Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Scot

Eligibility for national teams

We may well have covered this before, but the presence of the Vunipola brothers in the England rugby team once again highlights the nonsense.
Two men born of Tongan patents, one in Australia, one in New Zealand, qualify on the basis of residence in England. Do they have British citizenship or British passports?

18 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

We may well have covered this before, but the presence of the Vunipola brothers in the England rugby team once again highlights the nonsense.
Two men born of Tongan patents, one in Australia, one in New Zealand, qualify on the basis of residence in England. Do they have British citizenship or British passports?

Tbh Hairy I believe eligibility is so convoluted nowadays it can be difficult to a degree as to understanding the complete basis for it. (Having said that, the late, great Di Stefano played international football for three countries....Argentina, where he was born, Columbia & Spain where he gained citizenship). Nowadays it can be covered via Parents or grandparents birth country. There is also underlying factors about youngsters if they are chosen at under 18 or 21 or whatever they can play at senior level for a different country if they haven't already played for them at that level. I honestly cannot (and have no desire to) keep up with how it grows arms and legs. I don't know if International rugby is the same. My own opinion is that a player should only play in the country of his birth with one exception....EG if a Scottish person was born abroad whilst parents were on holiday or parent/s are in the services and based abroad....you get my drift I hope.

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

How many foreigners were in that Japan team?

It'a all getting a bit over the top, i agree with dug

"My own opinion is that a player should only play in the country of his birth with one exception....EG if a Scottish person was born abroad whilst parents were on holiday or parent/s are in the services and based abroad....you get my drift I hope".

8 hours ago, Harold said:

Tbh Hairy I believe eligibility is so convoluted nowadays it can be difficult to a degree as to understanding the complete basis for it. (Having said that, the late, great Di Stefano played international football for three countries....Argentina, where he was born, Columbia & Spain where he gained citizenship). Nowadays it can be covered via Parents or grandparents birth country. There is also underlying factors about youngsters if they are chosen at under 18 or 21 or whatever they can play at senior level for a different country if they haven't already played for them at that level. I honestly cannot (and have no desire to) keep up with how it grows arms and legs. I don't know if International rugby is the same. My own opinion is that a player should only play in the country of his birth with one exception....EG if a Scottish person was born abroad whilst parents were on holiday or parent/s are in the services and based abroad....you get my drift I hope.

6 hours ago, sployal said:

How many foreigners were in that Japan team?

It'a all getting a bit over the top, i agree with dug

"My own opinion is that a player should only play in the country of his birth with one exception....EG if a Scottish person was born abroad whilst parents were on holiday or parent/s are in the services and based abroad....you get my drift I hope".

An interesting footnote:
To play for the All Blacks, in addition to being citizens, the players must play for a domestic club.

51 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

An interesting footnote:
To play for the All Blacks, in addition to being citizens, the players must play for a domestic club.

As I aid...it becomes more convoluted mate. 

9 hours ago, Harold said:

My own opinion is that a player should only play in the country of his birth with one exception....EG if a Scottish person was born abroad whilst parents were on holiday or parent/s are in the services and based abroad....you get my drift I hope.

100% This.^^^

James McClean played at different levels for Norn Iron,time and money spent on his development only for the cunt to opt for down south.....after the lies he spouted he can fuck right off the bitter cunt

2 hours ago, Normski said:

James McClean played at different levels for Norn Iron,time and money spent on his development only for the cunt to opt for down south.....after the lies he spouted he can fuck right off the bitter cunt

Was it not the oirish who really started this trend  many years ago? They were all shite so went scouring around for any player with oirish grand parents etc, inviting to to play for oirland?  Came to prominence under Jack Charlton i think?, disgusting excuse for a human that he is/was.

2 hours ago, Normski said:

Massive  cunt him.

NZ and OZ have been milking the Pacific Islands for decades.
Any good rugby player from Fiji, Samoa, or Tonga, gets fast tracked through the citizenship process if/when they sign up with ARU/NZRU.
One reason why those countries remain on the lower tiers of World Rugby.

