Jump to content

Devolution - An Uneasy Compromise?


Guest

Recommended Posts

Has devolution worked?

What benefits have Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales gained from devolution?

Would a return to central government be better?

Or what else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

Has devolution worked?

What benefits have Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales gained from devolution?

Would a return to central government be better?

Or what else?

Quite a complex subject Hairy. We're supposed to be going out this morning so I'll return it and offer my humble opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Harold said:

Quite a complex subject Hairy. We're supposed to be going out this morning so I'll return it and offer my humble opinion.

Indeed a complex subject. One I hope we can discuss amicably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Devolution...hmmm. To be honest it is not something that I have given any great thought to as to whether it was correct or wrong. Simply that the UK government saw fit for whatever reason to devolve various powers. Having received the powers I wasn't looking to see if the Scottish Executive would be competent or fail in handling/running the various institutions involved, I was accepting in that it had been given these powers and that it would run them to the best of their ability for the benefit of everyone in Scotland. Unfortunately I don't believe that in the main it has been successful especially in the three main headings of NHS, Education and Law and Order. Irrespective of how much money has been flung at each of those and irrespective of the spin the SNP now proffer in response to the criticism they have received....NHS, Education and Law and order are certainly not in good health. All three are in a poor way and one, not necessarily the most important, the Police Force, especially since the unification of all Forces in Scotland, another SNP progressive great idea, to become 'Police Scotland', has been an unmitigated disaster. Scotland also has tax raising powers and middle earning families are now the highest taxed in the UK but not that long ago due to tax income prediction being seriously incorrect the UK government had to bail Scotland out to the tune of over £700 mill. Notwithstanding what I have said about NHS, Education & Law & Order...I am actually flabbergasted that Sturgeon has actually had the gall to demand, yes demand that the power to hold another separation referendum be devolved from Westminster into the grubby paws of the SNP (I use that term because it is not for Scotland's benefit...it is simply for the separatists....just like they have commandeered the Saltire for their own purpose. Saltire now = separation). Just a few wee off the top of my head points to get the ball rolling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
11 minutes ago, Harold said:

Devolution...hmmm. To be honest it is not something that I have given any great thought to as to whether it was correct or wrong. Simply that the UK government saw fit for whatever reason to devolve various powers. Having received the powers I wasn't looking to see if the Scottish Executive would be competent or fail in handling/running the various institutions involved, I was accepting in that it had been given these powers and that it would run them to the best of their ability for the benefit of everyone in Scotland. Unfortunately I don't believe that in the main it has been successful especially in the three main headings of NHS, Education and Law and Order. Irrespective of how much money has been flung at each of those and irrespective of the spin the SNP now proffer in response to the criticism they have received....NHS, Education and Law and order are certainly not in good health. All three are in a poor way and one, not necessarily the most important, the Police Force, especially since the unification of all Forces in Scotland, another SNP progressive great idea, to become 'Police Scotland', has been an unmitigated disaster. Scotland also has tax raising powers and middle earning families are now the highest taxed in the UK but not that long ago due to tax income prediction being seriously incorrect the UK government had to bail Scotland out to the tune of over £700 mill. Notwithstanding what I have said about NHS, Education & Law & Order...I am actually flabbergasted that Sturgeon has actually had the gall to demand, yes demand that the power to hold another separation referendum be devolved from Westminster into the grubby paws of the SNP (I use that term because it is not for Scotland's benefit...it is simply for the separatists....just like they have commandeered the Saltire for their own purpose. Saltire now = separation). Just a few wee off the top of my head points to get the ball rolling.

Agree with certain things mate disagree with others. But this one always gets me is  people can only take possession of a flag if we let them. Same as over here with the tricolour everyone says the Provos stole it they didn’t the simple fact is I hear the bigots here talking/singing about the Green white and Gold not orange as there tiny minds don’t comprehend things. It’s not the first time I have ripped so called rebels apart because of their stupidity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Makdee said:

 people can only take possession of a flag if we let them.

Well, you can't really stop them adopting it though Mak. It has been flown in so many pro-separation demos/marches now that it is seen & has been for some years as a symbol of separation. The fact that I would never vote SNP would certainly stop me, or any other unionist imo, flying a Saltire in my garden (for fear of being branded a separatist) or having a Saltire Sticker in my window. Having said what I did, tbh I, personally, am more at home with the Union Flag which as you will know includes the Saltire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
7 minutes ago, Harold said:

Well, you can't really stop them adopting it though Mak. It has been flown in so many pro-separation demos/marches now that it is seen & has been for some years as a symbol of separation. The fact that I would never vote SNP would certainly stop me, or any other unionist imo, flying a Saltire in my garden (for fear of being branded a separatist) or having a Saltire Sticker in my window. Having said what I did, tbh I, personally, am more at home with the Union Flag which as you will know includes the Saltire.

To be fair if people would use it who are against independence then it wouldn’t be classed as an SNP tool. I have no time for the SNP and if I lived over there I would never vote for them. That doesn’t mean I am totally against independence it’s more I don’t trust any political parties to do it properly And yes I am aware the Union Flag has the Saltire in it?

Edited by Makdee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Makdee said:

To be fair if people would use it who are against independence then it wouldn’t be classed as an SNP tool.

Not feasible mate and I didn't really bring it up as a problem simply to show how the separatists operate. Unionists are quite contented that the Union Flag represents us all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
4 minutes ago, Harold said:

Not feasible mate and I didn't really bring it up as a problem simply to show how the separatists operate. Unionists are quite contented that the Union Flag represents us all!

Unfortunately that’s the way with anything some people see a flag as divisive others don’t. Such is life mate we are all a wee bit different 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

Has devolution worked? No, one of the worst decisions to come from Westminster.

What benefits have Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales gained from devolution? Nothing if not to give them a crying voice in the instance of the SNP and Sturgeon who for example tries to come across as a main political leader when really she has no say, no clout and a Scottish shit stirrer.

Would a return to central government be better? Of course, with BREXIT Westminster must tighten the reins and annonce who is in control.

Or what else? Anarchy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    7k
    Total Topics
    176.2k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    820
    Total Members
    3,654
    Most Online
    shiva1993
    Newest Member
    shiva1993
    Joined
  • New users  0 New users online in the last 24 hours

    No new users

×
×
  • Create New...