volume down & if we had to return he would be charged. He turned it down but as we walked back to our van he emerged from his house effing and blinding at us which caused a few neighbours to appear and see what was going on. Fuck this we said and ran back to his house at which point he ran like fuck into the house but we caught him in the lounge. He was resisting arrest and pushed me to the floor. As I fell I put out my hands to break the fall but the cunt had left a glass whisky tumbler on the floor and it sliced open and embedded itself in my right hand before breaking so I was left with a large chunk of glass stuck in a huge gaping wound in my hand with blood spewing everywhere. Cut a long story short....my mate managed to arrest & cuff the cunt and got me to the hospital. Ended up I had damaged tendons and nerves in my right hand. I have a very large scar in my hand extending up past my wrist and my hand is partially disabled to this day. I was off work for 3-4 months but returned but tbh a lot of confidence had gone awol from me. I managed to get along but about a year before I finished I was trying to arrest someone and he grabbed my bad hand and twisted my right thumb into a position it really shouldn't go due to my injury and I suffered severe pain. And not long after that me & a mate were at the end of cunts throwing tumblers and bottles at us in a club car park. I just came to the conclusion that I no longer had the resolve to continue and went off sick. I was eventually retired on ill health due to PTSD and eventually was diagnosed as suffering from depression.

Also must say....there were a lot a tough flowers back in the day....see they daffodils....hard as fuck.

I experienced a number of incidents which left me, injured in some cases, but certainly horrified, sickened, and pretty much fucked up in the short term, but there were no long term side effects, and certainly nothing that could be termed PTSD.

Maybe I was just lucky.

What would get me, would be dealing with cunts bad to their own kids, and leaving them there, or road accidents....

It would be a stressful job,  folk have all sorts of triggers, so it's maybe unfair to judge, 

I work 9/5 Monday- Friday and I'm mostly a contentedly sunny happy person,  but, who knows what shit these folk witness, often with hands tied behind their back.....

I don't think life is getting easier as society evolves.....

17 minutes ago, Bastion said:

who knows what shit these folk witness,

Had to deal with a fatal road accident, strip and clean the deceased whose head was almost decapitated held on only by skin. Had to deal with a shotgun suicide, guy had blown half his face and head off. And in both these incident I had to deal with their family. Aint easy mate. Just a couple of shitty examples. These had no bearing on being retired but as years went on more and more violence against you was what basically affected me due to my injury.

2 hours ago, Harold said:

I wouldn't say it was derogatory and incentive, well if you thought it was then I apologies. I obviously haven't got a clue and my first reply was just what I spouted out of my brain, so not a lot of thought went into it. I just think the police back in the day was like the program "Heartbeat" :) 

32 minutes ago, Harold said:

Had to deal with a fatal road accident, strip and clean the deceased whose head was almost decapitated held on only by skin. Had to deal with a shotgun suicide, guy had blown half his face and head off. And in both these incident I had to deal with their family. Aint easy mate. Just a couple of shitty examples. These had no bearing on being retired but as years went on more and more violence against you was what basically affected me due to my injury.

Fuck that, I could not do the job of a police man/woman/thing/unspecified. Too much shit to fuck with your head!!!

15 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

well if you thought it was then I apologies. I obviously haven't got a clue and my first reply was just what I spouted out of my brain, so not a lot of thought went into it

Fair enough.

15 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I just think the police back in the day was like the program "Heartbeat" :) 

If only. What you have to realise that as society goes forward and changes so do peoples attitudes. Heartbeat was in the 60's, I worked 1977-1992, and nowadays I would say it is much worse.

5 hours ago, boro_boy said:

Back in the day though, whats the worst you had? Someone pinching flowers or a car. 

You've been watching too many episodes of Heartbeat mate!

35 minutes ago, Roger said:

You've been watching too many episodes of Heartbeat mate!

when all crooks were like Claude Greengrass.....:flashing-lol: