• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Scot

Angus Macfadyen jumps into hot water

17 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Care to expand on that?

I was of the opinion that I had explained it clearly enough in previous posts.

2 minutes ago, Harold said:

I was of the opinion that I had explained it clearly enough in previous posts.

Not really,

You seem to believe that the PM is omnipotent, and that is far from the case.

However if there is documentary evidence to the contrary then I'd like to see it, as would about 50 million others.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

You seem to believe that the PM is omnipotent, and that is far from the case.

No I don't. Perhaps you have missed the part (s) where I said ...in this particular instance.

18 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

However if there is documentary evidence to the contrary then I'd like to see it

The Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013, setting out the arrangements for the referendum, was passed by the Scottish Parliament in November 2013, following an agreement between the devolved Scottish government and the Government of the United Kingdom

19 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

as would about 50 million others.

Didn't realise the forum had so many members.

The Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013, setting out the arrangements for the referendum, was passed by the Scottish Parliament in November 2013, following an agreement between the devolved Scottish government and the Government of the United Kingdom

I had no idea that this discussion was confined to Scottish Independence.

While that was the initial base of the article I quoted in the OP, the discussion had moved to the powers of the PM.

The Acts you quote are relevant only Scottish Independence, they do not define the powers of the Prime Minister, and in common with many Acts of Parliament they can be amended or refuted by subsequent Acts of Parliament.

11 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I had no idea that this discussion was confined to Scottish Independence.

Well you started the thread with a situation regards a Separation Referendum did you not ?

13 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

While that was the initial base of the article I quoted in the OP, the discussion had moved to the powers of the PM.

And I answered constantly that what I was commenting on was confined to a Separation referendum.

14 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

The Acts you quote are relevant only Scottish Independence,

correct....because that is what I was constantly talking about.

15 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

they do not define the powers of the Prime Minister, and in common with many Acts of Parliament they can be amended or refuted by subsequent Acts of Parliament.

That has nothing to do with the detail of what I was talking about.

Well you started the thread with a situation regards a Separation Referendum did you not ?

And I answered constantly that what I was commenting on was confined to a Separation referendum.

correct....because that is what I was constantly talking about.

That has nothing to do with the detail of what I was talking about.

I started the thread about statements by two men suffering from foot in mouth disease.

Unfortunately as soon as any mention of Scottish Independence arises you go off on a rant.

My whole point was that Sadiq Khan, whether or not gets to be Prime Minister, cannot make unilateral decisions, and that MacFadyen was whistling through his arse.

If a subsequent administration decides to permit a second referendum on Scottish Independence or even Brexit then any Act passed in the past becomes irrelevant regardless of what you or I might feel about it.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Unfortunately as soon as any mention of Scottish Independence arises you go off on a rant.

Show me where I ranted ? I merely posted my points answering yours.

25 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

If a subsequent administration decides to permit a second referendum on Scottish Independence  then any Act passed in the past becomes irrelevant regardless of what you or I might feel about it.

What would be required is a Section 30 (Scotland Act 1998) order to be submitted by the Scottish Executive to the UK Government to be approved or otherwise so said legislation is not irrelevant. Certainly if it was approved I would presume that 'another' legally binding document akin to the Edinburgh Agreement (for the 1st separation ref) would be required.

Posted (edited)

Let's just be clear about this:-

The opening post was about two men making foolish and potentially inflammatory statements.

Although those statements related to Indyref2, it was not my intent to kick off a discussion on that topic.

All along I have maintained that Sadiq Khan has over estimated the powers he will have if he ever gets to be Prime Minister of the UK.

AFAIK that while the PM does have extensive powers, the holder of the office cannot operate without the support of The Cabinet and of Parliament. So if Khan ever gets to be PM he will not be in the position to be sole arbiter on Indyref, Brexit, or any other matter relating to the running of the UK.

WRT Indyref and Brexit; any subsequent administration can modify or nullify any Acts of Parliament relating to those matters by means of a simple majority vote in Parliament.

Edited by Hairy Scot

53 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

The opening post was about two men making foolish and potentially inflammatory statements.

Although those statements related to Indyref2, it was not my intent to kick off a discussion on that topic.

Is that not what an OP is about....to discuss/debate said topic?

55 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

All along I have maintained that Sadiq Khan has over estimated the powers he will have if he ever gets to be Prime Minister of the UK.

Khan is the weasel Mayor of London mate....you'll be meaning Sajid Javid.

58 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

So if Khan ever gets to be PM he will not be in the position to be sole arbiter on Indyref,

As I maintained constantly on this thread I am referring solely to another separation referendum. On the particular matter of permitting another Scottish separation referendum then he (Javid) can. It has nothing to do with Parliament. For any other facet of UK politics that is a completely different debate and as has been shown with Brexit, of course Parliament has been involved.

If you have or can find anything which contradicts that (regards Scottish separation referendums) then feel free to post it Hairy because I am not repeating myself again mate.

Just now, Harold said:

Is that not what an OP is about....to discuss/debate said topic?

Khan is the weasel Mayor of London mate....you'll be meaning Sajid Javid.

As I maintained constantly on this thread I am referring solely to another separation referendum. On the particular matter of permitting another Scottish separation referendum then he (Javid) can. It has nothing to do with Parliament. For any other facet of UK politics that is a completely different debate and as has been shown with Brexit, of course Parliament has been involved.

If you have or can find anything which contradicts that (regards Scottish separation referendums) then feel free to post it Hairy because I am not repeating myself again mate.

???

Posted (edited)

Yes, I have mixed up Sajid Javid and Sadiq Khan. They all look and sound the same to me. :mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon:

However I stand by my opinions on the powers invested in the Prime Minister of the UK and on the possibility of future Parliaments reversing decisions of previous Parliaments.

I have no opinion on whether or not a second Indyref or a second Brexitref is warranted, possible, or justified. To be honest I don't give a fuck.

I am however concerned that people seem to view the position of PM as something akin to a dictator.

Finally: I was just amused at the reactions on social media to the statements made by MacFadyen and Javid, and that was the reason for my post.

Edited by Hairy Scot

We're going round in circles here. Tbh I can't be arsed repeating myself as you are not taking in what I've said. I'm out.

TBH, I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect neither do you.

You have totally missed the point of my post.

You latched onto the Indyref bit and climbed onto your hobby horse.

Perhaps if you conceded that not everyone who does not share your views or who wishes an independent Scotland is some kind of cretinous numbskull then many misunderstandings would be avoided.

4 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

TBH, I don't know what you're talking about

Obviously but I made myself clearer than Waterford crystal so I don't understand your brain block.

and I suspect neither do you.

:flashing-lol:

You have totally missed the point of my post.

I'm not repeating myself

You latched onto the Indyref bit and climbed onto your hobby horse.

That was what the OP was about ffs!

Perhaps if you conceded that not everyone who does not share your views or who wishes an independent Scotland is some kind of cretinous numbskull then many misunderstandings would be avoided.

This debate (?) has nothing to do with anyone outwith the forum. It was between you and me.