boro_boy

Gambling on credit cards to be banned

11 minutes ago, Makdee said:

If I go to my local  pay by card. If I get a taxi I pay by card.

WTF ?.....lol         I am resisiting the change....fuck cards....cash man me.

12 minutes ago, Makdee said:

I have not carried cash for a couple of years

I have only started using a card in the last year or so when I go to the bank to withdraw......................................CASH!......lol. Old school me mate. Fucking detest this change in society!

Gambling via a credit card counts the same as withdrawing cash on a credit card and immediately started costing interest. Not a good place to be in to be using this for gambling. 

don’t think this is a cash v card debate, as a debit card Is no different to using cash, you need to have the money to spend it (overdraft omitting)

10 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

I pay for everything with card. Hardly ever carry cash. 

So you and everyone else who work that way have no reason to complain about the closure of banks.....there are many older people (and I include myself and my wife in this) that prefer using cash in certain transactions. ...who prefer a face to face situation when discussing financial affairs. I have absolutely no trust in computers and have no desire to do my banking that way!

3 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

don’t think this is a cash v card debate, as a debit card Is no different to using cash, you need to have the money to spend it

difference being mate is if you have £ X grand in your account and it (card) is banned you can only use the cash in your pocket.

3 minutes ago, Harold said:

difference being mate is if you have £ X grand in your account and it (card) is banned you can only use the cash in your pocket.

Yeah the discussion was to ban credit cards. If you ban debit cards from bookies all people will do is withdraw their cash and spend it! Don’t think it’s fair to ban debit cards as that’s your cash

4 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

Yeah the discussion was to ban credit cards. If you ban debit cards from bookies all people will do is withdraw their cash and spend it! Don’t think it’s fair to ban debit cards as that’s your cash

Yeah debit cards are different. 

Well thats if your not betting on your overdraft. But whos to know. Banning Credit cards is a good move and i'm all fore it. Anyway I thought betting with credit cards is treated the same as withdrawing cash, I mean the same high APR?

4 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

If you ban debit cards from bookies all people will do is withdraw their cash and spend it!

Then they shall have to do that mate. If that is the situation they 'may' be detered from betting more.

1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

Well thats if your not betting on your overdraft. But whos to know. Banning Credit cards is a good move and i'm all fore it. Anyway I thought betting with credit cards is treated the same as withdrawing cash, I mean the same high APR?

Whats strange is that you can still buy lottery tickets and probably play their games using your credit card. 

Very strange. 

4 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Yeah same high APR as withdrawing cash. It’s bad news mate

4 minutes ago, Harold said:

Then they shall have to do that mate. If that is the situation they 'may' be detered from betting more.

They may be, but it’s like others have said. Addicts will always find a way and you can’t make it more difficult for responsible gamblers, it’s a very fine line

6 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

They may be, but it’s like others have said. Addicts will always find a way and you can’t make it more difficult for responsible gamblers, it’s a very fine line

At the end of the day, if your addicted to gambling in a bad way and you now can't use credit cards, which is basically gambling with money you don't have, thats a very good start to sorting this horrible industry out. 

1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

At the end of the day, if your addicted to gambling in a bad way and you now can't use credit cards, which is basically gambling with money you don't have, thats a very good start to sorting this horrible industry out. 

Dream on addicts don’t care about anything other than getting their fix as I said if that means dodgy money lenders so be it. And it the families who will suffer even more from threats and intimidation at the very least to getting houses petrol bombed and various levels of kickings 

5 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Totally agree 

3 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Dream on addicts don’t care about anything other than getting their fix as I said if that means dodgy money lenders so be it. And it the families who will suffer even more from threats and intimidation at the very least to getting houses petrol bombed and various levels of kickings 

Agreed. Like they give a shit about debit or credit?

4 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Who would you class as dodgy money lenders. 

Do you mean big john from down the road, who will smash fuck out of your face when you don't pay back what you owe?

5 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Who would you class as dodgy money lenders. 

Do you mean big john from down the road, who will smash fuck out of your face when you don't pay back what you owe?

There’s plenty in every town city and even village so take your pick 

44 minutes ago, Harold said:

So you and everyone else who work that way have no reason to complain about the closure of banks.....there are many older people (and I include myself and my wife in this) that prefer using cash in certain transactions. ...who prefer a face to face situation when discussing financial affairs. I have absolutely no trust in computers and have no desire to do my banking that way!

I still go into my bank I still discuss financial matters face to face that has nothing to do with using cards. You do realise banks are pushing for a cashless society

33 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

you can’t make it more difficult for responsible gamblers,

If they know cards are not permitted what is the problem with them accessing actual cash before they go to the bookies?

I draw cash when i go to my local bar betting shop 50€ max, apart from that i pay everything by card, i also haven't had a check book for over 3 years and the last time i was inside my bank is well over 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Makdee said:

I still go into my bank I still discuss financial matters face to face that has nothing to do with using cards.

But the more one uses cards and less actual cash the less actual banking transactions are used.

8 minutes ago, Makdee said:

You do realise banks are pushing for a cashless society

I don't live under a fucking cabbage mate....of course I do....that is why I and many many others protest and totally object to the push on doing away with banks. Plus....how many employees will be made redundant if this happens ?

Just now, Harold said:

But the more one uses cards and less actual cash the less actual banking transactions are used.

I don't live under a fucking cabbage mate....of course I do....that is why I and many many others protest and totally object to the push on doing away with banks. Plus....how many employees will be made redundant if this happens ?

They are being made redundant unfortunately because the banks want it and what they will do is keep shutting them leaving it to awkward to get to. My local branch shut three years ago the next one 20 minutes away shut just over a year now I have to travel for an hour to my nearest branch. I don’t want anyone losing their job  but its happening whether we want it or not. I use cards because it’s easier and more convenient it allows me to keep track immediately.   

2 minutes ago, Makdee said:

They are being made redundant unfortunately because the banks want it and what they will do is keep shutting them leaving it to awkward to get to. My local branch shut three years ago the next one 20 minutes away shut just over a year now I have to travel for an hour to my nearest branch. I don’t want anyone losing their job  but its happening whether we want it or not. I use cards because it’s easier and more convenient it allows me to keep track immediately.   

I find more convenient to not use cash and not go to a bank, but i've moved with the times. I bank with Starling and they are very good, its an app only bank, and they have live chat if you have any problems with your bank account. I just don't think there is a need for the traditional bank as everything can be done on the internet. You can even take photos of cheques to put into your bank (Well soon anyway) I know you can already do this with some banks.

I still don't understand people who don't use Direct Debits too, my missus works for BT and the just gets people ringing up to pay their bill, FFS!!!