Sign in to follow this  
Mr Magnificent

Alex Salmond in Soap & Bubble

8 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Too much smoke for there not to be some form of fire and the fact that there are several different women making similar accusations doesn't look good for him.....the Prosecution my use the Moorov Doctrine in its assertions...

The Moorov doctrine is a mechanism which applies where a person is accused of two or more separate offences, connected in time and circumstances. In such a case, where each of the offences charged is spoken to by a single credible witness, that evidence may corroborate, and be corroborated by, the other single witnesses, so as to enable the conviction of the accused on all the charges. In order for the doctrine to operate, each of the offences must be competently charged. It is not possible to rely for corroboration of a charge upon evidence of conduct, however similar, in respect of which the accused has previously been convicted or acquitted. The operation of the doctrine involves similar issues to cases of similar fact evidence, since it permits evidence relating to one alleged crime to be used in support of a charge relating to a separate incident. 

1 hour ago, Harold said:

Too much smoke for there not to be some form of fire and the fact that there are several different women making similar accusations doesn't look good for him.....the Prosecution my use the Moorov Doctrine in its assertions...

The Moorov doctrine is a mechanism which applies where a person is accused of two or more separate offences, connected in time and circumstances. In such a case, where each of the offences charged is spoken to by a single credible witness, that evidence may corroborate, and be corroborated by, the other single witnesses, so as to enable the conviction of the accused on all the charges. In order for the doctrine to operate, each of the offences must be competently charged. It is not possible to rely for corroboration of a charge upon evidence of conduct, however similar, in respect of which the accused has previously been convicted or acquitted. The operation of the doctrine involves similar issues to cases of similar fact evidence, since it permits evidence relating to one alleged crime to be used in support of a charge relating to a separate incident. 

I am not a fan of Salmond,  and while there may be some basis for these claims, I'd have to say that once more trial by media seems to have taken precedence over conventional justice.

57 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I am not a fan of Salmond,  and while there may be some basis for these claims, I'd have to say that once more trial by media seems to have taken precedence over conventional justice.

I agree Hairy....but bear in mind that Salmond and his likes court media attention. I'm not saying he is guilty or not but if you enjoy being in the media you should not be able to pick and choose when.

15 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Why has this taken so long to come to light?

It has been well known for quite some time, well ever since the allegations came to light....earlier this year I believe.

16 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

And if he is acquitted should the women who lied be put on trial?

There would have to be enough evidence to prove they are lying. You have to remember that even if he is found not guilty that doesn't mean that the women have been lying, it means that the prosecution didn't have enough evidence to convince a jury plus the defence will be trying like hell to put doubt by whichever means into the minds of the jury.

31 minutes ago, Harold said:

Trial to start today....there will be no live television or streaming of this occasion.

Is there usually?

56 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Is there usually?

not usually but there can be....there was something within the last year or so which stated that criminal trials can be shown.

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

Hope the cunt gets found guilty and gets locked up for a long time and then gets bummed in prison. 

It's difficult to believe anyone would want to turd punch him

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

Hope the cunt gets found guilty and gets locked up for a long time and then gets bummed in prison. 

Is that because you think he is guilty or that you don't like him or his political stance?

7 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Is that because you think he is guilty or that you don't like him or his political stance?

I would probably think both reasons are good enough :beer:

I have no axe to grind either way on this, but 9 times out of 10 in such cases there is an absence of corroboration, which is something unique and essential in Scottish law. So it all comes down to hearsay and one person's word against another's.

Nothing has yet been proven.
Plus the amount of past and current media coverage means that finding an unbiased jury may be difficult.
Unfortunately trial by media has become all too common in the UK in the past two or three decades.

2 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

but 9 times out of 10 in such cases there is an absence of corroboration, which is something unique and essential in Scottish law. So it all comes down to hearsay and one person's word against another's.

Moorov Doctrine ?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Harold said:

Moorov Doctrine ?

Even there I think that there has to be corroboration of evidence for two or more of the alleged offences.
The fact that multiple complainants advance similar accounts may suggest a pattern of behaviour but does not necessarily provide a sufficient degree of corroboration.

Edited by Hairy Scot

49 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Even there I think that there has to be corroboration of evidence for two or more of the alleged offences.
The fact that multiple complainants advance similar accounts may suggest a pattern of behaviour but does not necessarily provide a sufficient degree of corroboration.

I think my previous post re the Moorov covers that mate.

6 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

Yes, but is it applicable in this case?

I don't see why not considering the wording in the explanation of the doctrine that I posted.

1 hour ago, Harold said:

I don't see why not considering the wording in the explanation of the doctrine that I posted.

I have some reservations. But let's wait and see how things turn out in the courts.

I just hope that my office pranks don't come back to haunt me.    :chuckling-gesture-smiley-emoticon:

Don't know if anyone has been following this via reports in the papers but honest to God, the allegations being made against this man are quite shocking. Remember, Salmond was top guy in Scottish Politics and to even think that he behaved as he is alleged to is, again....shocking. It has been well known for many years that he was a bully to other MSPs & staff...could it be that his power has led him to believe he was untouchable....a la Weinstein ?