boro_boy

Government Covid-19 text

6 minutes ago, sployal said:

Brexit obliged, i have not received this message, does this mean all diplomatic ties have been cut?

I think people who have used gov.uk for tax returns or whatever reason have received them as a phone number is required. Outside of this, I really cannot see how or why the Govt would be able to send a message to over 60 million mobile phones, or how/where they would get the numbers.

39 minutes ago, superally said:

I think people who have used gov.uk for tax returns or whatever reason have received them as a phone number is required. Outside of this, I really cannot see how or why the Govt would be able to send a message to over 60 million mobile phones, or how/where they would get the numbers.

From service providers.

Quite an easy thing to do really.

2 hours ago, Mr Magnificent said:

From service providers.

Quite an easy thing to do really.

Yeah your 100% correct as usual fella. All these foreign owned network providers, have been able to provide the UK govt, all those phone numbers within a few hours, thus sending 60+ million texts, at the same time as knowing what country each of their subscribers live in.

As you say, quite an easy thing to do. Yet for every 1 person i know in the UK who has gotten the text, i know at least 10 that have not.

I think my theory holds more weight than yours.

8 minutes ago, superally said:

Yeah your 100% correct as usual fella. All these foreign owned network providers, have been able to provide the UK govt, all those phone numbers within a few hours, thus sending 60+ million texts, at the same time as knowing what country each of their subscribers live in.

As you say, quite an easy thing to do. Yet for every 1 person i know in the UK who has gotten the text, i know at least 10 that have not.

Bullshit!

Consider it like an email that goes out to all. 

All the providers have done is sent the text message to every number on their network.

Routers know where the phones are from last previous communication.  The have built in algorithms to sort this. 

8 hours ago, superally said:

I think your wrong, I read that the government asked the mobile providers to send that text as we don't have a proper system in place for emergencies which was tested a few years ago and was successfull but was never made/released for some reason. 

So I don't think it's if you've used the gov.uk website. I'll try and find the news story, it was from the daily mail I think, so it has to be true haha.

No government agency has my mobile number. I have a simple PAYG mobile. I got the message sometime yesterday afternoon.

13 hours ago, sployal said:

Brexit obliged, i have not received this message, does this mean all diplomatic ties have been cut?

They have declined to send the letter to eaters of snails mate. Viva la fish supper!