Sign in to follow this  
The Realist

Retirement!

I'm nearly there. Have a week off this week due to the building work starting on my land. Next week, 4 days a week til end of August,then by the month dropping to3,2,then 1. Retire in November,aged 55. Not sure how i,m gonna take to it, as i have worked since the day i left school, tho have never wanted to work til just before i literally die. Time will tell.Glad i have always thought of the future even as a youngster, and am able to be in this position financially tho.

Would like to rent a motorhome, spend a month or so touring Scotland, then if  I/we(MrsSA) enjoy it, maybe buy our own, and have the freedom to tour where and when we like,there's a lot of Europe i havent seen.

I will technically.retire.in 2027 ages 46 but.ill get a job. I've just extended by 5 years which will give me a lovely pay off and a nice.monthly pension. I wont retire though, I'll just get.a shitty job, well that depends what type of house the missus wants, she eventually wants to live.in the countryside in a small holding. I'd povemit, bit its going to be expensive. 

21 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I will technically.retire.in 2027 ages 46 but.ill get a job. I've just extended by 5 years which will give me a lovely pay off and a nice.monthly pension. I wont retire though, I'll just get.a shitty job, well that depends what type of house the missus wants, she eventually wants to live.in the countryside in a small holding. I'd povemit, bit its going to be expensive. 

I am sort of semi retired. I work three shifts a week. I could finish in three years, but think I will go on until I am 60.

Four days off a week plus a week off on every 6th week gives me more than enough leisure time.

The wife and I plan to ride our motorbikes from the top of Scotland to the tip of Cornwall one day. You see so much more on a motorbike.

5 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I will technically.retire.in 2027 ages 46 but.ill get a job. I've just extended by 5 years which will give me a lovely pay off and a nice.monthly pension. I wont retire though, I'll just get.a shitty job, well that depends what type of house the missus wants, she eventually wants to live.in the countryside in a small holding. I'd povemit , bit its going to be expensive. 

An advantage of being in the forces is the pension.I got properly out of the city last year moving properly into the countryside, i feckin love it fella.Quality of life is so much better, and all those nice country pubs i used to drive miles to, to get a proper chef cooked meal, rather than a chain pub surround me now. Farm shop food tastes so much better than Asda etc type stuff, eggs still warm covered in shit and feathers.People so much nicer, no crime. Tho not really lived in Birmingham for many a year, lived on the outskirts, so called posher parts, get in the car drive a mile down the road, and it's a shithole. When i go into Brum now, i find it really horrible. You would feel the same in a very short time.

9 minutes ago, The Guv'nor said:

You see so much more on a motorbike.

Totally disagree there, not only with the helmet etc, but driving/riding any vehicle you don't get to see much, due to your attention being on the road. Being a passenger or on public transport, coach/train is when you can really look around and see things you would never see when in control of a vehicle of any sort.

10 hours ago, The Realist said:

I'm nearly there. Have a week off this week due to the building work starting on my land. Next week, 4 days a week til end of August,then by the month dropping to3,2,then 1. Retire in November,aged 55. Not sure how i,m gonna take to it, as i have worked since the day i left school, tho have never wanted to work til just before i literally die. Time will tell.Glad i have always thought of the future even as a youngster, and am able to be in this position financially tho.

Would like to rent a motorhome, spend a month or so touring Scotland, then if  I/we(MrsSA) enjoy it, maybe buy our own, and have the freedom to tour where and when we like,there's a lot of Europe i havent seen.

Excellent news. You'll enjoy it as you have the time to do what you want when you want. If a person can financially afford to do then they should, in order to have a better quality of life in their later years rather than fuck themselves having to get up every day.

On 13/06/2019 at 08:13, Harold said:

Excellent news. You'll enjoy it as you have the time to do what you want when you want. If a person can financially afford to do then they should, in order to have a better quality of life in their later years rather than fuck themselves having to get up every day.

It's not really going to plan fella. I have had an offer from JLR, to work in a consultancy role which is just to good to turn down. I would be working on a self employed basis, which equates to silly money. tho i am only gonna be working 1 day a week in my current roll in a phased retirement i feel this offer is just too good to turn down, and it's not gonna be a regular 9-5 roll either, more a case of reading over lots of proposed ideas, turning up at meeting's giving my opinion and alternatives on proposed ideas, costing ETC. Minimum of £2k per day, tho it would only be a max of 3 days per week, It's a 3 year deal.

17 hours ago, The Realist said:

It's not really going to plan fella. I have had an offer from JLR, to work in a consultancy role which is just to good to turn down. I would be working on a self employed basis, which equates to silly money. tho i am only gonna be working 1 day a week in my current roll in a phased retirement i feel this offer is just too good to turn down, and it's not gonna be a regular 9-5 roll either, more a case of reading over lots of proposed ideas, turning up at meeting's giving my opinion and alternatives on proposed ideas, costing ETC. Minimum of £2k per day, tho it would only be a max of 3 days per week, It's a 3 year deal.

If you feel it's going to benefit you and you're willing to undertake it, especially with the remuneration you mention, then go for it as long as your family are backing you.