jezza

The Twelfth

2 hours ago, Harold said:

I seen a video yesterday of a huge pallet bonfire being pulled down officially....Police were in attendance in case of any trouble. Problem was....whoever was responsible for building it had filled the inside of the structure with hundreds of tyres and from what I've heard this is totally illegal. If that's the case why the fuck did they build it that was knowing there was a chance that it would be pulled down ?

Idiots.....

Some parts of Belfast seem to have these idiots making decisions on where Bonfires go up, ..... honestly,  you wouldn't believe where some are put......

45 minutes ago, Normski said:

IMG_20190708_172859.thumb.jpg.4983d4e60b9c1fbc0ca69cd0bb17b87b.jpg

Reminds my of The Cross Community project a few years back, When Old Ginger helped light the Bonfires of the Shankill........

I was raised as a Presbyterian, and maybe I'm being obtuse, but I have never understood why the Orange Order and its adherents attach so much importance to the anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne (aka The Twelfth).
In historical terms it was just another minor battle; in religious terms it meant nothing; yet a whole culture has been built around it.

2 hours ago, Harold said:

Where do all the pallets come from....donated or what ?

Fuck knows.....that looks impressive, but will burn out to a few hours.....

Ballywalter is on the rocks at the shore, it's a traditional bonfire, Settee's Wardrobes, doors etc...... it will burn for 2 weeks and stick two fingers up to the Tide.........

Here's how the build the showpony above.....

Screenshot_20190703-204546_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

I was raised as a Presbyterian, and maybe I'm being obtuse, but I have never understood why the Orange Order and its adherents attach so much importance to the anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne (aka The Twelfth).
In historical terms it was just another minor battle; in religious terms it meant nothing; yet a whole culture has been built around it.

We just like to remember stuff...... the country looks like a big beautiful protestant Christmas tree at the minute.....

Flegs, Bunting and bonys all over the place.......

Just to remind folk, like a thorn in the side, we exist.......

9 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Fuck knows.....that looks impressive, but will burn out to a few hours.....

Ballywalter is on the rocks at the shore, it's a traditional bonfire, Settee's Wardrobes, doors etc...... it will burn for 2 weeks and stick two fingers up to the Tide.........

Here's how the build the showpony above.....

Screenshot_20190703-204546_Samsung Internet.jpg

We just like to remember stuff...... the country looks like a big beautiful protestant Christmas tree at the minute.....

Flegs, Bunting and bonys all over the place.......

Just to remind folk, like a thorn in the side, we exist.......

I didn't say I had any objection to it. It just doesn't strike me as being all that important.

1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

I didn't say I had any objection to it. It just doesn't strike me as being all that important.

To be fair,  a sense of Britishness isn't important to you, so why would it......

37 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

but is it Britishness?

Is what British? How we feel?..... I would say most celebrating it, would be British and feel British.......

It's that,  that sets us apart from the Irish Nationals......

Scratch the surface of people and the sectarianism comes rolling out at this time of year. We are judged by our names, whether we are religious or not. Its fucking embarrassing to be honest.

Why cant a "celebration" be just that, without trying to antagonise or intimate someone else

12 minutes ago, jezza said:

Scratch the surface of people and the sectarianism comes rolling out at this time of year. We are judged by our names, whether we are religious or not. Its fucking embarrassing to be honest.

Why cant a "celebration" be just that, without trying to antagonise or intimate someone else

What do you find sectarian and antagonistic Jezza ?

1 minute ago, Harold said:

What do you find sectarian and antagonistic Jezza ?

Last bonfire I went to, the only integrated school here's uniform was burnt and the tie put at the top. For the craic. Some will find that funny, because as a nation we are backwards.

5 minutes ago, jezza said:

the only integrated school here's uniform was burnt and the tie put at the top

I wouldn't claim to understand why an 'integrated' school uniform was burnt....seems idiotic to me.

7 minutes ago, jezza said:

because as a nation we are backwards.

I'll let our other Ulster members reply to that as they have a far far better insight than me.

33 minutes ago, jezza said:

Exactly mate, just accept us, everything will be grand matie......

10 minutes ago, jezza said:

Last bonfire I went to, the only integrated school here's uniform was burnt and the tie put at the top. For the craic. Some will find that funny, because as a nation we are backwards.

Only?..... which one where you at? Bonfire, and which school?

9 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Exactly mate, just accept us, everything will be grand matie......

Only?..... which one where you at? Bonfire, and which school?

Accept what exactly?

Does it matter where I seen it, and dont lie that you havent seen anything similar if you've been to a bonfire.

17 minutes ago, jezza said:

Accept what exactly?

Does it matter where I seen it, and dont lie that you havent seen anything similar if you've been to a bonfire.

Accept diversity......

Easy enough question,  which Bonfire where you at and which School tie was involved in it's make-up?

31 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Accept diversity......

Easy enough question,  which Bonfire where you at and which School tie was involved in it's make-up?

Diversity, thats a good one.

Think about how many integrated schools there are in Northern Ireland. Then pick the bonfire. I dont have an agenda, I say what I've seen.