HS2......Another White Elephant?

Normski

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Normski said:

Supposedly as much a white elephant as the Millennial Dome

£100m spent so far

The Millenium dome was a great idea in the end, its used all the time as an arena. 

I think they should just crack on with it, they've spent too much on it already to just fuck it off. But then again they could scrap it and bring back some of the railways that Dr closed down years ago!!

12 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

The Millenium dome was a great idea in the end, its used all the time as an arena. 

I think they should just crack on with it, they've spent too much on it already to just fuck it off. But then again they could scrap it and bring back some of the railways that Dr closed down years ago!!

£900m 20 yrs ago?you think that amount is justified?

Edited by Normski

20 minutes ago, Normski said:

Supposedly as much a white elephant as the Millennial Dome

£100m spent so far

Phew....just as well it wasn't a black elephant eh Norm ?.....lol

£100 mill and rising mate!!! No cunt knows how much the cost will end up at. Farcical.

13 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I think they should just crack on with it

Tell that to the people, the communities that have been/will be fucked off thanks to 'compulsory' purchase orders....these things are a disgrace, a blight on our society. NOT ONE property should ever be subjected to that!!!

Methinks mate that your opinion would be different if it was you & your property that was being taken from you.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Normski said:

£900m 20 yrs ago?you think that amount is justified?

Didn't realise it cost that much but its surely paid for itself over and over!! Its a tourist attraction now and a great venue for concerts!

31 minutes ago, Normski said:

£100m spent so far

Think it's a lot more than that mate.....Financial times says cost even before construction started was over £4bill and the final total could well be over £100 bill according to numerous reports.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Harold said:

Tell that to the people, the communities that have been/will be fucked off thanks to 'compulsory' purchase orders....these things are a disgrace, a blight on our society. NOT ONE property should ever be subjected to that!!!

Methinks mate that your opinion would be different if it was you & your property that was being taken from you.

I thought these have already happened? They've bought loads of houses, I thought they have bought them all so that's why i'm saying they should just crack on with it. 

Personally I think its a waste of time and money but there are loads of jobs at risk now if it doesn't happen, they have started to build the station at Birmingham, seen that last week on the news. Its not an easy yes or no to build this as there are so many external factors to think about:

20 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

They've bought loads of houses

yes they have and even at least one NEW housing estate but apparently there are court cases ongoing regards valuations offered by HS2. There have been a lot of under market valuations.

21 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I thought these have already happened?

Reason I said what I said is that I don't think the exact detailed route for phases 2a & 2b have actually been confirmed so presumably property cannot be purchased until that happens. Irrespective...I believe it is totally immoral.

24 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Its not an easy yes or no to build this as there are so many external factors to think about:

I read that this new line would save 20 minutes travelling time. Wow!

6 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

What are your thoughts on a bridge to Scotland Bastion my good man?

I'd be all for it, Build it in Donaghadee to Portpatrick.......

I could be in Scotland in half an hour........

21 minutes ago, Bastion said:

I'd be all for it, Build it in Donaghadee to Portpatrick.......

I could be in Scotland in half an hour........

Curious....where is the nearest coastal town in the republic to Scotland mate ? Cos that is the only place where a connecting bridge would be built......SNP ye see.

19 minutes ago, Harold said:

Curious....where is the nearest coastal town in the republic to Scotland mate ? Cos that is the only place where a connecting bridge would be built......SNP ye see.

Carlingford maybe...... 

3 hours ago, Harold said:

Not only those, people like myself! Seriously pissed off about the number of pubs lost/to be lost by this project. Recently the Eagle & Tun closed because of a CCO. Upset a lot of people that has. The money would be better spent, upgrading existing rail routes, and expanding others. 11 minutes of a journey from Brum to London really isn't worth it IMO.

Can't say i'm surprised there was a fire there shortly after closing the Eagle & Tun. such a stunning building to be lost forever due to HS2.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/birmingham/2020/01/17/homeless-man-severely-burned-in-digbeth-pub-fire/