Gerrard

Mango

Hi,

I noticed Gerrard slipping. It was before the Hearts game. Rangers had just won a cup game 2-0 with their reserves and he criticised players for not doing more.

In my opinion this was the wrong move as the team was doing well and results could have been praised.

Perhaps the performance was not up to par, however I feel the headlines before Hearts were negative.

For the record I only follow Rangers loosely as a second team but as soon as I heard his quotes I fancied an insurance bet against Rangers .

I feel it may be down to him seeing the problems coming, but I also feel the best move was not to challenge the players.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mango said:

Hi,

I noticed Gerrard slipping. It was before the Hearts game. Rangers had just won a cup game 2-0 with their reserves and he criticised players for not doing more.

In my opinion this was the wrong move as the team was doing well and results could have been praised.

Perhaps the performance was not up to par, however I feel the headlines before Hearts were negative.

For the record I only follow Rangers loosely as a second team but as soon as I heard his quotes I fancied an insurance bet against Rangers .

I feel it may be down to him seeing the problems coming, but I also feel the best move was not to challenge the players.

What are your thoughts?

What do you mean by slipping? Do you think he's losing the plot. He might just know what he wants and if the players aren't responding to what he wants, he's then criticising them. He's doing alright at the moment though, isn't he?

13 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

What do you mean by slipping? Do you think he's losing the plot. He might just know what he wants and if the players aren't responding to what he wants, he's then criticising them. He's doing alright at the moment though, isn't he?

I'm gonna guess it's in reference to Demba Ba Day.......

4 hours ago, Bastion said:

I'm gonna guess it's in reference to Demba Ba Day.......

It was a bit cheeky but yes he literally slipped for the title that day and the match before it said "we do not let this slip". Sometimes I think his own negative fears project onto the team he is trying to control, especially in a title race.

I have a feeling the players can't do what he wants and criticising them for lack of ability or improvement when they could not improve more was detrimental as they were already doing well. He was doing okay before Hearts.

4 hours ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Welcome to The Pleasure Dome.

Who is your first team?

Spurs, for my sins.

I occasionally visit Rangers related forums like Gersnet, Follow Follow, and Rangers Media; on all three there are heated discussions on whether or not SG or the players are to blame for the current slump in form.

The manager is certainly responsible for selecting who gets onto the field, but once they're there he has no influence on their performance.

16 hours ago, Mango said:

It was a bit cheeky but yes he literally slipped for the title that day and the match before it said "we do not let this slip". Sometimes I think his own negative fears project onto the team he is trying to control, especially in a title race.

I have a feeling the players can't do what he wants and criticising them for lack of ability or improvement when they could not improve more was detrimental as they were already doing well. He was doing okay before Hearts.

Spurs, for my sins.

AKA Slippy G

16 hours ago, Mango said:

He picks the players, he picks the team...yes......... both acquisitions and team selection are obviously based on what he believes the payers can show/achieve. He coaches them on how he wants the play to pan out but as Hairy said, when the players cross the line then he (Gerrard) has little influence. Imo whether he could use subs better is debatable....but the crux of what you are saying above.....Players quite rightly get the plaudits when things go well so they have to accept that none of them are above criticism.