Cyclist faces bankruptcy after he is forced to pay £100k in court costs

boro_boy

• Administrator

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7166305/Cyclist-Robert-Hazeldean-left-bankrupt-yoga-teacher-Gemma-Brushett-knocked-London.html

• Gemma Brushett, 28, successfully sued Robert Hazeldean after London crash
  • Yoga expert stepped out into the road while staring at her mobile in July 2015  
  • But judge ruled 'cyclists must be prepared for people to behave unexpectedly'
  • Mr Hazeldean failed to make a counter claim, which means he foots legal bill 
  • Despite moving to France to start again he says verdict has 'cast shadow' on him

What the actual FUCK!!!!! Are these judges on crack ore similar!

How can the Cyclist be at fault wheh the women stepped out into the road whilst starring at her phone!!! FFS, our country is fucked.

Its fucked and i'm loving being away from it! 41 days until i'm back in the shit hole that is the UK. 

• Administrator

They say the cyclist didn't have insurance, so in that case, did the woman have insurance to walk on the road? FFS she's clearmy at fault, I fucking hate people who have no spacial  awareness, they are just waiting to die, it would be better to just fucking shoot them before they cause any problems!!! 

I fail to comprehend how someone who is totally to blame imo can reap a reward. This is another instance of how perverted British justice can be. Then for her to escape being liable for any of the costs is quite simply astonishing. As much as I find some cyclists a pain in the arse at times I really sorry for this guy and he has been hard done to.

31 minutes ago, The Realist said:

No sympathy from me.

even though the pedestrian was, in the eyes of the most impartial observer, to blame ? It was nothing to do with the cyclist & all to do with the unobservant, not bothering their arse pedestrian!

8 minutes ago, Harold said:

even though the pedestrian was, in the eyes of the most impartial observer, to blame ? It was nothing to do with the cyclist & all to do with the unobservant, not bothering their arse pedestrian!

Even more reason for him to put in a counterclaim,which he chose not to bother doing.

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Even more reason for him to put in a counterclaim,which he chose not to bother doing.

but why should that condemn him for an incident which is clearly not his fault? Is not the essence of justice that those who are in the wrong should be held liable as to guilt ? This is down to the flawed interpretation of the judge in question where he said that 'cyclists' should be prepared for people to behave in unexpected ways' ? What a load of fucking waffle. Nothing said about the pedestrian should be observant prior to stepping onto highway especially when NOT being observant! Green Cross Code ?

Mr Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his bike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking in a bid to avoid Ms Brushett - but ploughed into her at up to 15mph, Central London's County Court heard this week.

So he had the time and alertness to honk a horn shout swerve and break at 15MPH,  yet he still managed to hit her, and seriously we are to believe there was no fault on his part FFS????.

I am very bitter towards cyclists after one hit my old PA and her new born baby on a Zebra crossing, apparently doing over 10MPH more than the legal limit for cars, resulting in her suffering serious head injuries resulting in her losing all sense of taste, and smell, She received £170k in compensation, the cyclist literally got off scot free. Cyclists are a big menace on our roads, who somehow feel the rules of the road don't apply to them.

A recent one day police operation to crackdown on cyclists in London resulted in over 5000 cyclists being fined for going through red lights by midday, FFS.

IMO if they wanna use the roads, they should have to pass some sort of test, and be insured.

Bear in mind that is my opinion, which by all accounts i am free to express.

• Administrator

We need more cycle paths. The Netherlands have this sorted as do Germany. We lag behind so much. You are right about him having all the time.ti honk his horn and should but not to brake.

42 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

We need more cycle paths. The Netherlands have this sorted as do Germany. We lag behind so much. You are right about him having all the time.ti honk his horn and should but not to brake.

Still the stupid bitches fault for stepping out and not paying attention.

No sympathy from me. 

9 hours ago, The Realist said:

So he had the time and alertness to honk a horn shout swerve and break at 15MPH,  yet he still managed to hit her,

Eh, but by taking these actions is that not actually being responsible & as far as I am aware the speed limit also applies to cyclists so if he was within it there's no problem. As for 'he still managed to hit her'....we aren't aware of any actions (if any) that the stupid bint, who walked onto the road not paying attention remember, took.

10 hours ago, The Realist said:

Bear in mind that is my opinion, which by all accounts i am free to express.

Of course you are but why you chose to make such a statement in that manner is baffling. And I have the same privilege re opinion, doesn't mean to say I have to agree with you.

10 hours ago, The Realist said:

I am very bitter towards cyclists

Understandable after what you posted but because that person did what he did should not give way to condemn all cyclists.

• Administrator

When i'm cycling i'm always very careful when there are a lot of pedestrians out and about. The majority of them are on their phones and don't have a clue about their surroundings but at the end of the day, its the cyclist who will cause the damage so i'm sure they are always going to be the one at fault, no matter how stupid people are, they have to be careful when cycling around them. He obviously seen the woman and he should have slowed down. But I still think the woman is at fault 100%. Its a tricky one!

If you driving a car and a kid runs onto the road, you don't just beep your horn, you slow down too!

4 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

If you driving a car and a kid runs onto the road, you don't just beep your horn, you slow down too!

And how do you slow down in these circumstances ? You brake.

And as has been reported, the cyclist did that very thing.

had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his bike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking.

7 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

its the cyclist who will cause the damage so i'm sure they are always going to be the one at fault, no matter how stupid people are,

But why ? Why should an innocent party be held accountable for the irresponsible behaviour of another ? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Harold said:

And how do you slow down in these circumstances ? You brake.

And as has been reported, the cyclist did that very thing.

had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his bike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking.

But why ? Why should an innocent party be held accountable for the irresponsible behaviour of another ? 

Because the Cyclist is the one who will cause a lot of damage to a Human. You get on a bike and you take that responsibility. I'm a cyclist, not one that goes on roads much, but on the hills. If there are hazards you slow down as you expect the unexpected. Yes it was her fault, but he still has responsibility.

I might actually read the story haha:facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon:

3 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

but he still has responsibility.

What else could he have done then ?.....that is my point. He was aware that she walked onto the road so he reacted in the ways that were available....shouted, sounded his horn, swerved and braked....whilst she was on a phone. For the life of me I just cannot understand where ANY of responsibilty should be placed upon his shoulders.