Sign in to follow this  
boro_boy

Is It time to ditch VAR?

ItNP_20191111_SPURS11_5244397.jpg just doesn't work in football. It took the VAR team 3 min and 20 seconds to decline Sheffield United their goal the weekend just gone, that's an absolute joke in my eyes. You can NEVER celebrate a goal anymore as you'll know VAR will be looking into it. Its ruining the game. Surely it will be better to just had the refs mistakes. 

You could say its in its infancy so there are bound to be mistakes. 

The linesman is there do say if a goal was offside or not, why do we need VAR for that? Yeah there are mistakes but that's football. 

48 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

ItNP_20191111_SPURS11_5244397.jpg just doesn't work in football. It took the VAR team 3 min and 20 seconds to decline Sheffield United their goal the weekend just gone, that's an absolute joke in my eyes. You can NEVER celebrate a goal anymore as you'll know VAR will be looking into it. Its ruining the game. Surely it will be better to just had the refs mistakes. 

The linesman is there do say if a goal was offside or not, why do we need VAR for that? Yeah there are mistakes but that's football. 

Mistakes are not acceptable when technology is available and used correctly. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Mistakes are not acceptable when technology is available and used correctly. 

Yeah but the problem is that it is not being used correctly.

Waste of time, kick it out now.

Edited by sployal

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

I'm presuming that offside was given against the player at the top of the photo? If that was given as offside it is wrong. The only part of his body that is in front of the last defender is his hand and you cannot score with your hand. The entire concept is fucking farcical. I agree...ref's call....end off!

3 minutes ago, sployal said:

Yeah but the problem is that it is not being used correctly.

Waste of time, kick it out now.

Imo it has become far too complicated mate.

15 minutes ago, sployal said:

When will it be introduced to the SPL?

Please don't tempt fate my man....:flashing-lol:

16 minutes ago, sployal said:

Old firm games being decided by VAR FFS the irony of it

Carnage....fucking carnage mate....

31 minutes ago, Harold said:

I'm presuming that offside was given against the player at the top of the photo? If that was given as offside it is wrong. The only part of his body that is in front of the last defender is his hand and you cannot score with your hand. The entire concept is fucking farcical. I agree...ref's call....end off!

Imo it has become far too complicated mate.

Yes, if the offside is as close as the above picture shows, then you have to give the forward the advantage!

14 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Yes, if the offside is as close as the above picture shows, then you have to give the forward the advantage!

I agree mate but my point was (& it really has nothing to do with giving a forward benefit of the doubt although I do agree with that sentiment) that if they are going to use this technology then the image clearly shows that there was no part of the forward's body that could be used to score a goal. How the VAR came to that decision is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

I agree mate but my point was (& it really has nothing to do with giving a forward benefit of the doubt although I do agree with that sentiment) that if they are going to use this technology then the image clearly shows that there was no part of the forward's body that could be used to score a goal. How the VAR came to that decision is beyond me.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, but then isn't he interfering with the play if he's offside?

56 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, but then isn't he interfering with the play if he's offside?

But he's not offside (because, as I understand it, only a part of the body that can be used to score a goal can be considered offside) & he cannot be considered to be 'interfering' with play out on the wing surely ?

I'm not sure how the game went from after that screen grab, if the ball was passed to him then he's interfering.

The offside rule should be just that, no ifs or buts. If you are in front of their last defender then your offside if a ball is kicked forward!

There are too many interpretations of people being "Interfering" in play!

4 hours ago, boro_boy said:

I would like to know the original decision of this action and why it went to VAR.

46 minutes ago, sployal said:

I would like to know the original decision of this action and why it went to VAR.

Their 2nd goal went to VAR too, but that one was allowed!

11 hours ago, Harold said:

But I thought VAR was going to eliminate all mistakes ?...............................:b0201:.........Total farce!

It's not the system; it's the people using it who are the problem.
How does one remove the human factor?

8 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

It's not the system; it's the people using it who are the problem.
How does one remove the human factor?

It's a bit of both Hairy, moreso in offside decisions....when you get these indicator lines and it's the technology that states millimeter offside...there is no grey area whatsoever. If VAR cannot get it correct then bin it and give all power back to the ref. I heard some clown on SSN this morning trying to defend it by saying that it is still in its early days....What a load of bollox. The main rules have been around for long and weary...

14 hours ago, Harold said:

It's a bit of both Hairy, moreso in offside decisions....when you get these indicator lines and it's the technology that states millimeter offside...there is no grey area whatsoever. If VAR cannot get it correct then bin it and give all power back to the ref. I heard some clown on SSN this morning trying to defend it by saying that it is still in its early days....What a load of bollox. The main rules have been around for long and weary...

I agree on the offside issue.
My understanding was that the whole of the player's body has to be past the opposing player.

Perhaps simplest solution is to bin the offside rule.

VAR wouldn't need to be involved in suchlike incidents....Goal line technology would have indicated straightaway that it was over the line.

35 minutes ago, Harold said:

VAR wouldn't need to be involved in suchlike incidents....Goal line technology would have indicated straightaway that it was over the line.

Is "Goal line technology " not part of the VAR package?
If not then it certainly should be.

20 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Is "Goal line technology " not part of the VAR package?
If not then it certainly should be.

It was on the go in the EPL at least since last season mate prior to VAR.