2 hours ago, Harold said:

Steve Smith. Lyons also could be in with a shout but I think it will be Smith.

It had to be Steve ‘bad watch’ Smith.

If England don’t find a way of getting him out the series is over. He is that good!

22 minutes ago, No.8 said:

It had to be Steve ‘bad watch’ Smith.

If England don’t find a way of getting him out the series is over. He is that good!

I think Jofra Archer and a few 95 mph deliveries will give him more to think about at Lord's.

The Aussies do have a good record there though. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Jofra Archer

Is he coming in instead of Anderson or will they both be playing ?

Tell you what has really pissed me off during this first Test. The remarks from the commentators regards wrong decisions by the umpires. As it happens those decisions which were overturned as being incorrect were only overturned due to Ultra technology. From the human eye, these decisions looked correct (and I'm talking about ones that were overturned by DRS AND ones that were not reviewed but then shown to be actually OUT) and I defy anyone to say that the umpires were wrong on first viewing with their eyes. Like football numerous replays are fine for 2nd/3rd opinions but they are, imo, detrimental towards the umpires! Wonder what Dickie Bird or Billy Bowden would have thought about that!

13 minutes ago, Harold said:

Is he coming in instead of Anderson or will they both be playing ?

Tell you what has really pissed me off during this first Test. The remarks from the commentators regards wrong decisions by the umpires. As it happens those decisions which were overturned as being incorrect were only overturned due to Ultra technology. From the human eye, these decisions looked correct (and I'm talking about ones that were overturned by DRS AND ones that were not reviewed but then shown to be actually OUT) and I defy anyone to say that the umpires were wrong on first viewing with their eyes. Like football numerous replays are fine for 2nd/3rd opinions but they are, imo, detrimental towards the umpires! Wonder what Dickie Bird or Billy Bowden would have thought about that!

Yes, it is easy to find fault when you have the benefit of technology. 

Anderson won't play it will be a straight swap. 

4 hours ago, Harold said:

Cummins takes out Woakes. England all out. Australia win the first Ashes Test.

I

Oh dear!

What a pity.

Never mind.

Oz certainly looks to be the superior outfit at test match level.
It's perhaps a pity that the World Cup(s) is(are) limited to the shorter forms of the game.
Mind you, a world cup of 3-5 day matches would perhaps be impractical.

Edited by Hairy Scot

Jason Roy isn't a test batsman (or batter as the pc brigade want them known) Anyone with even an average knowledge of cricket can see this. 

Until England pick a good county opener in four day games (ie Burns) then they will lose a quick wicket and expose Root and possibly Denly to the new ball.

Dominic Sibley of Warwickshire has a good county average and temperament. The selectors however, seem content on doddering along with Roy. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Jason Roy isn't a test batsman (or batter as the pc brigade want them known) Anyone with even an average knowledge of cricket can see this. 

Until England pick a good county opener in four day games (ie Burns) then they will lose a quick wicket and expose Root and possibly Denly to the new ball.

Dominic Sibley of Warwickshire has a good county average and temperament. The selectors however, seem content on doddering along with Roy. 

I was most annoyed last year when I heard a commentator refer to a fielder as a "fieldsman".
I thought, batsman, fieldsman, bowlsman?
Let's stick with batter, fielder, bowler. It's simpler.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I was most annoyed last year when I heard a commentator refer to a fielder as a "fieldsman".
I thought, batsman, fieldsman, bowlsman?

Batter is something you put round fish. 

Batsman sounds better.

noun

a player, especially in cricket, who is batting or whose chief skill is in batting.

Edited by Mr Magnificent

5 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

why let simpler get in the way of New World Order as we don't know it. History is being altered, grammar and vocabulary is being altered....the up and coming generation don't give a fuck as to how it has always been done....they are a selfish crew!