8 hours ago, The Realist said:

Came to prominence under Jack Charlton i think?

That's when I first recall it becoming well known to the footballing public.

9 hours ago, The Realist said:

Was it not the oirish who really started this trend  many years ago? They were all shite so went scouring around for any player with oirish grand parents etc, inviting to to play for oirland?  Came to prominence under Jack Charlton i think?, disgusting excuse for a human that he is/was.

Massive  cunt him.

Oh yeh , why dont you blame us for starting both world wars while you're at it ,and  aids climate change ? and do yourself a favour , look up all the England players born abroad , Luther Blisset , Raheem Sterling , John Barnes , Graham LE Saux  and  plenty more. James McLean has more guts to do what he does than all the other wimps . Do you really think every other player in England would wear the Poppy if they had a choice ?

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Oh yeh , why dont you blame us for starting both world wars while you're at it ,and  aids climate change ? and do yourself a favour , look up all the England players born abroad , Luther Blisset , Raheem Sterling , John Barnes , Graham LE Saux  and  plenty more. James McLean has more guts to do what he does than all the other wimps . Do you really think every other player in England would wear the Poppy if they had a choice ?

Oh ffs, calm down petal, stop playing the Victim.

Typical Irish victimhood mentality right there.

11 hours ago, The Mexican said:

Oh ffs, calm down petal, stop playing the Victim.

Typical Irish victimhood mentality right there.

Would you like to join the debate in this thread with a counter argument or are you just going to take  cheap shots ?

Edited by DOC

Just now, DOC said:

Would you like to join the debate in this thread with a counter argument or are you just going to try cheap shots ?

Debate? You asked, why don't you blame us for climate change or starting 2 world wars, 

There is no debating with an idiot like that, you argue with a fool, you look like a fool.

If 'You' want a debate, put in something sensible to start with.

2 minutes ago, The Mexican said:

Debate? You asked, why don't you blame us for climate change or starting 2 world wars, 

There is no debating with an idiot like that, you argue with a fool, you look like a fool.

I love your sombrero and moustache Amigo :banana::flashing-lol:

10 minutes ago, The Mexican said:

Still not debating eh , more cheap insults . If you get away with it on this forum it will be down  to poor moderation.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

Still not debating eh , more cheap insults . If you get away with it on this forum it will be down  to poor moderation.

More Victimhood.

Its Cringeworthy. 

M

1 minute ago, The Mexican said:

More Victimhood.

Its Cringeworthy. 

More capitals in the wrong places.

6 hours ago, sployal said:

Is there any sense of nation or country in International competion and sport today?

I think the rules must be revised.

Back on topic.

Yes, the rules need close scrutiny and revision.

21 hours ago, DOC said:

Wow, I consider myself told.:blob-joy:

7 hours ago, DOC said:

I see only truth in hes comment to be fair.

7 hours ago, DOC said:

M

More capitals in the wrong places.

May i suggest you study your own grammer?.

1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

Back on topic.

Yes, the rules need close scrutiny, and revision.

Agreed, this situation is getting a bit silly. Yet when we have a man born with a penis, who feels like a woman, (and apparently nowadays we must address him/it? as a woman due to political correctness), what's to say in the near future, a player may IE, say i feel like a Spaniard, and thus be deemed to have the right to play for Spain?. It really is all getting a bit silly. I agree with what @Harold said !100%

11 hours ago, The Mexican said:

keep the insults out mate. I've no doubt you can reply without stupid name calling.

10 hours ago, DOC said:

If you get away with it on this forum it will be down  to poor moderation

No need for that Doc....I just logged on this am & have asked the guy to desist. 

1 hour ago, Harold said:

keep the insults out mate. I've no doubt you can reply without stupid name calling.

No need for that Doc....I just logged on this am & have asked the guy to desist. 

No problem Harold., I will find some nice Cactus plants and relax under their shade.